Forthcoming ECM releases

Guy Berger

This one is appearing soon - I like Nude Ants when I'm in the right mood, and I'm looking forward to hearing this. I guess the title will invite cruel and harsh humor from anti-Jarretteers...

31u6Vh6VKaL._SS500_.jpg

Disc: 1

1. Personal Mountains

2. Innocence

3. So Tender

Disc: 2

1. Oasis

2. Chant Of The Soil

3. Prism

4. New Dance

could be interesting. I'd be a lot more excited if it were the Garbarek/Stenson quartet

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the "European quartet", actually. Nothing to complain about in an opportunity to hear more. That was a good band playing at a very high level.

If I'm going to complain about anything, it's about thinking that all complaints about all things ECM are all the same. I'll call bullshit on that one, and pay for the call myself.

• 1 year later...

I thought Charlie was too sick to play. Maybe that's why it's called Last Dance.

Wouldn't surprise me if these recordings are from the same sessions as Jasmine. Either way, calling it Last Dance could be construed as being a bit cynical and manipulative on ECM's part, but i guess benefit of the doubt and all that.

I love the Bley cover - CD is finally on the way, hope to have it here this week!

The Jarrett/Haden will be of interest - when was it recorded? I dimly remember reading Charlie was doing somewhat better, but I don't remember details. He, to me, is one of the greats. Jarrett can be happy he bothers to play with him, as he's no Hank Jones by a long stretch ... but yeah, "Jasmine" wasn't too bad. Still, the Haden/Jones duo looms over any other duos haden does with piano players and to my ears, none of them are quite up there, not even Chris Anderson (but he's close, I'd say).

t

I love the Bley cover - CD is finally on the way, hope to have it here this week!

The Jarrett/Haden will be of interest - when was it recorded? I dimly remember reading Charlie was doing somewhat better, but I don't remember details. He, to me, is one of the greats. Jarrett can be happy he bothers to play with him, as he's no Hank Jones by a long stretch ... but yeah, "Jasmine" wasn't too bad. Still, the Haden/Jones duo looms over any other duos haden does with piano players and to my ears, none of them are quite up there, not even Chris Anderson (but he's close, I'd say).

although not being a dedicated Keith Jarrett follower, "Jasmine" actually sounds pretty good to these ears......and regarding Charlie Haden piano duos, for sure more than worth a mention are

7dc818c2e2.jpg

Charlie Haden/Hampton Hawes "As long there is Music" (Artists House) 1978

0624f5f473.jpg

Charlie Haden/Denny Zeitlin "Time remembers one Time once" (ECM) 1982

Edited by soulpope

Not saying any of those are bad or something, the one with Hawes is indeed great! ... there's also two fine discs with Kenny Barron and John Taylor (don't know the Zeitlin)

It's just that to my ears, the ones with Hank Jones reach another level that is out of reach with any of the others (in the case of Barron and Hawes I'm not sure they wanted to go there, but surely Jarrett tried).

Not saying any of those are bad or something, the one with Hawes is indeed great! ... there's also two fine discs with Kenny Barron and John Taylor (don't know the Zeitlin)

didn`t think so ;-) .......just wanted to mention this two recordings.......of course i remember your weak spot for the Haden/Jones duo`s (as my weak spot is firmly in the Haden/Hawes duo`s hands)....

Edited by soulpope

Keith Jarrett / Charlie Haden - "Last Dance" is out in the US on 6/17. It was recorded over four days in March 2007 in Jarrett's home recording studio. These duet sessions resulted in "Jasmine" and now Jarrett and Haden have selected more songs for this new release.

• 7 months later...

ECM releases in early 2015

January 13th:

Chris Potter Underground Orchestra - Imaginary Cities

Chris Potter: tenor and soprano saxophone, bass clarinet

Adam Rogers: guitars

Craig Taborn: piano

Steve Nelson: vibraphone and marimba

Fima Ephron: bass guitar

Scott Colley: acoustic bass

Nate Smith: drums

Mark Feldman: violin

Joyce Hammann: violin

Lois Martin: viola

David Eggar: cello

*** Chris Potter Underground Orchestra in concert:

January 27-31 – NYC – Jazz Standard

March 26 – San Francisco – SF Jazz (part of SF Jazz ECM Week)

*** Chris Potter Underground Quartet (with Adam Rogers, Fima Ephron and Nate Smith)

January 16-17 - West Lafayette, IN at Loeb Playhouse

January 20 – Indianapolis, IN at Jazz Kitchen

January 21 – Lansing, MI at The Loft

January 22-25 – Chicago, IL at Jazz Showcase

February 6 - Philadelphia, PA at Chris's Jazz Cafe

February 7 - Boston, MA at Regattabar

March 14 - Morrow, GA at Spivey Hall

February 3rd :

Kenny Wheeler - Songs For Quintet

Kenny Wheeler: flugelhorn

Stan Sulzmann: tenor saxophone

John Parricelli: guitar

Chris Laurence: double bass

Martin France: drums

February 10th:

Vijay Iyer Trio - Break Stuff

Vijay Iyer: piano

Stefan rump: bass

Marcus Gilmore: drums

*** Extensive 2015 tour dates to be announced.

February 24th:

Anouar Brahem – Souvenance

Music for oud, quartet and string orchestra

Anouar Brahem: oud

François Couturier : piano

Klaus Gesing: bass clarinet, soprano saxophone

Björn Meyer: bass

Orchestra della Svizzera italiana

Pietro Mianiti: conductor

March 10th:

Jack DeJohnette - Made in Chicago

Muhal Richard Abrams: piano