New Soul Station XRCD Blue Note - out now. Sounds great!

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/8/2017 at 10:48 AM, Bill Nelson said:

Wet Blanket Dept. : A glance this morning at Elusive Disc's JVC XRCD jazz titles shows all thirteen $14.99 sale items have returned to the original $29.99 price.

They must be very low on the remaining stock then?

Unless I'm mistaken, at this juncture, 19 titles have been released, 5 more are announced as 'preorder', and the following are oop-

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Tina Brooks - True Blue 

Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece

Well, so far I've compared the XRCD of Bluesnik to my 2000 JRVG and mid-1970s BN vinyl reissue.

JRVG is, characteristically, pretty much mono, with little of lower frequencies, and way much of high end. The 1970s blue label with white B vinyl has boomy bass, and sounds better than the JRVG.  XRCD easily tops them both, in every aspect, except perhaps I wouldn't mind more low end, but that can be easily remedied by the equalizer on my preamp.

Interestingly, the 1970s vinyl's stereo spread is the same as the XRCD, and it was pressed from an original RVG stamper, as is evidenced by the markings on the dead-wax. 

Tonight, the ultimate test - XRCD vs. Music Matters 45 rpm vinyl.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

I've always thought the RVG's were kind of a slap in the face. The nearly nonexistent low end, and way over the top high end plagued many of those releases. 

Glad to hear the mastering on the XRCDs has seemed to remedy that. 

I know you're not a vinyl guy, and coming from RVGs, If you haven't heard another digital incarnation of this music, you have no idea how good it can sound. So far, I'm very impressed with these xrcds.

It's not that I'm not a vinyl guy, I just prefer the most accurate representation of sound. That's all. 

And I actually DO have an idea of how good those recordings could sound. Just that I know the RVG editions were not it. 

It's funny, I have an old musician buddy of mine that built a pretty decent digital studio in his garage many moons ago. He's pushing 70, and when I went back to Florida a few years ago he brought me into his studio and was playing back some mixes that he'd done. Even in my 40's, with the degraded hearing associated with my age, the high end he had mixed into his material was just short of excruciating. And it's exactly what I hear in the RVG editions. An older, but still quality, ear that simply can't hear the highs as it once did. 

Now, I'll probably never buy any of the XRCDs, but I can fully appreciate the fact that a better ear returned them to what they could potentially sound like. And that's a very good thing. 

On 1/8/2017 at 10:48 AM, Bill Nelson said:

Wet Blanket Dept. : A glance this morning at Elusive Disc's JVC XRCD jazz titles shows all thirteen $14.99 sale items have returned to the original $29.99 price.

Importcds.com has 14  of these titles at $21.95. 

http://www.importcds.com/advancedsearch?aar=&aal=&aso=&ala=audio+wave+music&agn=&afrom=&ato=&afmt_cd=true&afmt_mdvd=true&afmt_lp=true&afmt_sacd=true&afmt_dd=true&afmt_other=true&mod=AM&r=1

I just placed an order for Doin' Allright and LD+3. The latter is listed as back ordered, let's see if I'll get lucky..

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2017 at 11:53 AM, Dmitry said:

Unless I'm mistaken, at this juncture, 19 titles have been released, 5 more are announced as 'preorder', and the following are oop-

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Tina Brooks - True Blue 

Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece

That was true at the time of the post but since then those 4 titles have come back in stock (Soul Station was out of print too but has since returned). So if you were considering purchasing a copy of one of these from a second-hand dealer for more than retail price, this might be a better option.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:59 PM, Jordan said:

That was true at the time of the post but since then those 4 titles have come back in stock (Soul Station was out of print too but has since returned). So if you were considering purchasing a copy of one of these from a second-hand dealer for more than retail price, this might be a better option.

That's cool. I will be ordering these. Thanks for the update.

EDIT: This is what's availbable here - https://www.importcds.com/search?q=Audio+Wave+Music&mod=LA

A bunch of them are listed as beck-ordered. Which is your source for these?

Edited by Dmitry

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

That's cool. I will be ordering these. Thanks for the update.

EDIT: This is what's availbable here - https://www.importcds.com/search?q=Audio+Wave+Music&mod=LA

A bunch of them are listed as beck-ordered. Which is your source for these?

The Blue Note XRCDs were put out by Elusive Disc: http://www.elusivedisc.com/Audio-Wave-Music-Blue-Note-XRCD24/products/1513/

• 4 years later...
On 2/1/2018 at 7:35 PM, jazzbo said:

Those last five I doubt will come out. I'd like to be wrong.

The word on the street is that the last 5 Blue Note XRCDs are going to start shipping soon. I can't believe that it took them this long to get them out, but there it is.

Now the big question... do I buy any of them? :)

Grant Green - Talkin' About!

Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off

Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At

Stanley Turrentine - Look Out!

Lou Donaldson - Lou Takes Off

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I've rarely if ever gone overboard for remasters but the XRCD results I have heard are pretty remarkable. This could be an expensive thread for showing me the Elusive Disc page for these releases.

I already have most of the original Blue Note XRCDs, including a few that I already owned as TOCJ CDs, breaking my own rules. :) I agree that they sound really good.

17 minutes ago, bresna said:

I already have most of the original Blue Note XRCDs, including a few that I already owned as TOCJ CDs, breaking my own rules. :) I agree that they sound really good.

The hard part is that of the ones they appear to have in stock, some are such stone cold classics that to miss them feels wrong. And ironically I don't even have a proper rig set up to enjoy them anymore - haven't replaced my wife's studio reference speakers in years.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

The hard part is that of the ones they appear to have in stock, some are such stone cold classics that to miss them feels wrong. 

Think of all the people who are already dead who will never hear them, they just heard the older versions.

They died in vain.

This is why we curse the gods.

Well we just closed and funded on a HELOC and they paid off my AMEX balance, where I charge nearly all of my monthly expenses - internet, gas, food. So with no payment in November to make, I decided to repurpose some of that money and ordered 10 of the in-stock BNs in this format.

Call it an early Christmas present and I am committed now to no more shopping for myself thru Dec 31. 

🤑

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

suprised these were so obscure even on the shelves way back when it sound GOOOOOOOOOOOD.   like this is something an old 1st pressing wouldnt ever be doing-good.   

They are expensive! Maybe that's why retailers didn't stock them, when you can get an RVG etc. for cheap. I paid € 45 for my copy, but as this is my favourite Blue and Mobley, I really wanted it.