Getz-Barron People Time

Jerry

Does anybody know the difference between these two box sets?

http://www.amazon.com/People-Time-Stan-Kenny-Barron/dp/B003A0619G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271995192&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/People-Time-Stan-Kenny-Barron/dp/B002R7SCOK/ref=pd_cp_m_0

The former was just released two days ago by Sunny Side Records, the latter 5 months ago by 101 Distribution. Looks like ImportCDs sells either for roughly the same price (+- $3).

I do like the audio clips. :tup

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ They're the same set--just US vs. European distribution (and perhaps manufacturing?). Should be virtually identical.

Thanks, Ron! It's going on my wish list.

I have both of the listings to which you linked on mine--when I finally pull the trigger, I'll go for the cheapest! rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

^ They're the same set--just US vs. European distribution (and perhaps manufacturing?). Should be virtually identical.

Thanks, Ron! It's going on my wish list.

Well, I ordered the U.S. edition through Borders the other day. I absolutely love the music but am disappointed in the cheap packaging. A sturdy, black glossy box (good), but inside the box each CD is in its own plain black paper, dime-a-dozen sleeve. What the heck? I only put CD-R's in paper sleeves.

Whoever placed the CDs in the sleeves at the factory left hairline scratches in the process. This is what we get for $70 retail, $103 for the import? Since when are slimline jewel cases too expensive? :tdown

Well, this seems to be be the new way to bring out box sets. CAM Jazz is doing it with their Soul Note/Black Saint boxes, Universal has done similar sets by Oscar Peterson and Charlie Haden, TCB has done a George Gruntz box that way... and I actually like it, even more so if there's a booklet (which is not the case with the CAM Jazz sets).

But 70$ is way too much (on the other hand the $ is low and you're buying a yurpeen product, so you experience some of what we've got when buying US products for much of the past 15 years or so...)

I think the best offer nowadays might be from amazon.de, just shy of 40€.

Well, this seems to be be the new way to bring out box sets. CAM Jazz is doing it with their Soul Note/Black Saint boxes, Universal has done similar sets by Oscar Peterson and Charlie Haden, TCB has done a George Gruntz box that way... and I actually like it, even more so if there's a booklet (which is not the case with the CAM Jazz sets).

But 70$ is way too much (on the other hand the $ is low and you're buying a yurpeen product, so you experience some of what we've got when buying US products for much of the past 15 years or so...)

I think the best offer nowadays might be from amazon.de, just shy of 40€.

The best price seems to be at Amazon Canada. Bought the set there at C$37.99 a couple of months ago and I see it is still in stock at that price. That is the equivalent of around $36 or Euro 28.

Checked out this set on Amazon.com Canada-for some reason even after I added another inexpensive item to get price over $40CD free shipping wasn't added.

40% Borders coupon expired last weekend.

Any other sources?

No free shipping over international borders, I'd guess. I've never earned it on Amazon.com (vs. Amazon.ca) items to Canada no matter how much I've bought. Pay the shipping and it'll still be cheaper than from any one else.

Also, perhaps if the items are to be shipped by different suppliers and since they can't be put in the same box, there's no free shipping.

The whole thing is available for 51 credits at eMusic. Not an amazing deal (particularly with their higher prices), but none of this pricing scheme of 12 dl for an album (which sometimes works in one's favor but generally does not for jazz box sets -- I've actually seen a cost of 24 dls for 9 actual tracks -- needless to say I didn't bite). Had they been using the 12 dls/album that would have been 84.

There are 3 tracks less than a minute, including one of them tuning up, which I think I can safely skip, so roughly 48 tracks, which works out to pretty close to $20 under most of the pricing schemes. I suppose I can go for that, esp. before they decide to up it to 84 dls.

Edited by ejp626

• 2 weeks later...

The whole thing is available for 51 credits at eMusic. Not an amazing deal (particularly with their higher prices), but none of this pricing scheme of 12 dl for an album (which sometimes works in one's favor but generally does not for jazz box sets -- I've actually seen a cost of 24 dls for 9 actual tracks -- needless to say I didn't bite). Had they been using the 12 dls/album that would have been 84.

There are 3 tracks less than a minute, including one of them tuning up, which I think I can safely skip, so roughly 48 tracks, which works out to pretty close to $20 under most of the pricing schemes. I suppose I can go for that, esp. before they decide to up it to 84 dls.

I got mine from emusic, but I had gotten 75 free credits to re-up, and canceled after the first month (they keep inviting me back with offers like this). I'd already had most of the music dl'd from dime, but from an inferior cassette source.

I always love Barron. I saw him quite recently in a solo concert right in my neighborhood at the Brooklyn Conservatory, and last year a fabulous duo w/ Mulgrew Miller @ Tanglewood.

I only saw Getz live once, in early '75, when I was in college. A guy named Jack Tafoya had a great UHF show that he taped at Brooklyn College studios, and I got tickets because I was in Chuck Israels' jazz history class. The band had Dailey, Houston & Hart. I'm afraid all the tapes of the programs must have been lost.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19750525&id=IBIRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_dcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3050,6759463

• 5 months later...

I never owned the original 2 CD set, but I did pick up the 7 CD box last year and have been gradually wending my way through it since the summer. I'm 5 CDs in and this is really magical music. I've heard Getz music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s and, while I like it, none of it comes close to matching the depth of this stuff.

Guy

I never owned the original 2 CD set, but I did pick up the 7 CD box last year and have been gradually wending my way through it since the summer. I'm 5 CDs in and this is really magical music. I've heard Getz music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s and, while I like it, none of it comes close to matching the depth of this stuff.

Guy

I couldn't agree more! I'm delighted every time I crack open that box.

Guy

I suggest picking up the late '80s Getz quartet (with Barron) live stuff, all of which I find excellent: ANNIVERSARY (EmArcy), SERENITY (EmArcy), SOUL EYES (Concord) and YOURS AND MINE (Concord). Getz's playing as well as Barron's are superb on these albums as well. I listen more to these sets because I prefer the presence of a rhythm section, but I too enjoy the 2-CD PEOPLE TIME set as well.

Edited by MartyJazz

I suggest picking up the late '80s Getz quartet (with Barron) live stuff, all of which I find excellent: ANNIVERSARY (EmArcy), SERENITY (EmArcy), SOUL EYES (Concord) and YOURS AND MINE (Concord). Getz's playing as well as Barron's are superb on these albums as well.

Seconded! All of those are really enjoyable, some of Getz's best stuff for sure.

• 4 months later...

Guy

I suggest picking up the late '80s Getz quartet (with Barron) live stuff, all of which I find excellent: ANNIVERSARY (EmArcy), SERENITY (EmArcy), SOUL EYES (Concord) and YOURS AND MINE (Concord). Getz's playing as well as Barron's are superb on these albums as well. I listen more to these sets because I prefer the presence of a rhythm section, but I too enjoy the 2-CD PEOPLE TIME set as well.

I recently listened to Serenity and Anniversary for the first time - I was surprised to hear Getz pull out some avant-gardisms, didn't realize he had those in his bag. Anyway, some great intense bebop playing on those as well as his balladeering.

Guy

• 9 years later...