Prince Lasha - Insight

AmirBagachelles

There’s a mono copy of Insight on the wall of a Shoreditch record shop currently for sale for £69.99. I listened to it today on their downstairs turntable (after buying a dozen beigels at the nearby classic Beigel Bake) but concluded that it was crackling throughout and no better than my stereo copy. I have never come across a decent copy of this record. I wonder if the CD reissue was sourced from Prince Lasha’s tape and is worth tracking down. I love this record, it has a very strange vibe, what with the harp, Stan Tracey and Prince Lasha on top. 

Anthony

London

I have the Dusty Groove CD reissue. Nothing in the package says whether or not it's a needle-drop. The only notes are reproductions of the original liner notes. The only credits on the (new) tray card graphics are the musicians, no sound man or engineer.

So I suspect a needle-drop. I haven't listened for a while, will play it tonight and evaluate sound.

Sounds very good to me (no audiophile, though I listen on a decent system). If a needle-drop, they did a great job with it.

Edited by T.D.

6 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

They can do wonders with needle-drops today. The new Pharoah Sanders supposedly sounds amazing for example. Must be . . . A I. :)

Is that new Pharoah really a needle-drop? On the dedicated thread I saw "remastered" a couple of times, plus assertions that artists retained India Navigation masters.

But I haven't paid a lot of attention. I'm going for that release regardless. Got rid of the turntable long ago, so if needle-drop is the only option...