Any rock recommendation? Preferably w/ good drummer?

Bol

Just realized I have three Spoon LPs and an EP, and a Shins album. When did that happen? I'm going to put them on my iPod and check them out. :crazy:

Which ones by Spoon? I think I've got everything they've done, but my favorites are their two most recent ones: Ga ga ga ga ga (2007) and Gimme Fiction (2006). "I summon you" on the latter is incredible.

Upon further examination I have all of the following from Spoon:

A Series Of Sneaks

Soft Effects

Telephono

Gimme Fiction

Girls Can Tell

Kill The Moonlight

Loveways

My music collection is officially out of my control. :unsure:

This is like a sci-fi story in which the computers become so large they become self aware and start taking over. I don't think Isaac Asimov ever thought they'd start collecting indie rock music, though :D

MG

Sonic Youth's newest, "The Eternal", is their best album in years - a good place to start for anyone interested.

As for early Yo La Tengo, I would start with "New Wave Hot Dogs" - lots of good tunes there. More recently, "I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass" was pretty good, too.

Spoon's "Gimme Fiction" is a must have.

One thing I've noticed about the recent pop music. It seems that the squeaky, girlish singing among female vocalists is really quite popular.

I'm well up on current pop, dance and house, and it's a sad fact that nearly all female vocalists just make a squawking sound.

Add in that hideous overused voice processing they use nowadays, and it's like listening to robotic weasels screwing in the garden...

OK, Spoon and the Shins did not work out. I found the vocals a bit too generic, tepid, and "kiddish", if that is a word. Luckily, Waterloo takes returns. I exchanged the two for Uncle Tuopelo, "No Depression" and Son Volt, "Trace". These may be keepers. I like Jay Farrar's voice. Finally, a vocalist who sounds like a grownup. These sound good so far. The only concern is that the songs seem the same. They seem to blend into each other. I kinda have the same problem with REM. Hopefully, with more listens, I'll distinguish them from each other. I also tried an early Wilco at the store too. I never could get into Pink Floyd, despite the attempts of my hipper friends to get me interested, and this Wilco recording sounded too much like PF to me. Oh well. Thanks, everyone, again.

Edited by Bol

OK, Spoon and the Shins did not work out. I found the vocals a bit too generic, tepid, and "kiddish", if that is a word. Luckily, Waterloo takes returns. I exchanged the two for Uncle Tuopelo, "No Depression" and Son Volt, "Trace". These may be keepers. I like Jay Farrar's voice. Finally, a vocalist who sounds like a grownup. These sound good so far. The only concern is that the songs seem the same. They seem to blend into each other. I kinda have the same problem with REM. Hopefully, with more listens, I'll distinguish them from each other. I also tried an early Wilco at the store too. I never could get into Pink Floyd, despite the attempts of my hipper friends to get me interested, and this Wilco recording sounded too much like PF to me. Oh well. Thanks, everyone, again.

Sorry to hear the Shins and Spoon didn't do it for you. Its primarily more recent Spoon which I think highly of (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Gimme Fiction), but yes the lyrics and vocals even in the recent releases are not their strong suits, so you might not like these any more than the ones you've tried.

Yeah, I'm wondering which Wilco you listened to (I've never drawn a connection to Pink Floyd). Their first two albums, A.M(1995) and Being There (1999), still retain some of the Uncle Tupelo alt-country thing, but Being There (a double album) moves away from that. It is the album on which Wilco really begins to find its voice, I think. Anyway, Being There is far more sophisticated than A.M., IMO. Wilco released A.M. at roughly the same time Son Volt released Traces (see below) and even the ex-Tupelo members of Wilco (i.e. Jeff Tweedy and John Sirratt, the bassist) knew that Fararr had outdone them and there grew from this a kind of a competition between the groups).

My two favorite Wilco albums are Summerteeth (1999) and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002). Summerteeth is more straightforward and thus may be more to your liking (based on what you said in your original post) but most would say that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their magnum opus to date. A little caveat about Wilco: it took me several years and numerous listenings to really get into what they do -- I've never had such a long courtship with a band that I grew to love. I liked them alright when I first got some of their albums in 2002, but my appreciation for their songcraft has increased dramatically over time. Its an "investment" that has paid off with rich rewards.

I do like Son Volt, well at least Traces...that's their first album and the only one of their's I own. Some still consider it their peak work, although their latest release has generated some positive buzz.

P.S. The family of Woodie Guthrie had some songs he had written but not performed apparently, and contacted Billy Bragg to make something of them. Bragg, in turn, contacted, Wilco about playing the music. They put out two albums together: Mermaid Avenue Vol. I and II. I find the former to be particularly good, but it would depend on whether one likes (or can tolerate) Bragg's vocals/voice.

Edited by Norm

Never heard the Pink Floyd/Wilco thing before; especially puzzling with regard to their early albums.

Bol: Without trying too hard to get a grip on your taste, I still think you should be checking in to Yo La Tengo. Then again, "indie" trios might not be your thing at all.

Would you be more of a Weezer fan? Kings of Leon? recent Flaming Lips? Raconteurs?

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. And esp. to Norm for very helpful posts. I think I was listening to Wilco's "Summerteeth". Don't you think some songs have the same vibe as "Pigs on the Wing"?

In any case, I may be on the last leg of my Great Dip into the Pop Music 2009. Nothing seems to really grab me. Or if they do, repeated listens seem to lessen the music's interest rather than increasing it. Even Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo seem a bit boring after a few listens. I'm taking a break, and will give them one more spin each when I return to town next week. I will probably give up after that.

I'm well up on current pop, dance and house, and it's a sad fact that nearly all female vocalists just make a squawking sound.

You haven't heard Neko Case then.

I too like Neko Case. Cat Power is another favorite contemporary female vocalist (singer/songwriter) of mine. The latter's album, The Greatest, is rock solid from beginning to end.

Even Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo seem a bit boring after a few listens. I'm taking a break, and will give them one more spin each when I return to town next week. I will probably give up after that.

to be perfectly honest, those are two very boring bands on the whole. isn't that sort of their thing?

oh well. Plenty of good rock music to go around but you just can't force it.

Maybe Lanois? Blade is a pretty damned good drummer... as a U2 fan, Lanois should be a familiar name.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks. I had given up rock music because everything I tried sounded good for the first couple of songs or a couple of spins, but soon grew boring and tiresome. But by a sort of accident, I think I found something. Yeah Yeah Yeahs!! I am not sure why they work for me, but they do. So far I am really enjoying their newest CD -- "It's Blitz!" I guess I like the fact that the lead singer has personality in spades. She's a sort of a cross between Debbie Harry and Chrissie Hynde. And both the guitarist/keyboardist and the drummer are quite good. The songs are catchy and different.

Merry Christmas!!