New Soul Station XRCD Blue Note - out now. Sounds great!

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hear new notes?

It's about music.

Yes, good to keep that in mind.

After much time wasted, I'm mostly off the up-grade-it-is train, despite my chiming into threads like this one. Been really enjoying my new headphones and tuning out with them after the munchkin is in bed and the chaos ramps down in the evening..

Anyone hear new notes?

It's about music.

It's about detail......like if ya watch 'Planet Earth' on Blu-Ray, the patchwork of sensory bumps covering the head of that 2-foot-long, water-dwelling, Japanese giant salamander are more clearly defined than what you can detect on that 'ol B&W RCA set you've been watching 'Rat Patrol' re-runs on down in the basement. ^_^

:crazy:

I have

TOCJ1610 - JOS trio + Lou Donaldson

TOCJ1612 - JOS - Cherokee

TOCJ1615 - JOS - Lonesome road

TOCJ1616 - Tina - Minor move

The only one with a credit is 1610, which says "tape transfers: Tony Sestanovich" - but it said that on the original LP - BN61013. But glad to get them out - got my breakfast music for tomorrow :)

There's another new Toshiba BN series now. I've got Grant Green's "Visions", which is TOCJ8586. Came out in September 2009. No mention of the mastering; nether the engineer nor the number of bits. Has a copyright date of 2009. I believe this has never been out on CD before, so it must be a new mastering, surely?

MG

Visions HAS been a TOCJ cd before. . . .

Hej Daniel :)

Have never heard of that.....I searched the web for some info about that and the only thing that came close is copied below from riverrat at audiokarma.com.

Generally I think at least the old TOCJs sound fuller in the bass than McMasters. It would be intersting to hear what titles that were compared;-)

/Shaft

Hej från en huvudstadsbo till en annan!

It seems I had perhaps overstated this issue, but I just learned from the person who did these comparsions that at least two 4xxx titles were identical with the McMasters, Art Blakey's 'Indestructible' and Staley Turrentine's 'Look Out'. As far as I know a bunch of 4xxx titles were tested but far from all, and there isn't (yet) an overview.

I have

The only one with a credit is 1610, which says "tape transfers: Tony Sestanovich" - but it said that on the original LP - BN61013. But glad to get them out - got my breakfast music for tomorrow :)

There's another new Toshiba BN series now. I've got Grant Green's "Visions", which is TOCJ8586. Came out in September 2009. No mention of the mastering; nether the engineer nor the number of bits. Has a copyright date of 2009. I believe this has never been out on CD before, so it must be a new mastering, surely?

MG

Oh - I never noticed that, and it's an album I'd have snapped up in a trice. When did it come out?

MG

I have

MG

Oh - I never noticed that, and it's an album I'd have snapped up in a trice. When did it come out?

MG

51OF%2BdApUHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by J.A.W.

I have

MG

MG

51OF%2BdApUHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Ah, that was before I was on the internet. Though I was making frequent trips to Mole Jazz and Tower in London then, so I'm surprised I didn't see it.

Thanks Hans.

MG

• 2 weeks later...

Hej Daniel :)

Have never heard of that.....I searched the web for some info about that and the only thing that came close is copied below from riverrat at audiokarma.com.

Generally I think at least the old TOCJs sound fuller in the bass than McMasters. It would be intersting to hear what titles that were compared;-)

/Shaft

Hej från en huvudstadsbo till en annan!

It seems I had perhaps overstated this issue, but I just learned from the person who did these comparsions that at least two 4xxx titles were identical with the McMasters, Art Blakey's 'Indestructible' and Staley Turrentine's 'Look Out'. As far as I know a bunch of 4xxx titles were tested but far from all, and there isn't (yet) an overview.

Hej Igen (Hello again)!

Interesting Daniel.

I do not have any of those titles in the old TOCJ-edition. "Look Out" I have in a mini-LP JRVG. (That is som good music by Mr T on that recording for sure!). Well it's cool anyway - it would be nice to have a real shootout sometime ;-) That is without chineese firecrackers :crazy:

/Shaft (Anders)

I know it's naive, and already mentioned above, but all CDs should be like this. I'd love to hear these four new ones.

But, I'm happy with the TOCJ of "Soul Sation", and all my (J)RVG's, and I'm certainly not going to fork out over 20 bucks to get any of these again.

I guess "SACD" never really took off. I've never heard of anyone who has a player for it. I have one SACD disk - the newest version of "Gil Evans Plus Ten", which I bought because it was the first ever stereo issue of that wonderful album. It plays well on my ordinary CD deck.

Re Michael Cuscuna/Blue Note/EMI, I hope the party isn't over, but the whole genre is getting a little old now, sad to say. We, here, love it, but how many young people even know about it?

I guess "SACD" never really took off. I've never heard of anyone who has a player for it. I have one SACD disk - the newest version of "Gil Evans Plus Ten", which I bought because it was the first ever stereo issue of that wonderful album. It plays well on my ordinary CD deck.

I have three SACD players myself, the best being the Sony SCD-XA5400ES, fantastic player, the next best a Decware modified Sony SCD-685 five disc changer universal player, the next a NAD model.

I love SACD. A handful of others talk about having machines here on this board.

• 1 year later...

I'd love to see the "hot jazz" on Blue Note reissued in this series ... and to hear Lift Every Voice in this series. I'd surrender to temptation then most likely. But mainly we have quintet and quartet dates and a safe sameness to the selections.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. It seems like the audiophile labels (and I'm glad they're around) really only cater to fans of hardbop. There's nothing wrong with that, but just imagine if the next 25 XRCDs had Art Hodes, John Hardee, Benny Morton, James P. Johnson, Cecil Taylor, Sam Rivers, Andrew Hill, Don Cherry and Ornette Coleman in the queue. I'd buy all of them without a blink. As it is, I haven't yet been able to muster one purchase from this series. I'm sure they're great, but the enthusiasm (for me) just isn't there.

I might be the only one too who just isn't into the whole "hardbound book" presentation.

I think I'll agree with my agreeing a year (plus) later ... and now leave this highly coded emoticon message:

:crazy::bwallace::unsure::w1076.gif

• 5 years later...