Your 3 Favorite Ellington LPs

paul secor

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first post here. I joined up at the suggestion of a fellow fourumite; Allen Lowe.

Anyway, Here are some of my go-to Duke disks:

#1 The Cosmic Scene, keep in mind that he's backed by Spacemen, not his usual famous orchestra, which makes all the difference for me.

#2 Saturday Night Function, This is a nifty 10" HMV LP from the 50's. The quality of the transfers is top notch. Late 20's- early 30's Victor material.

#3 The SESAC 45, Duke's DJ Special. I picked this one up a while ago. I really like how his late 50's group was captured by Crown. I want to pick up the SESAC LP as well. Crown also put together a great Duke tribute record, too: Compositions of Duke Ellngton and Others, with the likes of Ben Webster, Juan Tizol, Conte Condoli--The list goes on.

• 7 years later...

Ellington at Newport (why has no one mentioned this?)

Ellington Uptown

And His Mother Called Him Bill

but there are dozens of others worthy of being on the list - these may have as much to do with their initial impact on me (I came to them all very early in my jazz journey) as their relative merit compared to his many other great recordings.

I'm not a huge Ellington fan...I can respect him more than fully enjoy him.  But I do really like these 4 (which is the requested 3, plus the ignored restriction at the beginning forbidding 78 reissues):

The Blanton/Webster Band (rereleased as Never No Lament), RCA - probably my first Ellington album

Fargo 1940 (various labels, including Storyville)

Unknown Session (Columbia) - also has a great cover

Hot Summer Dance (Flying Dutchman)

Especially on the last 3, the band is looser and more driving than usual.

Edited by mjzee

On 12/7/2009 at 2:04 PM, mikeweil said:

The Pianist (Capitol)

I'm not sure what this one is... a european issue?

Anyway, it may be some other version of this, which has always been my #1 Ellington favorite (not otherwise mentioned in this thread, unless I missed it):

R-3046769-1381604044-2162.jpeg.jpg

Also love the album with Trane, and although I was never really a huge fan of Ella (at least relative to some of the other great vocalists), I still think that the collaboration with Ellington was by far the best and most re-listenable of her entire "Songbook" series.

Edited by Jim R

• 3 weeks later...

Three?!?!?! Impossible! :) 

O.K. I'll give it a shot: How about Piano in the Foreground, Far East Suite, and The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse.

. . .

Or Ellington Uptown, Anatomy of a Murder, and The Great Paris Concert.

. . .

Or Piano Reflections, The All-Star Road Band, Vol. 1, and Blues in Orbit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I agree. though "The Complete" has a couple of cuts that aren't on the Gold disc they aren't all in the mood of the rest of the record. The "Gold" disc is great.