J.R. Monterose on YouTube

dprfish

• 5 years later...

I love Montrose, but on that Green Dolphin Street clip, he has many problems, including forgetting the changes; he keeps playing little flurries of notes when he is at a loss for what to do. No chops. Some moments of light, but not really there. He also seems to be suffering a little bit from the Art Pepper Syndrome, as in "how do I sound contemporary?" He is way more together on the Paradiso thing, though it's a little odd.

Edited by AllenLowe

Paradiso ws1969, the clip with Brodie was 1985. Not surpriesed that the earlier clip ismore together chops-wise.

I don't really hear any "forgetting" the changes on GDS...I do note that they're playing it in Eb, sounds like he was (or had gotten) used to playing it in C, sometimes your muscle memory reverts to instinct rather than the moment. That and there's definitely rust in the mix. But I don't hear any outright forgetting, he always lands where he needs to when he needs to. Maybe it was just a brain fart caused by who knows what...I don't consider that "forgetting", though. But perhaps that's just semantics. For me, "forgetting" involves not just where you are, but where you need to land, everything, you just draw a blank. Not hearing that here. Perhaps I'm being too generous.