Alex Steinweiss, Inventor of the Modern Album Cover

Taschen will publish very shortly 'Alex Steinweiss, Inventor of the Modern Album Cover', a coffeetable book-sized volume on one of the most creative record album designers.

A handsome book much better - and much more expensive - than Taschen's 'Jazz Covers', a very disappointing enterprise.

The book is printed in a limited edition of 1,500 copies.

Taschen's Alex Steinweiss'

Click on the book's frontpage (Leaf through!) for a thorough view of the book's content!

That book gets writeups everywhere right now, it seems.

But that much money on one single designer only - really a bit too much of the same style - and a huge, huge part of it outside even the outermost boundaries of my musical interests, oh well ... way too expensive (even at "only" 350 euros at Amazon).

Now if it was Jim Flora ... :crazy::crazy:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

That book gets writeups everywhere right now, it seems.

But that much money on one single designer only - really a bit too much of the same style - and a huge, huge part of it outside even the outermost boundaries of my musical interests, oh well ... way too expensive (even at "only" 350 euros at Amazon).

Now if it was Jim Flora ... :crazy::crazy:

I would not think there would be that much interest in those covers. Also, Taschen may later publish a lower priced softcover edition. Taschen still has copies of the limited edition of Claxton's book. They couldn't be selling that many at 1,000 Euros.

A thousand copies is a lot of copies.

David Stone Martin is much more collectible an illustrator than Stirnweiss; Manek Daver's book "Jazz Graphics David Stone Martin" is itself very collectible. It also appeared in a limited edition, hardcover (regular edition was softcover) presentation issue of 150 signed copies. That limited edition book, when it does appear, sells for less than the asking price of this Stirnweiss book. Bruce Weber's book on Chet Baker "Let's Get Lost" appeared as a thousand copies. Weber is an extremely popular photographer among collectors. This book sells for about the same price as the Stirnweiss book (less than the limited edition).

But, it is a question of taste. If Stirnweiss' covers became extremely popular, it would certainly increase demand for the book.

As well as being too expensive, Taschen books are often too big. The Claxton Jazz Life is much bigger than the original edition and I don't think gains anything from it except make it more difficult to gset down from teh shelf or turn the pages.

I have both (the early 60s German edition and the recent 3-language edition) and while I do find it a bit unwieldy too it is not THAT cumbersome. Remember 3 languages need to be accommodated, and I am glad to see not all the pics are the same as in the original edition from way back when, so both actually are complementary in a way. And some of the photographs actually do profit from being reproduced in that (enlarged) full size. And next to K. Abé's "Jazz Giants" and George T. Simon's "Simon Says" books (and Gene Deitch's "Cat on a Hot Tin Groove") these Taschen "coffee table" books don't look all that unwieldy anmore! And compared to books like that the Taschen books aren't all that expensive for what they offer. At least not by European standards.

Anyway ... I agree about Baker's (hello Baker, BTW! ;)) coments about the collectibility of alex Steinweiss' albums cover art. Nothing agains the graphism and the "period flair" but honestly, a lot of these classical music and Broadway show potpourri 10-inchers should stilll be floating around in the second (third? fourth?) hand bins in somewhat tatty condition and I cannot see them becoming collectibles overnight just because they're Steinweiss covers. It's jsut that - as opposed to most David Stone Martin LPs - the music itself is not that collectible.

(BTW, I am not sure I wold have wanted to invest in an entire David Stone Martin book either. The chapter in Manek Daver's other volume ("The rare and the beautiful) did for me for the time being.

As well as being too expensive, Taschen books are often too big. The Claxton Jazz Life is much bigger than the original edition and I don't think gains anything from it except make it more difficult to gset down from teh shelf or turn the pages.

I have both (the early 60s German edition and the recent 3-language edition) and while I do find it a bit unwieldy too it is not THAT cumbersome. Remember 3 languages need to be accommodated, and I am glad to see not all the pics are the same as in the original edition from way back when, so both actually are complementary in a way. And some of the photographs actually do profit from being reproduced in that (enlarged) full size. And next to K. Abé's "Jazz Giants" and George T. Simon's "Simon Says" books (and Gene Deitch's "Cat on a Hot Tin Groove") these Taschen "coffee table" books don't look all that unwieldy anmore! And compared to books like that the Taschen books aren't all that expensive for what they offer. At least not by European standards.

Anyway ... I agree about Baker's (hello Baker, BTW! ;)) coments about the collectibility of alex Steinweiss' albums cover art. Nothing agains the graphism and the "period flair" but honestly, a lot of these classical music and Broadway show potpourri 10-inchers should stilll be floating around in the second (third? fourth?) hand bins in somewhat tatty condition and I cannot see them becoming collectibles overnight just because they're Steinweiss covers. It's jsut that - as opposed to most David Stone Martin LPs - the music itself is not that collectible.

(BTW, I am not sure I wold have wanted to invest in an entire David Stone Martin book either. The chapter in Manek Daver's other volume ("The rare and the beautiful) did for me for the time being.

Regarding the book's size, I agree with Steve (hello Steve--mutual admiration society). I also have the original "Jazzlife" (I loaned my copies of the EP's for them to make the CD and display the cover sleeves in the new edition)and was never able to enjoy Berendt's commentary. Now I can and Taschen certainly would not have done separate editions. There are other bulky books, this one is huge, although not as big as the three books of Herbert Joos drawings. The photos do benefit from a larger display. Also, they did add photographs, a few from the original 1955 "Jazz West Coast" (Stan Getz photo; June Christy w/Laurindo Almeida, the latter in a large enough format to see autograph's on Almeida's guitar, which were not visible on most copies of the original book) and some others unpublished previously. Check out the Helmut Newton book "Sumo" from Taschen. It weights 66 pounds (30 kilos) and comes with its own table to hold it. I saw one at a local bookshop in West Hollywood once; it was a monster. The Taschen site claims that the book is sold out; at 10,000 copies (with the book retailing for $15,000--I can't believe that many people could afford such a book worldwide--at least that many who would possess sufficient funds and want the title).

Taschen does publish some unusual format books. I would like to see them publish an outsized edition of Claxton's 1955 "Jazz West Coast" in a large size, such as the Nieswand book "Jazz in LA," maybe even bigger. That book contains many classic images which appeared as album or liner photographs.

Regarding DSM, Steve, if you see that "Jazz Graphics" at a reasonable price, take a chance on it. The online antiquarian prices are ridiculous, but the book does show up cheaper. You don't need to spend big money on the presentation copy; the regular softcover is the same book w/o the signatures. One complaint I have about both of Daver's books is that neither contains full page illustrations of any of the covers. Other than that they are wonderful. "Jazz Graphics" contains comments by DSM about some of the covers. Also, the book contains interviews w/DSM and Norman Granz as well as other essays regarding DSM jackets.

Lastly, my apologies to all for misspelling Mr. Steinweiss' name. Whenever I see the name, it reminds me of an oldtime baseball player, Snuffy Stirnweiss, and I misread the name.

Taschen does publish some unusual format books. I would like to see them publish an outsized edition of Claxton's 1955 "Jazz West Coast" in a large size, such as the Nieswand book "Jazz in LA," maybe even bigger. That book contains many classic images which appeared as album or liner photographs.

Regarding DSM, Steve, if you see that "Jazz Graphics" at a reasonable price, take a chance on it. The online antiquarian prices are ridiculous, but the book does show up cheaper. You don't need to spend big money on the presentation copy; the regular softcover is the same book w/o the signatures. One complaint I have about both of Daver's books is that neither contains full page illustrations of any of the covers. Other than that they are wonderful. "Jazz Graphics" contains comments by DSM about some of the covers. Also, the book contains interviews w/DSM and Norman Granz as well as other essays regarding DSM jackets.

Of course I will snap up that DSM book if a really decently-priced copy comes my way but as it is now (at the usual prices) this is not really one of my priorities.

I agree that a new edition of Claxton's 1955 "Jazz West Coast" would be most welcome (an affordable original copy still seems to be elusive), thorugh we probably have by now seen a lot of its contents in other more recent Claxton books. Re- that "Jazz in LA" book by Nieswand (on Bob Willoughby's photographs) that you mention: In fact I was about to name this one as another example of oversized books in my earlier post but since it's not all that thick it remains quite manageable. BTW, even this one does not really look out of size on my bookshelf as it sits (or rather "stands") next to an (upright) stack of (40s and early 50s) newspaper-sized Down Beats stored folded out (to avoid making the creasing any worse) as well as a 85% complete run of the Swedish jazz mag ESTRAD that for a good deal of its existence had adopted the Down Beat newspaper size too so bound yearly volumes (of which I have several) tend to be really large-sized too. All just a matter of perspective ... ;)

Will have to check the "For the Record" book on Steinweiss cover art that was now mentioned ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 1 year later...

i went to my favourite bookshop yesterday (160411) and found the Inventor of the modern album cover Taschen book on alex steinweiss. i was very suprised, i didn't know or remember it was about to be published. one of my biggest passions being jazz covers (and not only jazz, but every kind of record cover) i got it, but for a much, much smaller amount than the ones here mentioned: 50 €. it was a bit expensive, i know, but i think it's worthwhile with the lots of good quality record cover repros and the high end graphics (the book in itself imitates a 78 album). and it's a big and heavy book. you have to think it needs to acommodate the multilingual text in english, french and german. but the massive text is peppered with lots and lots of good repros. i agree that it would be more interesting to have something like this about jim flora or david stone martin, but it's a good starting point.

i think i have many of the cover repros in other books like taschen owns' jazz covers (which, btw, cost about half the price). but here they are better reproduced and the general layout of the book is very good. so why does it cost now a fraction of what it used to cost? i don't know. i suppose taschen have many left... first i thought this was something new, but upon seeing this entry i realized it was a kind of reissue or reprint. i wouldn't have taken it for more than it costs.

so why does it cost now a fraction of what it used to cost? i don't know. i suppose taschen have many left... first i thought this was something new, but upon seeing this entry i realized it was a kind of reissue or reprint. i wouldn't have taken it for more than it costs.

The one you have is indeed a reissue, in a slightly smaller format than the earlier limited editions. A quick comparison of the various editions can be found here.

Got mine today (had it on my watch-list ever since the high-priced one was published).

Wow!

For this kind of budget price (later reductions by Taschen, as is often the case, not withstanding) a fabulous book with quality production value.

Anyone interested in LP covers (etc.) by Steinweiss would be an idiot (!!!) not to buy this one while it is available exactly in this format (one never knows how Taschen might recycle this again).

:)

P.S.: Too heavy to take along to the loo. ;)

Edited by neveronfriday

• 2 months later...