New Soul Station XRCD Blue Note - out now. Sounds great!

monkboughtlunch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up all 4 of the new XRCDs and while they do sound great, the TOCJ versions of "True Blue" and "Speakin' My Piece" sound very similar.

Given that not everyone has the ability to buy these older TOCJ discs, the XRCD is the way to go. If you have the TOCJ CD, you may be able to save the $30. So for "Cool Struttin'" and "Soul Station", I am very happy. :)

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Kevin,

Since you are in dialogue with Mr. Cuscuna, do you know if Blue Note plans to reissue any more titles on the EMI label? Or is everything at a standstill due to EMI's financial woes?

I actually haven't heard anything from Michael Cuscuna in quite a while. However, given my last conversation, I would guess that there is very little in the pipeline right now. I have heard rumors that Michael may not even be working for Blue Note any more, but I haven't called him to ask. I'm actually afraid of the answer.

I think everything worthy of release in the Blue Note vaults was unearthed - there is no more. Anybody can produce resissues of titles already released in some form. That's a simple explanation.

And maybe he simply wants to slow down a bit and concentrate on some Mosaic projects ...

I just pulled the trigger on the Soul Station XRCD and the Moanin hybrid SACD, as I don't have any Japanese issues of either of these. I bought them (pre-ordered in the case of SS) from CD Pacific, so the total came to 44 even, with shipping included. I usually spend anywhere between 5 and 9 for new CDs, but I consider these two to be masterpieces so I think it will be worth it (the only versions I've heard are the 1999 U.S. RVGs). Looking forward to getting them.

I thought I saw somewhere that Workout will eventually be released in either of these formats (can't recall which one) at some point in 2010. If these two sound as good as the above comments indicate, then I will probably go for that one as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it's hilarious what just happened over on the Steve Hoffman forums. Someone who does publishing for a living commented that he felt the artwork, both the cover scans as well as the typography, could have been done better. After two days of pretty interesting comments wondering if Audio Wave was trying for something different and then today *poof*... all gone. Scrubbed for your benefit.

Joe, I hope you'll read this and maybe give us a comment. No matter how you slice it, poster deanswift58 had some very credible points, particularly about the quality of the cover scans, with actual pictures to highlight what he felt could have been done better. I didn't think it was that negative. In fact, it seemed like he was offering up his professional help, going so far as letting you know he'd do it for free. I really hope you didn't ask for that mass deletion.

Kevin

The cover / book design was not what I expected as well.

I have a couple older Japanese issued XRCDs that have that audiophile feel. I know it's just a placebo but the slick varnish gloss and half the pages dedicated to the format cheapened it a bit. Too bad some constructive crit got under the skin.

You are carrying on the lineage of Reid Miles as well here and it probably does not take much to make these beautiful.

I listened to the True Blue XRCD last night, the only thing I noticed was that the stereo separation seemed extreme (as of course was the case at the time)...and the other channel is so quiet during some sections that I have to make sure my speakers were working correctly...then Hubbard's trumpet solo kicked in and it scared the crap out of me.

LOL

I think it's hilarious what just happened over on the Steve Hoffman forums. Someone who does publishing for a living commented that he felt the artwork, both the cover scans as well as the typography, could have been done better. After two days of pretty interesting comments wondering if Audio Wave was trying for something different and then today *poof*... all gone. Scrubbed for your benefit.

Joe, I hope you'll read this and maybe give us a comment. No matter how you slice it, poster deanswift58 had some very credible points, particularly about the quality of the cover scans, with actual pictures to highlight what he felt could have been done better. I didn't think it was that negative. In fact, it seemed like he was offering up his professional help, going so far as letting you know he'd do it for free. I really hope you didn't ask for that mass deletion.

Kevin

Typical for the Hoffman forums. Also, deanswift58 has more talent and technical ability than the whole original team has in their big toes. If you had a chance to study his versions that he had a) up and b) offered to let them have for free (templates) you could study into how much detail he went to get the covers, tray inlets etc. right.

I hardly go over to the Hoffman forums anymore because that (constant) deleting of parts of threads, posts and whole topics is infuriating and confusing. There are too many spineless idiots on that forum who would probably have had a much more enjoyable time had they been born into the Russia under Stalin's rule. And then there are all the other idiots who don't listen to music but just stare at waveforms all day. Idiocy is totally rampant over there.

I hardly go over to the Hoffman forums anymore because that (constant) deleting of parts of threads, posts and whole topics is infuriating and confusing. There are too many spineless idiots on that forum who would probably have had a much more enjoyable time had they been born into the Russia under Stalin's rule. And then there are all the other idiots who don't listen to music but just stare at waveforms all day. Idiocy is totally rampant over there.

Not to defend the Hoffman site or anything, but it's not a more or less independent site where everyone can say (within reason) what they like; its main purpose is to promote Hoffman's interests in the music biz, and to protect his interests the moderators have set up an extensive and extremely strict book of rules. I think the moderation and some of the rules over there are over the top and I have told them so a few times - not that it made any difference, of course :)

Another thing I don't like over there (to put it mildly) is the extreme idolatry and sycophancy; it's not the exclusive domain of the Hoffman site, of course, but I find it sickening.

Edited by J.A.W.

Well, that thread is back up over there, minus a lot of posts.

Minus 4 days of posts! Two posts since it's gone back up asking what happened have disappeared too. Stalin-esque is a very apt descriptor of that place.

It's a big community over on SH, and some pretty knowledgeable folks post sometimes. But there's a lot of BS too. Aside from the whole Big Brother aspect, there are some really silly threads on occasion, stuff that looks like it belongs on the Onion except that people are apparently serious, e.g. long, multi-page threads with titles like "Kiss Destroyer: Weakest Link II" and stuff like that...

Edited by riverrat

It amazes me what they take seriously there sometimes.

I imagine this place looks odd from another viewpoint as well!

Jazz is sure a stepchild there, and "sound" is more important than "music."

But it takes a lot of different strokes to turn the big engine over.

Jazz is sure a stepchild there

What I find annoying is that some people over there who previously weren't interested seem to think they know all about jazz as soon as they've picked up a few Hoffman-mastered Analogue Productions/Blue Note SACDs. A few also seem to think Louis Armstrong's career started in the 1950s, while for others jazz begins in that decade...

Edited by J.A.W.

Jazz is sure a stepchild there

What I find annoying is that some people over there who previously weren't interested seem to think they know all about jazz as soon as they've picked up a few Hoffman-mastered Analogue Productions/Blue Note SACDs. A few also seem to think Louis Armstrong's career started in the 1950s, while for others jazz begins in that decade...

:lol:

Over at Elusive Disc, they have a Blue Note XRCD subscription program. When you sign up, you automatically receive two new discs each month for 12 months. Once you reach that point, the 25th disc is free. Kind of like having a punch card where you get your morning coffee. Sounds like an OK way to stay ahead of the curve, not to mention the bragging rights associated with being the first person on your block to get this classic music in an updated format. Here's a link:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AWMXR1SUB

Edited by Dave James