Getz-Barron People Time

Jerry

I have to confess that I sometimes get enthusiastic about a player or group and go around buying up everthing I can find by them, only to get so distracted by the next enthusiasm or going-oop item that I don't listen to my previous purchases as much as I ought to. I bet none of you would ever do that. Anyway I have managed to build up a pretty large collection of cd's, which is great because recently the budget has not been stretching to a whole lot of new stuff. Yesterday I went up to the shelf and pulled out this 2-cd set from Gitanes Jazz which I got a couple of years ago when I was buying anything I could find by Kenny Barron. I listened to it a few times then and well, you know... This is a very fine set when you are in the mood for something gentle. It's just the two players, stretching out quite a bit on fourteen 6-9 minute versions of various jazz standards in a live setting in Copenhagen. Getz is playing well, though his health was not good and this is not his best recording. Kenny Barron, to my mind kind of steals the show at points. What a thoughtful player. Check it out sometime. It may be out of print. I got my copy used at a Half-price books.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Getz-Barron duo album was superb. Getz was really inspired by Kenny Barron's playing. The two of them were also magnificient in an earlier (July 1987) date at Copenhagen's Montmartre Club that produced the 'Anniversary' and 'Serenity' CDs on the EmArcy/Gitanes Jazz label. Getz and Barron had Rufus Reid on bass and Victor Lewis on drums along on those two.

I go through similar periods where I'll buy up as many CDs by a given artist as possible, only to find myself moving on to the next big thing within a few months. That happened to me a few years ago with Stan Getz. I'm still a huge Getz fan, but I don't listen to him nearly as much nowadays as I once did. "People Time" was a disc I *didn't* buy when I was getting tons of Getz, mostly because it's a double CD set and it was kind of pricey. I got it about a year ago, and it is lovely. Getz had a great affection for pianists, and its a great pleasure to listen to Getz interact with an artist like Barron (another excellent duo set is "Poetry" with Albert Daily). Although Getz was in declining health (this was his last album, in fact), his playing still shines. Barron is in great form. Easily recommended.

I love this album. Been recommending it to anybody who would listen for years, but it's a tough sell because of the price. Considering the circumstances, I think Getz sounds amazingly good here. I think this was only the second Getz album that I ever bought, harbinger of many more.

I guess someone has to swim against the current. Don't get me wrong, as individual artists, Getz and Barron have to be at the very top of anyone's list as they are at the very top of mine. Two giants...no if's and's or but's. I guess with "People Time" it probably doesn't have as much to do with Getz and Barron as it does my inability to warm to saxophone / piano duos. I wish I could put my finger more precisely on what it is that doesn't get it done for me, something about not enough bottom end or, I guess, rhythm instrumentation. BTW, I will sing the praises of both Verve volumes of Getz and Barron at the Montmarte with Rufus Reid and Victor Lewis, but it's the inclusion of bass and drums that help pull these together and make them more memorable outings for me.

Up over and out.

I guess with "People Time" it probably doesn't have as much to do with Getz and Barron as it does my inability to warm to saxophone / piano duos. I wish I could put my finger more precisely on what it is that doesn't get it done for me, something about not enough bottom end or, I guess, rhythm instrumentation.

Dave, have you heard the recently re-issued "Bossas and Ballads" which features the two with George Mraz, bass, and Victor Lewis, drums? It was actually the first album that Getz recorded for A&M in 1989, but not issued at the time for some reason. Anyway, you'll probably dig it! (I do.) :tup

• 5 years later...
That Getz-Barron duo album was superb. Getz was really inspired by Kenny Barron's playing. The two of them were also magnificient in an earlier (July 1987) date at Copenhagen's Montmartre Club that produced the 'Anniversary' and 'Serenity' CDs on the EmArcy/Gitanes Jazz label. Getz and Barron had Rufus Reid on bass and Victor Lewis on drums along on those two.
I agree. ll the stuff with Getz and Barron is superb. (Don't forget 'Voyage'). People Time is great. I used to practice with it. Their time alone you can set a clock to, but rhe interaction and choice of tunes (First Song, Surrey, etc.) is inspired. I'm glad someone had the brains to record them as a duo. Edited by fasstrack

Up...

because Universal is releasing a 7CD box with lots of previously unreleased material from the 1991 Montmartre gig (at a very acceptable price):

Stan Getz/Kenny Barron People Time

Earlier this year, Universal also released a 6 cd box containing the individual Charlie Haden Montreal concerts from 1989 that were originally released by Verve within the last 10-12 years or so:

http://www.amazon.de/Montreal-Tapes-Charli...7956&sr=1-1

Is the new People Time box all duo recordings, or does it include extras from the quartet recordings originally released on Anniversary and Serenity?

Is the new People Time box all duo recordings, or does it include extras from the quartet recordings originally released on Anniversary and Serenity?

I had a brief look at the box. Everything was recorded on consecutive nights at the Montmartre club in March 1991. Looked like all seven discs had nothing but duos!

Up...

because Universal is releasing a 7CD box with lots of previously unreleased material from the 1991 Montmartre gig (at a very acceptable price):

Earlier this year, Universal also released a 6 cd box containing the individual Charlie Haden Montreal concerts from 1989 that were originally released by Verve within the last 10-12 years or so:

That box omits the concert with Gismonti (released on ECM), it seems, and contains the trio sets with Don Cherry (& Ed Blackwell), Joe Henderson (& Al Foster), Paul Bley, Geri Allen and Gonazalo Rubalcaba, as well as the Liberation Music Orchestra set.

Up...

That box omits the concert with Gismonti (released on ECM), it seems, and contains the trio sets with Don Cherry (& Ed Blackwell), Joe Henderson (& Al Foster), Paul Bley, Geri Allen and Gonazalo Rubalcaba, as well as the Liberation Music Orchestra set.

It also omits the concert with Metheny which has never been released, probably because Pat won't give the go ahead.

No idea, but the Ella In Hollywood box should have been released today and it says it will be delivered as soon as it's released... Maybe Universal folded last night? :g

Those Hip o Select releases are limited. My guess is that none of the non-US sites will get these. On the other hand, the Haden and Getz/Barron are European Universal releases, with the latter not even being available in Europe on its release date!