Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Alexander

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the most amazing thing about this list - number 432 - "sleepless" by peter wolf.

this is a good record that went completely unnoticed when it was released last year, and now it shows up on the greatest 500 albums of all time.

totally amazing.

Thanks for telling me about it.

I was wondering how I missed it. :rolleyes:

posted by A.B.

This thread makes me want to try to compile my top 500 list, but I don't think I have the time. I don't think I'd ever be able to finish.

A.Brass, I didn't want to mention this, but I think your avatar has the power to stop time. There have been several times where I was browsing posts and your avatar seemed to leap out of the screen and then time just completely stopped.

So, if you wanted, you could just use your groovy James T. Cat to stop time and then write your top 500 list.

Oh whoops. Meds time was a whole hour ago. Wheee!!

I wouldn't put the Rutles and Spinal Tap on my top 500 of ALL TIME, but they are great albums (and movies).

Edit: Maybe I would (but in the 400's)

Nice to see them mentioned, though. :D:tup

I probably wouldn't put the Ruttles in there, but Spinal Tab definitely needs to go somewhere in the top 500 (though down in the 400's, for sure).

These kinds of lists are nothing but flamebait. No one ever agrees and it's entirely opinionated. The whole thing is worthless, and I only had to read 4 'artists' names on there to know that.

:rcry

Edit: Oh yeah,

Let the bitching commence!

You asked for it so nyah nyah!

A.Brass, I didn't want to mention this, but I think your avatar has the power to stop time. There have been several times where I was browsing posts and your avatar seemed to leap out of the screen and then time just completely stopped.

So, if you wanted, you could just use your groovy James T. Cat to stop time and then write your top 500 list.

Oh whoops. Meds time was a whole hour ago. Wheee!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Jazz! I needed a laugh.

Actually my avatar is great with disc 4 of the Miles Davis JACK JOHNSON box set.

It goes perfect with the music. :lol:

The one good thing about the RS list (aside from how fun it is to bitch about it) is that it provides some pointers for kids who want to get into rock/pop history. The name of the game here is rockcrit consensus, with maybe a few jokers thrown in the pack. For anyone who already knows their stuff it's not much practical use.

1) beatles, 11

2) rolling stones, 10

bob dylan, 10

4) bruce springsteen, 8

5) david bowie, 6

elton john, 6

7) led zeppelin, 5

neil young, 5

u2, 5

the byrds, 5

11)grateful dead, 4

police, 4

elvis costello, 4

the velvet underground, 4

talking heads, 4

sly & the family stone, 4

stevie wonder, 4

simon & garfunkel, 4

prince, 4

madonna, 4

Isn't Otis Redding listed 4 times too? :huh:

(What's odd, is that one of Otis Redding's albums is an anthology)

David Marsh must have had a hand in this. He thrives on making lists like this.

What burns me up the most about these kind of lists made by "rockers" is that they pretend to include jazz, blues, soul, country, world music at all. It is as if they are saying, "yea, we looked at all forms of music and, in the end, the rock classics kicked everybody else's ass. Miles and Trane are OK, but they ain't the Beatles."

A few complaints...

1) All of Stevie's (Wonder, that is) 70's albums should have been in the top 20. No way are they less influential or less musically amazing than, umm, Nevermind, by Nirvana.

2) GregK: you were the one that asked why rap was included? My word, man...Let's face it, rap is part of the musical landscape, and let's face it, the best rappers throughout the years have put out some AMAZING music. If you can't hear it, that's YOUR problem, not mine.

3) Whoever bitched about Appetite for Destruction making the list? What are you smoking? Think about 1987 for a second. What else was out there? It was the bleakest of times musically. The only thing even close in the rock world was Bon Jovi. Then here comes this band out of L.A. that can actually rock the way a band is supposed to rock. Given when it came out, it was an incredibly important record.

4) I was happy just to see some jazz albums on the list.

5) No, anthologies should not have been on the list. That was cheating.

6) If I'm not mistaken, Marquee Moon by Television didn't make the list, but the fucking Ramones did. That's disgusting.

What Kulu Se Mama said, a page or two back. They just polled about 250 people, so of course part of what they will pick is "what is conventionally #1." Which are Sgt. Pepper's (whcih I also think is overrated, although it is good) and Pet Sounds (which I still don't get. Can someone explain to me why Pet Sounds is considered one of the top 5 pop albums of all time?)

More interesting to me was how low the first Zepplin and Pink Floyd albums were.

I'm surprised any jazz was on it.

But like others, this has made me listen to my copies of Revolver, Pet Sounds, and Velvet Underground and Nico. Man I love VU.