Wadada Leo Smith -- Musician of the year

Lazaro Vega

With the release of the album "America" featuring duets with Jack DeJohnette, the double CD "Spiritual Dimensions" with his Golden Quintet and electric band Organic, then appearing as guest with British musicians on the album called "Abbey Road Quartet" and the re-issue of both "Spirit Catcher" and "Procession of the Great Ancestory" on Nessa, all in 2009, trumpeter Wadada Leo Smith takes the prize as musician of the year. All of these recordings will be heard tonight "Out on Blue Lake." From midnight until 1 a.m. Thursday morning. Jazz From Blue Lake otherwise features Clark Terry from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. via http://www.bluelake.org/radio. Hope you can join us, Lazaro Vega

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Lazaro, glad to hear you had many listeners to your show. Timing didn't work for me in the UK.

But I'm right there with you about the fantastic output from Wadada Leo Smith this year (and previously) having purchased each of the albums you mention. Just listening to 'Angela Davis' from Spiritual Dimensions - a track that says it all as far as I'm concerned - genius.

• 4 months later...

I was at the 'Freedom of the City' festival in London yesterday, where Wadada was a guest performer.

His trio with Louis Moholo-Moholo and Steve Noble was quite honestly some of the most incredible I've ever heard. This was the first time I'd heard Wadada live, and though I've read things about this, I'm not sure ANYTHING prepares you for that *sound* live. A truly amazing performance, and Louis and Steve, both of whom I have the privilege of working with, were perfect partners in the trio. I really hope this gets broadcast in some way - certainly it was being recorded for the BBC...