So who gives you a jazz high?

kenny weir

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't so much thinking of music with a "jazzy feel" to it, more of music that gives me that elated feeling that I get from jazz. Maybe I misunderstood the topic.

Impossible, that's exactly what I meant. Interesting responses, though.

Re Santana: I think their Borbolotta album is a "lost classic".

Re the Grateful Dead: I'm reading Dennis McNally's book at the moment and spent a while trawling various Dead-related sites yesterday. I wasn't appalled to find the band is going on the road, following a few gigs late last year, as the Dead. I am a little disturbed by the fact they're taking Joan Osborne with them. She joins Lesh, the two drummers, Weir and two or three others.

I have nothing but respect for the likes of Little Feat, who also went with the female vox thing after a short post-Lowell George stint with Craig Fuller, and the Allmans for just keepin' going.

But it seems a little sad the post-Garcia Dead may be going the same route.

I'd still love to see/hear one of the shows, though!

Great topic!!! If I'm not careful I could get really revved up on this one.Here's another vote for the great Carlos Santana! Also the band that his brother Jorge fronted, Malo was pretty hot too!

Others include Los Lobos, Laura Nyro,Frank Zappa,Steely Dan,Dan Hicks,Little Feat,Ronnie Earl,Rod Piazza,Luther Allison,BB King,Buddy Guy,Leo Kottke and a group that has gotten a lot of mention here recently-the Pentangle and these are just a few who come to mind! :D

Frank Zappa

Bob Marley

King Crimson - Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp

Brian Eno

Devo

The Residents

Gary Newman

The Stooges

Lou Reed

John Cale

Parliament- Funkadelic

Tom Waits

Fugazi

Frank Black

Mike Watt

Beastie Boys (instrumental)

Steve Albini

Ginger Baker

Henry Cow

Pere Ubu

Henry Kaiser

Diamanda Galas

Bill Laswell

Garbage (don't ask, okay?)

I really liked the first two Garbage albums.

( Didn't care for the third nearly as much, or maybe I haven't spun it enough yet. )

Totally agree about Garbage! First 2 (+ all the b-sides) are fantastic. They definitely give me a rush, but I sure wouldn't call it a "jazz" high. The third "BeautifulGarbage" has taken awhile to reveal itself to me.

But we saw 'em open up for No Doubt late last year and they OWNED Denver that nite! (So did No Doubt BTW). And the new songs rocked!

So I really need to give that one a spin again...probably right now!

And Bjork is an incredible artist who can change and mix genres of music with a flick of her cute little wrist...

"It's Oh So Quiet" by her. Wow!!! You either love it or hate it. Count me with the former. What a big band!!!

Bjork-always a good time in concert. I've only seen one, and I danced my ass off! But I've viewed many others and she delivers the goods.

Edited by Parkertown

No one laugh.....

Gino Vannelli.

I'm not talking about his stuff post 1980. I was a fan of his back in the day. A couple of years ago, he played the Montreal Jazz Festival. I could not attend as my wife and I had the kids with us but when we got back home, we found he was booked into a local club.

His band included Alain Caron and Paul Brochu of Uzeb, plus a couple of other jazz musicians from the Montreal area. Very nice show with a very strong jazz feel.

Nick Drake's recordings have some very jazzy moments. Several jazzers have picked this up on 'River Man'...I'd like to see them try a few more!

I love the song Poor Boy off Bryter Later. His guitar on that song got me interested in Joao Gilberto years ago. I also dig, At the Chime of the City Clock. I really love the Five Leaves Left album because the songs are great and I love the orchestrations, but Bryter Later is my sleeper favorite. I know Pink Moon gets a lot of notice, but I don't listen to it nearly as much.

- J.S. Bach

- Edgard Varèse

- Morton Feldman

- Gérard Grisey (the greatest French living composer until he suddenly died few years ago at the age of fifty-two. He was the lmost illustrious composer with Tristan Murail of the so-called school of "Musique Spectrale)

- Jimi Hendrix

- The Doors

- Captain Beefheart

- Robert Wyatt

- Tony Joe White

- Johnny Shines

- Sarmila Roy (india, singer)

Give your concentration to 'Things Behind the Sun' on Pink Moon. I think it's my favourite Drake track. I agree that Pink Moon is a much harder disc to make sense of.

I do love that track.

I guess Pink Moon is just tough to listen to because I understand what Drake was going through at that time. You could see his sadness in all his records, but Pink Moon and those last recordings on Time of No Reply seem more desperate. I guess Five Leaves Left and Bryter Later appeal to me because, although he was depressed, he seemed to have hope.

I think he thought that Bryter Later was going to be his success. You can see the hopefulness in it. The fact that he had Richard Thompson playing on some of it probably built up some steam for him. I think after the failure of that record in the marketplace, that little glimmer of hope that he had seemed to vanish.

I think he thought that Bryter Later was going to be his success. You can see the hopefulness in it. The fact that he had Richard Thompson playing on some of it probably built up some steam for him. I think after the failure of that record in the marketplace, that little glimmer of hope that he had seemed to vanish.

I read somewhere - in either the Drake or Thompson bios - that Thompson was fairly cool about his role in the Drake records. Both Drake and Thompson were rising Island singers/guitarists/songwriters. The writer suggested a bit of jealousy from Thompson in the way Drake was lionised.

• 8 years later...