So who gives you a jazz high?

kenny weir

I suspect a lot of folks here are like me - when they listen to non-jazz arists they are often, but not always, looking to get a similar buzz from the music.

My faves:

Bing Crosby (could pass as jazz anyhow)

Van Morrison

The Grateful Dead

Others that come to mind:

Steely Dan

John Martyn

Joni Mitchell

Frank Zappa

Wynton Marsalis

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Van Morrison, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, and the Dead too.

I think these cats sort of give me a similar buzz:

Jimi Hendrix

Pink Floyd

WAR

Isaac Hayes

Curtis Mayfield

James Brown/The JB's

Parliament/Funkadelic

Jamiroquai (1st 3 albums)

DJ Krush

Air

Speaking of the Dead, ever hear this odd release called GRAYFOLDED from 1995? A cool listen, if you haven't:

http://www.accessplace.com/gdtc/1041.htm

:rsmile: :rhappy: :rsmile:

Edited by Noj

Totally agree with Steely Dan, and Fagan's solo work!

Also for me:

Jane Siberry (Canadian singer/songwriter who embraces many styles)

XTC

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Prefab Sprout

Big Country

Slayer

AC/DC

Johnny Mercer

Psychedelic Furs

Red House Painters

Wow, I don't think I can relate to anything that's been posted so far. Don't get me wrong, I like many and possibly most of the artists mentioned so far, but none of them have anything like what I'd call a "jazz feel" to me. In fact, I've been listening to P-Funk all day, partly to give myself a break from jazz (and to give a few discs a needed workout).

EDIT: Okay, some Zappa (mentioned above) I can sort of see. Captain Beefheart I could sort of see. Certain Hank Williams recordings I could see (especially in the guitar solos). Damo-era Can I could see. But as much as I love Hendrix, P-Funk and others, they were in a whole different universe as far as both approach AND "feel" to me.

Edited by J Larsen

I can't believe someone mentioned Can. I love that group, especially when Damo was singing. My favorite Can album is Tago Mago, there is some great stuff on that one. There's a lot of great German music from that period such as Ash Ra Tempel or Agitation Free.

I'm a big ol' Deadhead. I've got hundreds of shows. A lot of people slag them off, but if they were amazing in the late sixties and early seventies. I'd highly recommend stuff from late '68 - early '69 and '72-'74 if you really like jamming.

I like a lot of late sixties rock. Beatles, Byrds, Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Airplane.

Of recent bands, I really like Stereolab. I prefer the middle period stuff, such as their Mars Audiac Quintet album.

From country music, I'd suggest Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West. There are some compilations of their stuff from the '50s that are pretty amazing. Bryant was an amazing guitarist. Joe Maphis is really good too!

The stuff I mentioned isn't jazz (1974 Grateful Dead is very jazzy, though), but it takes me someplace.

:rsmile:

Wow, I don't think I can relate to anything that's been posted so far. Don't get me wrong, I like many and possibly most of the artists mentioned so far, but none of them have anything like what I'd call a "jazz feel" to me. In fact, I've been listening to P-Funk all day, partly to give myself a break from jazz (and to give a few discs a needed workout).

EDIT: Okay, some Zappa (mentioned above) I can sort of see. Captain Beefheart I could sort of see.  Certain Hank Williams recordings I could see (especially in the guitar solos). Damo-era Can I could see. But as much as I love Hendrix, P-Funk and others, they were in a whole different universe as far as both approach AND "feel" to me.

In my list, I would say I get a jazzy/ish feel specifically from these tracks:

Jimi Hendrix "South Saturn Delta" "Third Stone From The Sun"

Pink Floyd "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (edit: now I'm thinking no)

WAR "River Niger"

Isaac Hayes "Cafe Reggio"

Curtis Mayfield "Give Me Your Love"(edit: again, no)

James Brown/The JB's "The JB's Monorail"

Parliament/Funkadelic "I'll Stay"

Jamiroquai "Music Of The Mind"

DJ Krush--any instrumental

Air--any instrumental

Edited by Noj

Different sets of ears, I guess. I'm familiar with all the artists/tracks you mention (except Jamiroquai), but the feel is not "jazzy" to me. I like many of them, however.

IMO Jamiroquai, when they had their original bass player, were so much better than their radio singles would suggest. Worth a listen, they had this Stevie Wonder-meets-digeridoos-and-drum-n-bass thing going. Some can't stand JKay's singing, but it never bothered me and I like his lyrics. :rhappy:

I'm astonished that Santana hasn't come up here yet. Any version of Soul Sacrifice, the great Lotus live set with Leon Thomas, Welcome...

The great Allman Brothers Fillmore Concerts. Whipping Post is as close to Trane as rock got...

With the possible exception of the Byrds Eight Miles High.

King Crimson Red, Islands and Larks Tongues in Aspic.

Caravanserai! (when is this going to get 'the treatment'...we were promised a Laswell job a few years back).

I think King Crimson fit the bill in terms of improvisation; rhythmically they are many miles away.

Richard Thompson can play some great Djangoish guitar when it suits him -his great version od 'Rockin in Rhythm'; and the many versions of 'Al Bowly's in Heaven.'

Sixties UK folk guitarist Davy Graham had a jazzy style, often recording tunes by the likes of Blakey and Mingus.

Noj, if you're willing to compare Jamiroquai to Stevie Wonder I'll give them a try. I was just listening to "Fulfillingness..." this afternoon. I'll bite my tounge as far as Santana and the Allman Bros. go.

JLarsen,

Stevie smokes Jamiroquai badly, I'm afraid. Just to clarify. In actuality I have heard people say JKay tries to sound too much like Stevie. The first three Jamiroquais are cool to me, but not equivalent to Stevie's talent/musicianship/prolificity(is that a word?).

I really dig Santana Caravanserai, especially the first track.