UK members - Digital TV, what's the sound like on

We're going digital in this area in March, so my wife and I had a slow trot round Comet today to see what was around and the prices. She thought she'd like a 28 inch set, but we didn't find anything between 26" and 32". 32" seems miles too big; our conventional TV is 20" which seems plenty, really :)

A while back, we had a geezer up to repair our existing TV and talked to him briefly about digitising. One of the things he said was that the smaller sets - anything below 28" - had poor sound which wouldn't be powerful enough to fill our lounge (about 30 ft by 15), though a 19" or even smaller would be OK in the bedroom.

Does anyone have a 26" set? And what's the sound like?

MG

The enclosure of flat screen TVs has much less volume than CRT TVs, therefore the sound tends to be thinner. In addition to that, most movie fans now use a home theatre sound system, therefore the manufacturers care less about the sound of the built-in speakers.

I have a 46" Sony LCD, and the sound is merely OK. I always use my hifi set for watching DVDs.

We had the same debate when we got a flat screen digital ready TV. Personally, I would go for as big as you can for the size of room, not forgetting that a flat screen set is much less deep than a conventional set. We gained about 1.5 feet of lounge when we changed, which was of course my main selling point to my wife! As far as sound is concerned, I haven't had too many issues. I can't get away with all the extra speakers and cables that a home entertainment / surround set involves, but my Toshiba 32" set is fine for me.

We went digital last July. Good luck with all the retuning and rescanning!

I bought 22 inch last week (my existing set stopped working) - I use it so rarely I can't justify anything bigger. Sound is tinny - but, as on my old set, I connect it through the headphone socket to my aufio amplifier. Sounds fine.

I have a set of second speakers connected in the kitchen to the amp. So if my cooking preparation doesn't quite complete in time for the start of a programme I can always hear it.

I do like the slimeline nature of these new TVs. The last one was like a tank even though it was 22 inch.

typing on an unfamiliar, ancient computer. typos galore.

Mine's so old, the paint's worn off several letters - e, a, s, d, c, n, m; most of v & t and half of z. So I keep hitting wrong keys. But I'm learning to type without looking, as a result - after lord knows how many years of eyes down :)

MG

I bought a 22 incher I integrated into the bookshelf - but knowing that I hate the tinny sound of TV sets in any case, I looked around for a DVD receiver, and found a bargain - from LG, for only € 200.00 including five speakers and a subwoofer, but sounding better than SONY sets at € 800.00!

How it sounds depends on the settings you chose, and on the mix of the soundtrack - there is one German station that always overemphasizes the treble.

Be aware that most LED screens consume more electric power than old tube tv sets - watch out for the electricity bill.

Vox? Can't remember - I always switch to a different equalizer pattern when I come across this phenomenon ... feeding the sound into the HiFi is okay too, once you found the right plugs and adapters ... what I hate about TV sound is that they almost always compress the music, but never the spoken parts, or not as much, so the music is always too loud.

Vox? Can't remember - I always switch to a different equalizer pattern when I come across this phenomenon ... feeding the sound into the HiFi is okay too, once you found the right plugs and adapters ... what I hate about TV sound is that they almost always compress the music, but never the spoken parts, or not as much, so the music is always too loud.

Yeah, its a pain having to continuously adjust volume as you switch channels. The UK commercial channels are really bad in that respect. Great though for BBC4 music documentaries !

ARD (on Astra) sounds fine here.

During the Christmas days, the german national stations (ARD, ZDF, and Einsfestival) will broadcast in HD (on dedicated channels), as a test before the definitive HD switch somewhere in mid-2010.

Edited by Claude