"View new content" feature

Larry Kart

I may be mistaken, but the View New Content link should just provide you a list of the topics that have received new comments since your last visit. Meaning it will vary in size depending on how much activity there's been since you last came to the O board.

The "Today's Active Content" link near the bottom of the page is similar to the old board's feature, and seems to pull up a list of all the threads that have had activity in the past 24 hours or so. If I'm understanding it right.

I may be mistaken, but the View New Content link should just provide you a list of the topics that have received new comments since your last visit. Meaning it will vary in size depending on how much activity there's been since you last came to the O board.

See post #145 in the other thread.

The "Today's Active Content" link near the bottom of the page is similar to the old board's feature, and seems to pull up a list of all the threads that have had activity in the past 24 hours or so. If I'm understanding it right.

I think it's very similar to the old "Today's Active Topics" on the old board. Just like there, you can use a pull down menu (marked as "Active in the last...") to get older topics.

While we're making suggestions...

Another forum I frequent features a couple really handy search buttons, one for "View Your Posts" (every thread the viewer has posted in) and another for "View Your Topics" (every thread the viewer started).

While we're making suggestions...

Another forum I frequent features a couple really handy search buttons, one for "View Your Posts" (every thread the viewer has posted in) and another for "View Your Topics" (every thread the viewer started).

On your profile page there are Find Posts and Find Topics links that do that...

Hmm... I've noticed that whenever I click on the "View New Content" link, I'm taken to a full page of the latest active topics, AND, at the top of the page: New content: There are 35198 new entries... 1408 pages ...the entire history of the board, as it turns out.

I guess this is the result of choosing "show me all topics that I haven't read", as opposed to choosing "show me all topics since my last visit", under board settings. An omnipresent "Active Topics" link would be preferable, I think, to a "New Content" link, but it doesn't really matter that much to me. Everything's there, so I can browse backward like I always have.

I also have to figure out if its worth my trouble to put the Amazon / CDUniverse search boxes back in.

I'm thinking of getting another External hard drive from Amazon UK, if that's any help.

(Gotta say, most of what I buy from Amazon is from sellers, which is no good to you, I think.)

MG

• 2 weeks later...

Jim activated that feature back on Dec 20th (see here).

I'm not sure what purpose it really serves though.

It can be easily manipulated; by voting on different posts by the same member you can vote that member's reputation "up" or "down" multiple times, so if you don't like a certain member, you know what to do... :wacko:

Just noticed that my reputation has suddenly leapt from -4 to 0 :blink:

It can be easily manipulated; by voting on different posts by the same member you can vote that member's reputation "up" or "down" multiple times, so if you don't like a certain member, you know what to do... :wacko:

But because of that ability, the meaning of the votes are lost. I'm not sure there's really a good reason for voting on another poster in the first place.

I can see where a person who doesn't like another person would simply vote against them for real reason. Especially some of the more controversial, outspoken members.

But because of that ability, the meaning of the votes are lost. I'm not sure there's really a good reason for voting on another poster in the first place.

I can see where a person who doesn't like another person would simply vote against them for real reason. Especially some of the more controversial, outspoken members.

That's exactly what I meant, and I think the feature should be disabled because of what can be done with it - but hey, that's just me :)

Jim told me he had enabled it at the request of a few members.

Edited by J.A.W.