Bill Evans Album (Columbia) available again

jazzbo

Actually what I said above was too simplistic because Evans was doing more than simply subdividing changes inside the bar, he was also knocking down the bar barrier, displacing phrases across bars and chords... Too much can be made, too, of Evans' personal life and drug abuse. I think we should evaluate his art on its own merits.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody for real early Evans, 1956-59? I've always thought his initial Prestige recording was the most original/personal interpretation of Tristano around -

'Everybody Digs Bill Evans' from 1958 is my favorite by him. love the "Peace Piece"/"Some Other Time" work on it.

More and more my favorites are the final years, for all their supposed problems, they really fascinate me.
They are fascinating. His personal language was so evolved, and there's an intensity there. The harmonic language is pretty amazing, and since he played the same pieces a lot his whole career, it's interesting how they evolved. But, like I said, don't expect it to swing like Basie. Those tempos fly away from note one. Get what's to be gotten.........

anybody for real early Evans, 1956-59? I've always thought his initial Prestige recording was the most original/personal interpretation of Tristano around -

'Everybody Digs Bill Evans' from 1958 is my favorite by him. love the "Peace Piece"/"Some Other Time" work on it.

Hey John

Me too and the studio albums with LaFaro a close second, (maybe underrated in the shadow of the Village Vanguard stuff?) especially Explorations which has some great tunes and great interpretations of them.

After that I reach for the late trio. Those boxes have so much music on them The Ronnie Scott's performances too, and those Paris Gigs I must get a hold of.

He is someone I pretty much always find something of interest in and never get bored of putting on (and my wife tolerates it all too as a bonus, though she doesn't like his work with Konitz...)

Recently reading a piece by Gene Lees (in Reading Jazz ed Robert Gottlieb) which flagged up Hi Lilli Hi Lo as special significance made me dig it out of the Fantasy box and thouroughly enjoyed that.

There was briefly a compilation of the Columbia stuff which I used to have but traded which I wish I could go back to... Any views on that?

• 1 year later...

At the time of the Columbia album, I don't think that Bill Evans had embraced the polyester Leisure Suit or beard as viable media for artistic expression. That is one of the reasons this album leaves me cold.

Many drug addicts grow beards to hide the facial ulcerations from infections and lack of fatty tissue in their cheeks. Evans had a beard to his dying last days.

At the time of the Columbia album, I don't think that Bill Evans had embraced the polyester Leisure Suit or beard as viable media for artistic expression. That is one of the reasons this album leaves me cold.

Many drug addicts grow beards to hide the facial ulcerations from infections and lack of fatty tissue in their cheeks. Evans had a beard to his dying last days.

Thanks. Now explain the leisure suits. ;)

I will venture and say that the leisure suits and other over-sized garments were also a way for him to cover the dilapidated state of his body. Like most chronic addicts he was most probably remarkably scrawny. The large garments may also have allowed him to carry concealed syringes and whatever other paraphernalia.

It may not be an indication of anything, but I have never seen a BE photo in a t-shirt.

I will venture and say that the leisure suits and other over-sized garments were also a way for him to cover the dilapidated state of his body. Like most chronic addicts he was most probably remarkably scrawny. The large garments may also have allowed him to carry concealed syringes and whatever other paraphernalia.

It may not be an indication of anything, but I have never seen a BE photo in a t-shirt.

I'm taking a wild guess that the next post will be that photo...

..wait for it....

I'm taking a wild guess that the next post will be that photo...

..wait for it....

And here it is...not strictly a t-shirt..but almost!

Great to see such heated discussions about Bill Evans. I've never found his time that horrible..nor his sense for ballads. But I liked him better not playing the Rhodes, there's so many more colors in the acoustic piano for him to paint the pictures.

post-13156-129591121109_thumb.jpg

While I was having some fun with my posts in this thread, I have a substantial Bill Evans accumulation, but I unloaded this one because the cover is so hideous. That and the Rhodes, which is not suited for this kind of music. Presentation is important to me.

Hmmmm, that's an interesting comment from someone so enamored with listening to Beatles music so substandardly performed by non-Beatles!