Your 3 Favorite Ellington LPs

paul secor

Was thinking about the Ellington LPs I have, & thought about deciding which three are my favorites.

Ended up with:

Blues in Orbit

The Ellington Suites - for The Queen's Suite

"...and his mother called him Bill"

Hated to leave Such Sweet Thunder off, but those are my three.

I'd be interested to see other people's choices. Please limit them to records that were actually initially issued as LPs or CDs - not compilations of early material from 78s.

Rules, rules, rules! I'm sick of you and your rules, Paul!

But, okay, playing by your rules, my choices for today are:

The Great Paris Concert (Probably the LP-era Ellington I play the most. "Star-Crossed Lovers," "Harlem," "Suite Thursday," and a killer version of "Rockin' in Rhythm" are among the highlights.)

Masterpieces by Ellington

Ellington Uptown.

On another day, I might give you a different answer, including your #2 & 3 choices.

i dopnt know but recenet,y i got all these completely mint vinyl conditoin columbia "six-eye" duke lps in the .99 c. bin, like 4 or 5 of them-- oh and then some on capitol too, also very nice- that ones called 'ellingyon 55' i think. the columbias, i know one was 'such sweet thunder' and some other ones too i dont remember riight now. the are stone cold mint vinyl thouhgh, it will be some high-quality duke

jazzbo:/ ive never heard of dukes 'private collection' but that is the title of my favorite jon & vangelis cd

So far...

Blues In Orbit

Far East Suite

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane

I really love the bonus track "Piano Improvisation #1" from Piano In The Foreground, and love Ellington in that small group setting but not exclusively. I can see why people get caught up buying everything they can from his discography.

okay, I'll play too....

I assume we're choosing from lp era Ellington and ignoring the compilations of 78 era material

Such Sweet Thunder

Far East Suite

And His Mother Called Him Bill

Thank God I'm still able to listen to the other 200+ EKE titles in my collection!

After 'Bill'

and ''Back to Back'

I think I'd pick an RCA Lp of the 1950 band - 'The Seattle Concert' which has possibly the best version of 'Harlem' on record and shows the band in very fine form. I'd really prefer a 78 collection though, especially from the early 30s. (Blue Ramble, Merry Go Round, Slippery Horn etc.)

I can't attempt to do three, but I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned "The 70th Birthday Concert" which I have on a double Solid State LP. I trust that it's been reissued on CD.

Yes, it has.

The 70th Birthday Concert

The Latin American Suite

Ellington Indigoes