Forthcoming ECM releases

Guy Berger

Some of these have been in print recently, others have not. I do not know which will be available in the US.

2009/10 ECM catalogue

John Abercrombie Trio, Speak of the Devil

Arild Andersen Quartet, If You Look Far Enough

Arild Andersen & Masqualero, Re-Enter

Arild Andersen Quartet, Lifelines

Paul Bley Quartet, Ballads [1967 recording with Altschul & Peacock]

Gary Burton & Steve Swallow, Hotel Hello

Gary Burton Quartet, The New Quartet

Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition, Album Album

Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition, Inflation Blues

Egberto Gismonti, Solo

Mick Goodrick Quartet, In Pas(s)ing

Dave Holland Quintet, Seeds of Time

Dave Holland Quartet, Conference of the Birds

Stephen Micus, Darkness and Light

Paul Motian Trio, It Should've Happened a Long Time Ago

Old and New Dreams, self-titled

Old and New Dreams, Playing

Julian Priester Ensemble, Love Love

Terje Rypdal and the Chasers, Blue

Terje Rypdal Quartet, Waves

Louis Sclavis Quintet, Rouge

John Surman, Upon Reflection

Ralph Towner & John Abercrombie, Five Years Later

Ralph Towner, Solo Concert

Ralph Towner with Glen Moore [and the rest of Oregon], Trios/Solos

Mal Waldron, Free at Last

Eberhard Weber, The Colours of Chloe

Kenny Wheeler Quintet, The Widow in the Window

Box Sets:

Arild Andersen 3 CD - includes Clouds in My Head, Shimri, Green Shading into Blue

Chick Corea 3 CD solo piano - includes Piano Improvisations vols. 1 & 2, Children's Songs

Jan Garbarek 3 CD - includes Sart, Witchi Tai To, Dansere

Terje Rypdal 4 CD - includes Whenever I Seem to Be Far Away, Odyssey, After the Rain

Eberhard Weber, 3 CD - includes Yellow Fields, Silent Feet, Little Movements

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arild Andersen 3 CD - includes Clouds in My Head, Shimri, Green Shading into Blue

Don't ever recall seeing these on CD. I look forward to the set as I've never heard them.

The Weber box is made up of three wonderful albums - shimmery, minimalist-influenced (though not dominated) music that takes the route from In a Silent Way that Miles didn't.

The two Old and New Dreams were my introduction to Ornette Coleman in the late 70s/early 80s.

Kenny Wheeler's 'The Widow in the Window' is one of his best two - contemporary with 'Music for Large and Small Ensembles.'

Lots of other great records there too, if you're attune to the ECM approach.

Could Lookout Farm be somewhere down the line?

Edited by Bev Stapleton

It is very good to see Jack DeJohnette's "Inflation Blues" on CD at last. That is one to join the Old and New Dreams and Dave Holland CDs in the "better than the usual ECM" category.

Hmm!

Great records, all. But I'd describe them as 'more Americanised than usual' (which is not a criticism) rather than 'better than usual'.

That's nice, but it would be nicer if they released something that never came out on CD like this:

Now that's a good move, how about Arcade, M and Quartet? Arcade came out as a pricey Japanese import, but it may not even be in print now.

I'm on record here regarding my ambivalence towards all things ECM, BUT make no mistake, Conference of the Birds is fine music by any standard!

Same here.

Except I would add the Old and New Dreams reissues to that Conference of the Birds album. Fine music, indeed!

And of course the Mal Waldron! That one was the very first release on ECM!

That's nice, but it would be nicer if they released something that never came out on CD like this:

Now that's a good move, how about Arcade, M and Quartet? Arcade came out as a pricey Japanese import, but it may not even be in print now.

jaber04.jpg

It is very good to see Jack DeJohnette's "Inflation Blues" on CD at last. That is one to join the Old and New Dreams and Dave Holland CDs in the "better than the usual ECM" category.

Hmm!

Great records, all. But I'd describe them as 'more Americanised than usual' (which is not a criticism) rather than 'better than usual'.

Actually, I think that Inflation Blues is better than the usual run of ECM albums, by either American or European artists. I do not mean to slight the European artists on ECM, many of whom I like.

I get confused as to which ECMs have already been issued on CD and which are new reissues. To the extent that I want them at all it quite matters to me since older digital issues and reissues from ECM have been of poor sonic quality, in my opinion, and I don't want them. I might in some few cases be lured by more recent remasterings but there seems no way to know what you are getting.

I get confused as to which ECMs have already been issued on CD and which are new reissues. To the extent that I want them at all it quite matters to me since older digital issues and reissues from ECM have been of poor sonic quality, in my opinion, and I don't want them. I might in some few cases be lured by more recent remasterings but there seems no way to know what you are getting.

As a general rule, I have it on good authority that ECM likes the sound of its masterings, and that it does NOT do remastering.

As a general rule, I have it on good authority that ECM likes the sound of its masterings, and that it does NOT do remastering.

That's what I thought.

That's what I thought.

And that's what I thought too. But I don't agree with them and that is why I wish I knew the dates of the digital transfers of analogue material. Obviously with DDD material the recording date tells the story.

That's what I thought.

IIRC they did remaster those "Rarum" compilations from a few years ago. Might be a way for David to sample an artist's ECM tracks in remastered form.

Edited by Aggie87

That's what I thought.

IIRC they did remaster those "Rarum" compilations from a few years ago. Might be a way for David to sample an artist's ECM tracks in remastered form.

Well it's a start! Thanks.