Any good used CD shops in DC?

bebopbob

DC's used cd stores have declined in the past couple of years. Second Story Books, as mentioned is in Dupont Circle, has a wall of used cds, but it is all old stock, nothing fresh coming in. There were numerous CD Game Exchange stores, but many have closed, leaving two -- one in Silver Spring, near the SS metro, and the other in College Park. Neither store is well kept, and recently I saw a sign on the College Park door stating that for unforseen reasons they cannot accept trade ins. Not good. Cdepot, also in College Park, is massive, but it is a mess. You can barely walk throughout the store without stumbling over a box of crappy 12" dance or hip hop records. Their stock of used cds have gone down as well, and their prices seem to have gone up. Joe's Record Paradise, up in Rockville, is okay, but like any used store, is only as good as their stock, and they seem to be on a lull for decent jazz right now. Plus, they are moving to Silver Spring, but where or when is to be determined. Orpheus does not exist -- however, CdCellar, which has stores in Clarendon (near the metro) and in Falls Church, are the only used stores that seem to be doing okay, in that they get promos and fresh new stock of used goods weekly. There is also Record and Tape Exchange in Fairfax, but their prices are way too high - too much studying the OOP prices on Amazon.

There used to be other stores (like a Second Story in Bethesda, music stores in Adam's Morgan. etc.) but all have closed their doors. It's all online now.

Edited by Stefan Wood

As my outdated information makes clear, I'm not a Beltway denizen, just a visitor. But WOW, the scene is changing quickly there...and for the worse, decidedly.

Most of all, sad to hear about Orpheus. I can remember shopping in the old Georgetown location - what? - 20 years ago? And Olsson's used to be all over and seemingly prosperous, with book business to back up the "records"; then again, that's like having a noodle as a crutch - not much support.

Oh yeah, no Olssons' stores either -- the chain closed last year.

There are a couple of small record stores that have arisen -- one off of 14th and U, for one, that carries a nice stock of jazz lps.

Melody Records in Dupont is the only store in the DC area that carries a wide stock of cds and dvds in all genres, domestic and imports. Not cheap, though.

Edited by Stefan Wood

Joe's Record Paradise had a fantastic selection of free jazz goodies after a local collector passed away, but much of that stock has been purchased. Red Onion Books and Records has some used CDs and a decent selection of jazz vinyl at reasonable prices. SOM records on 14th street only carries used vinyl, but the selection is good.

Melody Records in Dupont is the only store in the DC area that carries a wide stock of cds and dvds in all genres, domestic and imports. Not cheap, though.

I try to give them as much business as I can. How much longer they can last is a big question. When they are gone, smaller labels will be available in Washington only by mail order.

I try to give them as much business as I can. How much longer they can last is a big question. When they are gone, smaller labels will be available in Washington only by mail order.

Melody has a good classical selection, as well. I hit CD Cellar in Arlington about once a week as new used stock comes in pretty regularly. Orpheus further down the street had some interesting stuff, but the prices were too high for me.