LF: (yeah, I know) Dinah Washington - Complete on Mercury - Vols.3-5

Hi everyone,

I could still kick myself for not having had the cash way back when, but today it really can't be helped.

Maybe there's one of you out there who dislikes these CDs enough to sell me volumes 3 - 5 (I have vols 1 & 2). I'd even take the rather mediocre (to put it mildly) vols 6 & 7 off your hands in one fell swoop if we could agree on some price that's a bit below the outrageous prices these sets are sold for around the web.

This is really the only set I'm still missing in a collection tailored to nothing but my own tastes. I totally love Dinah's jazz sides and am afraid of having to go to my grave without ever having completed vols. 1-5.

At least I've tried ...

Thanks for looking!

Edit: That should of course read "Mercury" above, but I don't seem to be able to change the thread title. :/

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

• 2 months later...

If you find two, please let me know :)

MG

All 7 volumes are up on eBay at the moment with 4 days to go. No bids yet (but probably snipers in the wings).

I managed to get mine from all around the globe and I have the complete run now (wasn't cheap), but whoever is interested in these might be able to get them cheaper than what they usually go for. No idea. Give it a try.

MG

All 7 volumes are up on eBay at the moment with 4 days to go. No bids yet (but probably snipers in the wings).

I managed to get mine from all around the globe and I have the complete run now (wasn't cheap), but whoever is interested in these might be able to get them cheaper than what they usually go for. No idea. Give it a try.

Thanks. How do I find them NOF?

MG

MG

MG

I searched for "Complete Dinah Washington Mercury" on eBay and found these in a few seconds :)

If you plan to bid on these, my advice would be to wait until the last few seconds of the auctions and then place bids. If you bid early on eBay you're only inviting others to try and outbid you, which will drive the prices up. Better still, if you're bidding on several auctions that, like these ones, end at almost the same time, use a sniping service: you can place your maximum bids with them anytime you want during the auction and they'll do the bidding in the last few seconds for you.

Edited by J.A.W.

MG

MG

I searched for "Complete Dinah Washington Mercury" on eBay and found these in a few seconds :)

If you plan to bid on these, my advice would be to wait until the last few seconds of the auctions and then place bids, or, better still if you're bidding on several auctions that end at almost the same time like these ones, use a sniping service. If you bid early you're only inviting others to try and outbid you, which will drive the prices up.

Thanks very much Hans. I've got 4 days to work out which ones I want since I've got the Proper box already.

MG

MG,

good advice from Hans. Bid in the last second. :)

I bought these individually and got them at comparatively reasonable prices (besides one which I had to pay over $100 for (as new)). Of course, with my luck, now the whole set is on eBay just after I completed my run. I'm very happy with the sound on these and depending on a) your stereo and b) if Proper ripped this copy off 1:1 (which I doubt), you should really buy into these reissues. They're pretty much definitive (until someone goes the Billie Holiday route and packs them up in a cheapo box somewhere down the line (I doubt that will happen) and makes them much (!) cheaper). I have no idea how these will develop on eBay, but considering the prices elsewhere (and the state some of those second-hand copies are in) I would jump on all of them now ... you can still sell one or two copies down the line. Anything below $40 per box is cheap (!) and for some, even prices below $80 (if as new) are reasonable.

I bought all of them because I love Dinah Washington's voice, but if your finances are limited or you aren't really sure, I would definitely get the first five volumes covering 1946-1958. After that, it really depends if you would count yourself in the Dinah Washington camp that considers her late 50s pop phase the highlight of her career or not. Volume 5 is where we still have the mainstream swing (and the 1958 Newport tracks) just before she started hitting it "big" (volumes 6 & 7 cover that phase extensively) and went "pop".

Good luck!

And post here what you got one/several volumes for so I can shoot myself in the head. :)

Edited by neveronfriday

MG,

I bought these individually and got them at comparatively reasonable prices (besides one which I had to pay over $100 for (as new)). Of course, with my luck, now the whole set is on eBay just after I completed my run. I'm very happy with the sound on these and depending on a) your stereo and b) if Proper ripped this copy off 1:1 (which I doubt), you should really buy into these reissues. They're pretty much definitive (until someone goes the Billie Holiday route and packs them up in a cheapo box somewhere down the line (I doubt that will happen) and makes them much (!) cheaper). I have no idea how these will develop on eBay, but considering the prices elsewhere (and the state some of those second-hand copies are in) I would jump on all of them now ... you can still sell one or two copies down the line. Anything below $40 per box is cheap (!) and for some, even prices below $80 (if as new) are reasonable.

I bought all of them because I love Dinah Washington's voice, but if your finances are limited or you aren't really sure, I would definitely get the first five volumes covering 1946-1958. After that, it really depends if you would count yourself in the Dinah Washington camp that considers her late 50s pop phase the highlight of her career or not. Volume 5 is where we still have the mainstream swing (and the 1958 Newport tracks) just before she started hitting it "big" (volumes 6 & 7 cover that phase extensively) and went "pop".

Good luck!

And post here what you got one/several volumes for so I can shoot myself in the head. :)

Good grief! $80 a set! Bollocks to that! I'm a professional cheapskate; average price I pay for CDs is $7-8. Maximum ever (when I was at work) was about $60 (for an LP).

Thanks folks, but I'm clearly out of my league in even thinking of this.

MG

MG,

Good luck!

Good grief! $80 a set! Bollocks to that! I'm a professional cheapskate; average price I pay for CDs is $7-8. Maximum ever (when I was at work) was about $60 (for an LP).

MG

If nobody else bids on these sets (not very likely, but it has happened) you are smack-dab-in-the-middle of your league. Set a maximum amount you're willing to pay, snipe ... and hope you get one/two or more. I don't do eBay anymore, but in the past I've been extremely lucky with some of the auctions there. At least give it a shot! You'll be frustrated if someone else gets these for $20 per box.

MG,

Good luck!

MG

If nobody else bids on these sets (not very likely, but it has happened) you are smack-dab-in-the-middle of your league. Set a maximum amount you're willing to pay, snipe ... and hope you get one/two or more. I don't do eBay anymore, but in the past I've been extremely lucky with some of the auctions there. At least give it a shot! You'll be frustrated if someone else gets these for $20 per box.

Volkher is right - remember that these are 3CD-sets, so I assume your price range for these would be $21 - $24.

You can definitely still find reasonable prices on these. I, too, am a cheapskate when it comes to purchasing music and I managed to snag all seven volumes in separate auctions over the past year or so and the most I paid for any single set was $38 if I recall correctly.

How much did these go for?

I forgot to watch the auctions.

An eBay search produced this page within a few seconds :)

I can't access that, Hans. You have to be a member or something.

MG

Yep, you have to be an eBay member and sign in to see that page.

From what you said I gather you're not a member and didn't bid on any of the sets.