Happy Birthday Barry Harris

Michael Weiss

Barry! don't get to see him much these days, though we were pretty friendly in the late 1970s; I wrote the first article on him that ever appeared in Downbeat. Great man, great musician. (and I still fondly remember the days when he played a duo at Jimmy's with Wilbur Little; I'd sit all night and order a glass of water; the bartender was completely indifferent; Barry later told me it was a great gig, the only one he ever had where he could collect unemployment after it was over) -

Edited by AllenLowe

I was at the first concert he did at Symphony Space, many years ago (maybe 1979?) - he had Tommy Turrentine and Lonnie Hiller playing a duet on a beautiful slow version of Star Eyes. He also, as I recall, brought Chris Anderson on-stage - as a matter of fact, somewhere I have a note Barry sent me after that concert (I'd helped him do some promo). Those were interesting days; NY was much different -

is he still doing those concerts?

found the note: (next post):

Edited by AllenLowe

Happy Birthday, Barry Harris! One of my all-time favorite jazz legends/heroes. Besides the Vanguard, I've heard Barry live at Bradley's, JCT, Mark Morganelli's Jazz Forum and many other places in NYC. Live in Tokyo - the trio recording - one of my all-time favorite BH recordings.

Michael - GREAT photo; thanks for sharing!

Marla

One of my fondest musical memories was the time I went to see Barry in New York at The Angry Squire, a club on Seventh Ave and 23rd Street.

The music was fabulous. Both sets. After the music was over, as we were all walking out I became aware of the woman in front of me, heading for the door. Short in stature, with long dark hair flowing over her shoulders and a mink coat that touched the floor.

The front door opened and there was a silver Bentley double parked in front of the club with the rear door open. As she climbed into the back seat and the driver closed the door and pulled away I realized that I had been walking out behind The Baroness, Pannonica!

Barry also played the Angry Squire right after Monk died, and did an amazing night of all Monk tunes -

he was a frequent booking there in the late 1970s. One night I brought Percy France down, as I wanted him to sit in, and thought he and Barry would be a good match. The opportunity, unfortunately, did not present itself. Would have been quite interesting.

it's beautiful to see that so many folks here have so many sweet memories of Barry. i remember first seeing him playing solo piano in the window of a bar called "Junior's" (i think). it was in the early to mid-60's on West 47th Street in the theatre district and was actually a theatre hang-out. i'm happy to say that i've lost count of all the times i've heard Barry play, most recently a couple of times this year in NY. as has been mentioned, he's not only a gifted musician but a humanitarian as well. i know of so many generous and heart-felt things he has done for folks, especially fellow jazz musicians. blessings to Barry, always.