Xavier Davis

Alexander

The first time I heard him was with Tom Harrell, but he immediately caught my attention. He's on Stefon Harris's "Grand Unification Theory" and has a trio album out on Fresh Sounds - New Talent (The Innocence of Youth). His first album (a quartet with Don Braden on tenor) came out in 1999 on Metropolitan. His playing is fresh and exciting. He's a tremendous talent. I want to hear more from him!

I would strongly suggest that you listen to David Weiss's "Breathing Room" and also to the two albums by the New Jazz Composers Octet (all on Fresh Sound New Talent). The last NJCO album features some particularly well-written tunes composed and/or arranged by the gifted Xavier Davis.

Edited by Vincent, Paris

The last NJCO album features some particularly well-written tunes composed and/or arranged by the gifted Xavier Davis.

Dig it... Xavier is from my home town, Grand Rapids, Mi.

I was booking gigs using him back in the mid 90's. He also

has a little brother, Quincy Davis, who is a bitchin' drummer and can sing! ;)

I would strongly suggest that you listen to [...] the two albums by the New Jazz Composers Octet (all on Fresh Sound New Talent). The last NJCO album features some particularly well-written tunes composed and/or arranged by the gifted Xavier Davis.

Agreed! The new one's called Walkin' the Line and has some good soloing by Xaviar Davis, as well.