Instrumentalists Vocalizing

paul secor

• 1 month later...

I listened to Morning Fun, a CD by Zoot Sims and Bob Brookmeyer yesterday, and Zoot sings "I Can't Get Started" on it. I tried to think of other instrumentalists who've sung on recordings and off the top of my head came up with Pres' "Two To Tango", Jimmy Rowles on The Peacocks, Archie Shepp, and Albert Ayler. There are always the usual suspects, mostly trumpeters (Louis, Clark Terry, Diz, K.D., Doc Cheatham, Lips Page), or pianists who sang along with their playing (Fats Waller, Jelly Roll, Jay McShann, and others), and a host of pianists who grunted along with their playing. Any others that anyone can add? There must be a lot that I and others have never heard.

Red Mitchell on The Helen Merrill cd

Clear out of this world.

lot's of fun.

• 2 months later...

Someone surely mentioned these already but I don't feel like backtracking. I love Roland Kirk singing through his flute on "Ain't No Sunshine" as well as the barely audible grunts by Bud Powell, Lonnie Smith and espacially Bobby Timmons on "Melanie" (from Kenny Dorham Matador).

Edited by Brandon Burke

Milt Jackson sang Time on My Hands in one of the Savoy sessions, early 50s. Quote from the liner notes, "Milt always had a yen to be a ballad singer."

With all respect, I find Milt Jackson's vocals unbearable. Wide vibrato and doubtful intonation. Not a trained voice.

I'd really like to hear Kenny Burrell's vocal album; I once saw a Japanese pressing, but way too expensive for me.

Has anybody mentioned Kenny Dorham's Riverside album with vocals, This Is The Moment?

Milt Jackson sang Time on My Hands in one of the Savoy sessions, early 50s. Quote from the liner notes, "Milt always had a yen to be a ballad singer."

With all respect, I find Milt Jackson's vocals unbearable. Wide vibrato and doubtful intonation. Not a trained voice.

I'd really like to hear Kenny Burrell's vocal album; I once saw a Japanese pressing, but way too expensive for me.

Has anybody mentioned Kenny Dorham's Riverside album with vocals, This Is The Moment?

Mike, that 'Weaver of Dreams' album was reissued as a LP a few years ago in the USA and was available (and should still be) available at a pretty reasonable price. Was interested in that album for Bobby Jaspar's participation in it. Hearing Burrell sing was a very agreable experience.

Agree about Milt Jackson. His singing was an embarassment. There's a 'Milt Jackson Sings' recorded in Italy in 1964 and released there. That one was bad in

the true sense of the word.

Paul Secor mentioned K.D.'s singing in his opening post. Nice album for fans of KD that Riverside album.