Welcome to the new forum!

Jim Alfredson

I do really enjoy the new look. That said, someone asked in an earlier post about the location feature which is now missing. I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but one of the cool things about this place is seeing the many different folks who post here from all around the globe. Any chance this will be revived at some future date?

Mind you, many people were giving fictional/humorous locations. I was even thinking of moving to Madchester! :rolleyes:

Having the same display problems described by others. It takes forever to load this particular thread, and Jim's posts leave a huge amount of space until the next reply.

I just had page 2 of the thread open and everything was nicely horizontally displayed. Then suddenly, it all switched to a vertical display with multiple posts superimposed over each other. Very weird.

Also, the information at the bottom of each page is jumbled over itself. For example, the response box in which I am now keying has the styles/fonts section running right through it. It's actually obscuring what I am keying right now as I am "typing underneath the styles and fonts section which appears to be overlayed on the reponse section. Hope I don't make any mistakes.

Edit - the style and fonts information bar is superimposed over much of what I wanted to edit - so I can't correct my awful keyboardsmanship. It's there for all the world to see.

Second edit - used the "full edit" option and the styles/fonts bar now obscures a different section and I was able to correct my mistakes. Excellent!

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Having the same display problems described by others. It takes forever to load this particular thread, and Jim's posts leave a huge amount of space until the next reply.

I just had page 2 of the thread open and everything was nicely horizontally displayed. Then suddenly, it all switched to a vertical display with multiple posts superimposed over each other. Very weird.

Also, the information at the bottom of each page is jumbled over itself. For example, the response box in which I am now keying has the styles/fonts section running right through it. It's actually obscuring what I am keying right now as I am "typing underneath the styles and fonts section which appears to be overlayed on the reponse section. Hope I don't make any mistakes.

Edit - the style and fonts information bar is superimposed over much of what I wanted to edit - so I can't correct my awful keyboardsmanship. It's there for all the world to see.

Second edit - used the "full edit" option and the styles/fonts bar now obscures a different section and I was able to correct my mistakes. Excellent!

Are you using IE7 or IE8, Ed?

I'm using 7 Hans

I'm using 7 Hans

Anyone know what the purpose of the Multiquote button is ? I tried clicking it and it and a pop up box indicated that I'd exceeded my daily quota ..... errrr.... really no idea what that meant.

Ok, so it's official - with Opera, there's no attachment function!

(I thought I was blind, but Niko confirmed it...)

That's not a biggie as I also have Firefox installed for worst cases (I have no MSIE but whenever I try to install the latest version, my computer tells me I have a newer version than that already installed...)

I'm using 7 Hans

I'm asking because IE seems to be the culprit here.

OK, let me chime in here for a second.

On my system I have various versions of various browsers installed (Internet Explorer, for example, even way back to version 4).

On all the later browsers, this forum runs perfectly. Not a single glitch (besides that quote thingie in older posts, which is obviously not browser-based).

Firefox (always with the latest build) is my main browser and is loaded to the brim with additional crap I think I need. ;) That makes Firefox the browser which usually has most problems when it comes to rendering pages (my fault).

All the other browsers I have I use for testing purposes (web pages) and they are installed out of the box (IE, Opera, Safari, ...). I haven't set, tweaked or adjusted anything whatsoever, simply because I only use them for a few minutes each month.

So, I do think - if I read this thread correctly - that some of the browser issues some users are experiencing here have sth to do with user settings, installed add-ons and whatnot.

To check, I ran this board on three absolutely clean installs of IE 7 and IE 8 at work today and I couldn't find a single problem. Mind you, for each clean install, all the necessray flash, shockwave, etc. plug-ins are/were up-to-date.

So, I guess those who do have problems viewing the board should perhaps have a look at their various settings in their own browser. I'm almost sure sth is conflicting there.

If you look at Invision's code, it is pretty clean and should be as compatible as possible with the latest generation browsers!

Edited by neveronfriday

OK, let me chime in here for a second.

just curious... can you add attachments to posts in browsers other than IE?

It works, but not in this part of the forum! Try a "full" reply in another section and you'll get the "add attachment" buttons and all - at least with latest Opera! :party:

Btw, glad the emoticons are still the same ones! :tup

hm, the upload buttons for attachments appear, but uploads fail... weird!

What forum are you trying to upload into? This is the announcements forum and nobody can start topics or upload here except for me. And what error are you getting? It's possible the permissions are not set correctly for the upload folder.

neveronfriday's post is reassuring. Most of these display issues are probably at the user end. I remember when somehow an installation of Flash got messed up in my install of Firefox and it screwed up a lot of websites. I had to completely uninstall Firefox and re-install to fix the problem. IE was fine and Flash installed perfectly. These things can be frustrating I know but I urge everyone to update to the latest version of their browser and flash/shockwave.

I just tried to attach something and got an error, too. I bet the permissions are not set right for the uploads folder. I'll get on it.

hm, the upload buttons for attachments appear, but uploads fail... weird!

What forum are you trying to upload into? This is the announcements forum and nobody can start topics or upload here except for me. And what error are you getting? It's possible the permissions are not set correctly for the upload folder.

(...)

I just tried to attach something and got an error, too. I bet the permissions are not set right for the uploads folder. I'll get on it.

I just managed to attach an image - same one in the same thread that didn't work:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=56428&st=0&gopid=984677&#entry984677

I got a very unspecific error message (just "upload failed" or something similar) before.

So with this solved, all looks fine on the latest version of Opera! :tup