"It's Jazz, Charlie Brown: the Vince Guaraldi Story"

ghost of miles

Features interviews with Doug Ramsey, Peanuts producer Lee Mendelson, Guaraldi friend and sideman Eddie Duran, Guaraldi's son David, and jazz pianist Luke Gillespie, as well as music from the beginning of Guaraldi's career to the end:

It's Jazz, Charlie Brown: the Vince Guaraldi Story

Happy holidays to all!

Next week: "Bob Brookmeyer and Some of His Friends."

Edited by ghost of miles

Up for broadcast tonight on:

WMCE-Erie, Pennsylvania (8 p.m. EST)

WNIN-Evansville, Indiana (9 p.m. CST)

Oklahoma Public Radio (11 p.m. CST)

WFIU-Bloomington, IN (11 p.m. EST)

...and tomorrow night:

Blue Lake Public Radio (10 p.m. EST)

KMBH-Brownsville, Texas (10 p.m. EST)

WVAS-Montgomery, Alabama (10 p.m. CST)

WBEZ-Chicago will use the Guaraldi Night Lights excerpt to kick off their "Holidays Unwrapped: Audio Gifts From WBEZ" special, airing today at 12 p.m. CST and again on Christmas morning at 9 a.m. CST. Not sure how they've edited the excerpt, but no doubt for the better... anyway, happy holidays to Chi-town Organissimo posters and beyond.

Ghost...I meant to write about the following matter a while back but was lacking a high-speed internet connection over the holidays while visiting family in Virginia.

Anyway, I was very happy to tune into local NPR station broadcasting out of (either Richmond or Norfolk) Virginia on Christmas Day while boarding a ferry that crosses the James River and to stumble upon not the Vince Guaraldi show but actually a different Christmas show of yours called "Afterglow," I believe. There were a few choice selections from Vince Guaraldi but if I'm not mistaken you began by disecting the history of the song "White Christmas" as it appeared in film, and then played among other holiday favorites the song from "The Grinch who Stole Christmas" which I hadn't heard in several years but enjoyed in a whole different way (from the time when I was a kid). I don't suppose this show was archived anywhere? If so, I would be interested in listening to it again, even though its after the new year.

Thoroughly enjoyed it,

Norm

Ghost...I meant to write about the following matter a while back but was lacking a high-speed internet connection over the holidays while visiting family in Virginia.

Anyway, I was very happy to tune into local NPR station broadcasting out of (either Richmond or Norfolk) Virginia on Christmas Day while boarding a ferry that crosses the James River and to stumble upon not the Vince Guaraldi show but actually a different Christmas show of yours called "Afterglow," I believe. There were a few choice selections from Vince Guaraldi but if I'm not mistaken you began by disecting the history of the song "White Christmas" as it appeared in film, and then played among other holiday favorites the song from "The Grinch who Stole Christmas" which I hadn't heard in several years but enjoyed in a whole different way (from the time when I was a kid). I don't suppose this show was archived anywhere? If so, I would be interested in listening to it again, even though its after the new year.

Thoroughly enjoyed it,

Norm

Norm, hey, thanks so much for telling me about hearing that--you were probably tuned into WHRV. They licensed a holiday Afterglow program I did that we had put up on the Public Radio Exchange, and yes, it is indeed archived...here you go:

Holidays on Film

Really glad you caught it! Here's the link to the Afterglow website--it's a jazz/ballads/American-popular-song program, generally more vocal-and-mood-based than Night Lights:

Afterglow

Thanks for the link, David. I only recognized your voice because I had listened (just days before) to the Guaraldi show via download, so it was kind of a surreal (totally unexpected) moment to hear you coming across the radio, especially because I was 2500 miles away from home and out on Xmas day and listening to the radio for only a short period on Christmas afternoon on my way to an old friend's Christmas gathering in Surrey county. The stars were lined up, I guess. Anyway, I kept the car radio on during the entire ferry ride. And yes, now that I think about it, it was indeed WHRV.

Thanks again for providing the link...I'm going to listen to it again now.

• 8 years later...