"DRUMMER'S CORNER"

randissimo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a DVD of Pat Metheny's most recent tour.. This kid he's got on drums, Tony Sanchez is UNREAL! :o:excited:

Anybody know anything about him? Where did he get all that musicality and magic from? I hear a lot of Jack DeJohnette in his approach as well as some very deep latin roots..

Also, I wonder if some of the cymbals belong to Pat??.. I've heard somewhere that Pat has a collection of cymbals he specifically likes to hear when in performance. Is this myth or fact? :w

Edited by randissimo

I'm interested in drumset method books or methods any of you may have developed, particularly for students making the transition from practice pad to drum kit.. I've been using the Jim Chapin book, Ted Reed's Syncopation, and the Alfred's drumset book.. Other suggestions?

I welcome other concepts and approaches to teaching, so as to better instruct young and aspiring drummers...

The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley is a very good book for teaching jazz kit.

http://www.johnriley.org/index.php?section=publications

About hearing loss (stood too close to cymbals for about 20 years as a bass player -- and the guitarist's amp didn't help a lot either!): I mistakenly thought that because loud sounds, like fire engines and rock guitars, started sounding LOUDER I wasn't having hearing loss. I was completely wrong! It's called "recruitment" and it usually involves the same frequencies where you have developed a deficit.

Recruitment:  This condition is ALWAYS a by-product of a hearing loss. (If you don't have a hearing loss, you can't have recruitment.) A person with recruitment perceives volume increases much faster than the actual volume increase. As a result, sounds rapidly become too loud to stand.

Here's a LINK that lists manufacturers of those custom sound-attenuating earplugs (scroll to bottom).

randissimo,

what was it that fascinated you so much about Antonio Sanchez? Care to elaborate? I've never seen the guy live (guess I should have a look at that DVD), but I heard a bit about him.

Cheers!

He has an amazing poly-rhythmic independance that goes beyond anyone I've heard before.. Check out the nutty patterns he plays with his heel and toe on hihat & cowbell! And he swings like DeJohnette! :o

Edited by randissimo

• 3 weeks later...

I'd always heard the pictured item referrd to as a "dumbek" or "dumbeg "

its no doubt due to the viccisitudes of translating Mid Eastern

words to English..

you say darbek ..

I say dumbek ..

it go so farback

my brain be numb, heck..

darbeck

dumbeck

just bring it and take the check

lets call it all a double ..

:blink:

Is it made from aluminum or brass (chrome plated, I assume from the photo), and what is the head's diameter? If you give me that info I could tell you wether the price is okay.

This drum is called dumbeg or dümbeg in Turkey; darbuka or darabukka is the name in other middle eastern/arabian countries, except for Egypt, where it is called tablah (not to be confused with the Indian drum pair - tablah or tabl is the general term for drum in Arabic, and this is how the Indian drum got it's name, because it was a drum brought to India in the wake of Muslim dynasties).

The Turkish model is made from aluminum or brass and chrome plated; originally is was made from clay and covered with a fishskin head (some species that only lives in the Nile), cheaper models use goatskin. Professional darbukkas for Arabian classical music are still made from clay. The modern belly dance type darbukkas are made from a special heavy duty cast aluminum. Yours is the Turkish type, probably aluminum. If it's brass you can see this on the inside of the shell, where the chrome plating stops. If it is lightweight and the metal looks the same inside/outside, it's aluminum.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it made from aluminum or brass (chrome plated, I assume from the photo), and what is the head's diameter? If you give me that info I could tell you wether the price is okay.

This drum is called dumbeg or dümbeg in Turkey; darbuka or darabukka is the name in other middle eastern/arabian countries, except for Egypt, where it is called tablah (not to be confused with the Indian drum pair - tablah or tabl is the general term for drum in Arabic, and this is how the Indian drum got it's name, because it was a drum brought to India in the wake of Muslim dynasties).

The Turkish model is made from aluminum or brass and chrome plated; originally is was made from clay and covered with a fishskin head (some species that only lives in the Nile), cheaper models use goatskin. Professional darbukkas for Arabian classical music are still made from clay. The modern belly dance type darbukkas are made from a special heavy duty cast aluminum. Yours is the Turkish type, probably aluminum. If it's brass you can see this on the inside of the shell, where the chrome plating stops. If it is lightweight and the metal looks the same inside/outside, it's aluminum.

Mikewell is quite correct in his description of doumbeks,(darbukah,tabl).

Although I am a had bop drummer, I also make a fair living playing gigs as a hand drummer. I own many middle eastern drums for belly dancers and I own even more West African drums (8 djembes,some dunnunba, sangba.kenkeni, kryin, talking drums, etc.) for playing with a NY based African ballet company.

The heavy caste aluminum drums that you alluded to are usually made in Egypt by Alexandria (I own three of those) and they sound fine, but have a sythetic head very (much like a 1 ply clear tom resonator). I also own a few ceramic doumbeks, one with a goatskin head and two with Remo fiberskins in a fixed mounting (most of these that are around the States are made in Pakistan). I own one rosewood zarb (toumbek) from Persia that has a fishskin head.I have a few other doumbeks, one synthetic made by Toca that sounds great, and others from Morrocco and Turkey that are beautiful but tempermental.

The one that was pictured above is very familiar to me and I believe it is a chrome plated brass drum. They are very nice but are mellower sounding. You can't really tighten the skin as much to get the sharp cracks that you can get from a ceramic or heavy aluminum one, but they sound nice in a small venue with other un-mic'ed acoustic instruments. Some of these thinner brass ones are also fitted with a small tamborine inside just under the head, for a little more atmosphere. If the one pictured has betwen an 8" - 10" head it would retail for just over $100.00 in a major store and you could get one in a deal for about $65.00-$75.00 , so you did well.

• 4 weeks later...

Randy, I'mma lil late regarding that Antonio comment, but damn you are right. I have a Pat trio show on my computer from Marciac, France this summer with Chris McBride and Antonio, and that mother lights it up on "Lone Jack", listening to his solo right now, doing crazy syncopated cowbell shit while exploding over the top. And I was thinking to myself too how Antonio swings like Jack, but is very much his own man. Word is a live record of this trio is coming out, probably in April.

• 2 weeks later...