BFT # 70 - Listen and discuss

Durium

As BFT # 69 seems to be finished ( Thanks Hot Ptah) I'm ready to start BFT # 70.

sax2-coal-old.jpg

It's my third BFT ( previous ones were # 44 (Keep Swinging) and # 61 (Something Old Something New )) and I've tried to give this one a motto too - although it won't be easy to find it.

I'm sure you can find some record tunes and soloists, but the major goal is to let you enjoy some good music.

I won't interupt the discussion during the first week to give you all the possibility to shoot at the 15 tracks - I'll post my first commends during the weekend.

Good luck ...............

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have listened to your BFT 70 several times now. It is extremely enjoyable to listen to, melodic but with a lot of depth. It is also very humbling. There is not one cut where I can say, "oh, I know that one."

I wonder though, is it the Ray Brown Trio with Benny Green and Greg Hutchinson on Track 1?

Edited by Hot Ptah

The strangest thing--your first two "Keep Swinging" links in this thread took me to some Bible study site (?).

I'd love to get the links, too, as Mr. Durium is amazingly knowledgeable.

You're right - if you make a small error in your links ( psot instead of spot), these guys love to inform you about their passion .......... :crazy: I've checked it !! Thanks for warning!

I'll forward you the link sending you a pm.

Keep swinging

Durium

Great music Durium! Thank you. I have the disc in my car player so I'll make some general comments. There is an emphasis on duos and on bass (a lot of tracks have outstanding bass playing). On first listen I could only id Slam Stewart in a duo with a tenor with....Don Byas? Also..that is a very nice rendition of Carinhoso. Clarinet..so I'm thinking Paulo Maura but I have to listen further and check my holdings. All in all a VERY enjoyable disc.

No peaking, one listen over tea. Really like this collection! Thanks, Durium!

1 - Nice start. Love the bass. This bassist is very familiar, not so much in tone, but in terms of the approach to improvisation. Don't know, but this is yummy.

2 - Hmm... very clean recording. I'm guessing a younger trumpeter who has listened to a lot of Art Farmer (something for which I'm very thankful!). This is beautiful. Pianist doesn't strike much of a chord (oh, I'm killin' me), but doesn't detract, either. Something is making me want to say Jeremy Pelt.

3 - Any guesses would be just that, as I haven't a clue, but I like this a lot. Simple, understated and honestly swings; what more do you want?

4 - Odd recording. I want to like it, but something isn't gelling... almost seems like it may be overdubbed. There is something Ra-esque in those keys, but the tenor is throwing me off. Shades of a lot of guys, but too distinct to be any of them. You've stumped me. I think I'm going to be very surprised by this one as I feel like I should have gotten it.

5 - I love bass and love a bass duet. This one isn't taking me very far. I think there was another track from this record in a recent BFT (sounds very similar), but I can't recall who the personnel was, though I think one was Ron Carter, and I'm not convinced either of these guys is. This one sort of missed for me.

6 - Don't know the song :P

Always makes me think of Wayne and Schuster: "Spock! You have no love! You have no hate! You have no envy! Isn't there anything you have!?" "I've got rhythm! [clap sets of the band], I've got music, I've got my gal, who could ask for anything more?" This is a swing player I'm not all that versed in, but he's a bad man. I have to guess Slam Stewart on bass because of the vintage (now watch it be Major Holley). I should know this tenor player. Golson comes out of this guy... seems too aggressive to be Wardell. Oh, I'll have this for the main course and dessert -- this guy is a beast.

7 - Love for Sale, quirky arrangement. I was thinking Barney Kessel for a bit, but seems busier. I don't think I know either of these guys.

8 - Oy. :D Branford plays a mean rendition of this in Sting's movie Bring On The Night. Not a clue who this is, but it's making me smile. Probably won't ever play it again, but kudos for the laugh. I can only net the composer with this one -- Hoyt Curtin -- which is good enough to win at bar trivia. :P

9 - No idea, but it's bass so I love it. Maybe Francois Rabbath?

10 - In love at 2 seconds. Canned drums are killing my buzz, but this still works because that is some badass bass. Shoot... what is that song? It's a pop tune... argh! This is yummy, too. Durium, helluva job!!! I can't wait to find out what this is -- really dig it.

11 - Nice, inoffensive, but not really maintaining my interest.

12 - Hehe... I was thinking how parts of this sounded like Barry Harris, but then I was leaning Tommy Flanagan, but it seemed to busy. Then I started thinking Hank Jones and let out a yell that probably has the neighbors dialing 9-1-1. A quick one, I am! It's Tadd's OUR DELIGHT, from this.

13 - I thought this was Clifford Jordan off the bat, but the tenor is all wrong for him. The sound is a bit Buddy Tate, but the ideas are too modern. Agile bassist. One of those Parker tunes, but damned if I can say which one. I should know this, maybe Ricky Ford?

14 - Piano duet, but not Tommy and Hank this time. Can't quite place the tune -- maybe two tune overlapped? Something a touch Ibrahimish about one of these guys, but I don't think it's him. One is very classically trained, sort of like Keith Jarrett. This one has me all messed up. At points I'm hearing Mal Warldron's Seagulls of Kristiansund, at other times John Lewis' Django, and even the quote of Mona Lisa. I haven't a clue, but my head hurts.

15 - My fingers cramp just listening to this. Sounds a lot like George Coleman's ideas, but lacks his sound, so I'm going to guess Eric Alexander on tenor. Although, the man's voice sounds like a black guy, so that's undoubtably wrong. DAMN YOU! ;)

I have listened to your BFT 70 several times now. It is extremely enjoyable to listen to, melodic but with a lot of depth. It is also very humbling. There is not one cut where I can say, "oh, I know that one."

I wonder though, is it the Ray Brown Trio with Benny Green and Greg Hutchinson on Track 1?

Thanks Hot Ptah for slamming the first ball into the net. Good to read that you enjoyed the selection. Your suggestion about track one is wrong. Sorry 'bout that.

Keep Swinging

Durium

Great music Durium! Thank you. I have the disc in my car player so I'll make some general comments. There is an emphasis on duos and on bass (a lot of tracks have outstanding bass playing). On first listen I could only id Slam Stewart in a duo with a tenor with....Don Byas? Also..that is a very nice rendition of Carinhoso. Clarinet..so I'm thinking Paulo Maura but I have to listen further and check my holdings. All in all a VERY enjoyable disc.

Thanks Harold_Z for your first suggestions. Your thougts about Slam and Don are correct - Let's keep the track number secret for some days, but of course you're invited to give it in a next posting. I understand that it is difficult to make notes, while driving a car ( It is even forbidden here in Holland :excited: ) So - give the track number later.

The suggestion that one of the tunes should be Carinhoso is wrong and the name Paulo Mauro is not on this selection too.

Keep Swinging

Durium

1 - Nice start. Love the bass. This bassist is very familiar, not so much in tone, but in terms of the approach to improvisation. Don't know, but this is yummy.

2 - Hmm... very clean recording. I'm guessing a younger trumpeter who has listened to a lot of Art Farmer (something for which I'm very thankful!). This is beautiful. Pianist doesn't strike much of a chord (oh, I'm killin' me), but doesn't detract, either. Something is making me want to say Jeremy Pelt.

3 - Any guesses would be just that, as I haven't a clue, but I like this a lot. Simple, understated and honestly swings; what more do you want?

4 - Odd recording. I want to like it, but something isn't gelling... almost seems like it may be overdubbed. There is something Ra-esque in those keys, but the tenor is throwing me off. Shades of a lot of guys, but too distinct to be any of them. You've stumped me. I think I'm going to be very surprised by this one as I feel like I should have gotten it.

5 - I love bass and love a bass duet. This one isn't taking me very far. I think there was another track from this record in a recent BFT (sounds very similar), but I can't recall who the personnel was, though I think one was Ron Carter, and I'm not convinced either of these guys is. This one sort of missed for me.

Thanks Thom being the first one with a lenghtly commend on all tracks. Great - You did a good job, although I can't go in depth to some of your remarks.

1. So do I - a great bass player ................

2. I was surprised too by this trumpet player ( you're right - he's younger then most of us :crazy: ........ ) when I heard him for the very first times.

3. You'll be surprised ........... <_<

4. Well you are saying a lot of wise words, but I don't want to go in details now. It has a lot of common with the Sun Ra experiments, and so you're "hot' - let me help you a bit - it was recorded ca. 1970 and he had made some really great recordings before. ...................

5. No, not Ron Carter.

Thanks for the first five. The rest will follow later this evening .............. or tomorrow !!

Keep Swinging

Durium

6 - Don't know the song :P

Always makes me think of Wayne and Schuster: "Spock! You have no love! You have no hate! You have no envy! Isn't there anything you have!?" "I've got rhythm! [clap sets of the band], I've got music, I've got my gal, who could ask for anything more?" This is a swing player I'm not all that versed in, but he's a bad man. I have to guess Slam Stewart on bass because of the vintage (now watch it be Major Holley). I should know this tenor player. Golson comes out of this guy... seems too aggressive to be Wardell. Oh, I'll have this for the main course and dessert -- this guy is a beast.

7 - Love for Sale, quirky arrangement. I was thinking Barney Kessel for a bit, but seems busier. I don't think I know either of these guys.

8 - Oy. :D Branford plays a mean rendition of this in Sting's movie Bring On The Night. Not a clue who this is, but it's making me smile. Probably won't ever play it again, but kudos for the laugh. I can only net the composer with this one -- Hoyt Curtin -- which is good enough to win at bar trivia. :P

9 - No idea, but it's bass so I love it. Maybe Francois Rabbath?

10 - In love at 2 seconds. Canned drums are killing my buzz, but this still works because that is some badass bass. Shoot... what is that song? It's a pop tune... argh! This is yummy, too. Durium, helluva job!!! I can't wait to find out what this is -- really dig it.

6. Sure - the title isn't the most worst part of this track: I Got Rhythm. But who's the tenor player. you're right - not Golson nor Wardell.

7. You're right - it's not Barney Kessel.

8. Well - you're right about the composer - Hoyt Curtain. I'm sure most of you will recognize the title. But who is playing it?

9. No, it isn't Francois Rabbath and ........ is it a bass you hear? :blush2:

10. Mind your heart :tophat: ........... You'll know it within a few weeks?

Well - tomorow the rest ................

Keep Swinging

Durium

The suggestion that one of the tunes should be Carinhoso is wrong

??? That is Carinhoso, although who the clarinetist is... not sure. Is that Jaques Morelenbaum on cello?

It's Yo Yo Ma on cello, I think - too classical-sounding not to be.

Track 11: Paquito D'Rivera and Yo Yo Ma, from Obrigado Brasil. I love Paquito's work on clarinet, and wish he recorded on it more often.

I like Ma's intentions in making this recording, but the recording itself - not so much. Too polite, I think.

(I really like the way Paulo Moura plays this tune, though... he has a way with early choro material.)

*** Howard Z gets big props for nailing the tune. ***

Edited by seeline

The suggestion that one of the tunes should be Carinhoso is wrong

??? That is Carinhoso, although who the clarinetist is... not sure. Is that Jaques Morelenbaum on cello?

It's Yo Yo Ma on cello, I think - too classical-sounding not to be.

Your suggestions that this tune should be Carinhoso was RIGHT Seeline and Harold_Z . Sorry 'bout that. I had intended to use the tune Salvador but uploaded Carinhoso instead. You were correct. Sorry Seeline :blush2: Sorry Harold_Z :blush2:

It's a great tune too, although it thwarts my motto <_<

Keep Swinging

Durium :blush2: :blush2:

Edited by Durium

Carinhoso ( Pixinguinha) / from OBRIGADO BRAZIL by Yo-Yo Ma ( 2003)

Yo-Yo Ma; cello / Paquito D’Rivera clarinet ( Romero Lubambo guitar, Cyro Baptista percussion)

Recorded New York City, August 2002

1201335347_yoyomaobrigadobrazilliveinconcer.jpg

A great record, although I agree that Yo-Yo Ma is not a jazz musician which makes it too perfect - too "classical" as Seeline suggests, but I was surprised to find this great album played by Yo-Yo Ma, who played cello, together with Itzhak Perlman and Anthony Mcgill, at the festivities on the 20th of January this year at the Obama Inauguration, dedicated to the neglected Brazilian Choro-music - a music style that has a lot of relations with early jazz. If you love to learn more about Choro music you're invited to visit the Choro Music blog from my Danish friend Jo - a unique informative site.

He wrote about the Pixinguinha composition Carinhoso of course - a traditional in Choro.

Yo-Yo Ma and Paquito D'Rivera: two great musicians.

Keep Swinging

Durium

11 - Nice, inoffensive, but not really maintaining my interest.

12 - Hehe... I was thinking how parts of this sounded like Barry Harris, but then I was leaning Tommy Flanagan, but it seemed to busy. Then I started thinking Hank Jones and let out a yell that probably has the neighbors dialing 9-1-1. A quick one, I am! It's Tadd's OUR DELIGHT, from this.

13 - I thought this was Clifford Jordan off the bat, but the tenor is all wrong for him. The sound is a bit Buddy Tate, but the ideas are too modern. Agile bassist. One of those Parker tunes, but damned if I can say which one. I should know this, maybe Ricky Ford?

14 - Piano duet, but not Tommy and Hank this time. Can't quite place the tune -- maybe two tune overlapped? Something a touch Ibrahimish about one of these guys, but I don't think it's him. One is very classically trained, sort of like Keith Jarrett. This one has me all messed up. At points I'm hearing Mal Warldron's Seagulls of Kristiansund, at other times John Lewis' Django, and even the quote of Mona Lisa. I haven't a clue, but my head hurts.

15 - My fingers cramp just listening to this. Sounds a lot like George Coleman's ideas, but lacks his sound, so I'm going to guess Eric Alexander on tenor. Although, the man's voice sounds like a black guy, so that's undoubtably wrong. DAMN YOU! ;)

11. It was identified by Seeline and Harold_Z

12. You hit the nail on the head.

Our Delight (Tedd Dameron) / from ORIGINAL JAZZ CLASSICS SAMPLER – GALAXY-MILESTONE ( 2002)

41J2RMSHJVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Tommy Flanagan: piano ( right) / Hank Jones: piano ( left)

Recorded Berkeley, 28th of January, 1978.

clip_image146.jpg

I inserted this track, which I found on a sampler ( it's orignially released as "Our Delights"( Galaxy 5113)), because I really like both piano players. You don't often hear two pianist playing in a duet and if so, most of the times, it sounds like a hodge-podge of sounds. But not this time.

hankjones09-01.jpg

I heard Hank Jones, now 91 years old, performing at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam this summer with George Mraz and Willie Jones III. A great concert of one of the last legends in jazz. Tommy Flanagan is no longer with us, but I like his recordings, especially one of his earliest, titled Jazz ... It's Magic with Curtis Fuller and Sonny Redd.

Hank Jones and Tomy Flanagan; two great performers

Congratulations Thom identifying this track !!

Sorry, but all the suggested names are wrong.

You're right - it's not Hank and Tommy again ..............

No, not Eric Alexander nor George Coleman this time and the man who speaks is not a black guy .........

Well - thanks so far !!

Keep Swinging

Durium

I started to listen to this tonight and thanks Durium: beautiful music. I'm not sure I would hazard any guesses although on the early tracks I'm thinking Django on one and Slam Stewart on another. Found track 2 very contemplative; no idea who however.

I started to listen to this tonight and thanks Durium: beautiful music. I'm not sure I would hazard any guesses although on the early tracks I'm thinking Django on one and Slam Stewart on another. Found track 2 very contemplative; no idea who however.

Thanks for your nice words, Brad about the music. Your suggestions are very interesting and I'd love to ask you to specify it. In what tracks do you suggest these musicians?

Keep Swinging

Durium

Thanks for your nice words, Brad about the music. Your suggestions are very interesting and I'd love to ask you to specify it. In what tracks do you suggest these musicians?

Keep Swinging

Durium

Durium,

I'm thinking that it may Django and Stephane Grapelli are on track 3. Whoever it may be, I like the guitar playing.

I thought it might be Slam on track 6. Sounds really like him. Don't know who the horn player is but he's playing at a heady speed so he must have been influenced by some of the bop players.

I have no idea who is on track 7 but this is an amazing duet on a tune whose name I can't remember (and it's driving me crazy 'cause I should know it). My only objection is that the pianist seems to overshadow the guitarist a little and probably could tone it down a little but I can't wait to find out who this is as I would buy the recording. Even my son who plays guitar was impressed by the playing.

Track 8 made me laugh: Meet the Flintstones. Strikes me as something Red Norvo might have done. Don't know why.

Track 12 must be a Tadd Dameron tune. No idea who's playing but great runs.

That's as far as I've gotten.