"Honky tonk"; "Flyin' home"; "After hours

Stereojack pointed out that the solos on the crucial versions of these tunes became part of the tunes and were played by everyone who played the tune (at least as a starting point).

Are there any others? I can't think of any, offhand, but I expect I'll say, "oh yes", when you remind me :)

MG

Green Onions

Not sure about that - I think I have several versions that are quite a bit different - Kankawa's is one, from the album BIII, I think. I seem to remember that Henry Mancini's is different, too. And I have another big band version, that I can't remember just at present. Hm, Milt Buckner's, too. I'll have to check.

I've thought of another - "The Pink Panther theme".

MG

Green Onions

Not sure about that - I think I have several versions that are quite a bit different - Kankawa's is one, from the album BIII, I think. I seem to remember that Henry Mancini's is different, too. And I have another big band version, that I can't remember just at present. Hm, Milt Buckner's, too. I'll have to check.

MG

Well, I've checked a few versions now. I was wrong about Kankawa's version - it feels different because of heavy wah wah guitar from Hiram Bullock in the intro, but it isn't.

I found only two versions where they don't play Booker T's solo as part of the tune; both involve Milt Buckner. One's from his own album "Green onions" (Black & Blue); the other's from Eddie Chamblee's album "Twenty years after" (Black & Blue). In both versions, Milt does his "Green onions, make your belly stick right out" thing. And when he solos, he doesn't play the Booker T solo. And nor does Eddie Chamblee, on his version.

So I reckon you're right about that, with two exceptions.

MG

I was actually thinking of people quoting Steve Cropper, at least to start their quitar bits; that and the experience of reading the sheet music in a fake book and not seeing what I thought of as the melody, but that's been a while and I'd have to check it to be sure, might just have been that fake book...

King Oliver's solo on "Dippermouth Blues." Aside from the times when "Dippermouth" was the tune at hand very often (especially swing era) musicians would use it as a stock up blues line. Benny Goodman used it often and almost every one of the jams that ends the Eddie Condon Town Hall concerts goes out with a phrase from this solo.

Sam Butera's "Just a Gigolo" solo with Louis Prima.

To a large extent George Brunis' "Tin Roof Blues" solo is very often quoted.