What's your burger?

A burger thread on another forum got enthusiastic participation. How do you like your burgers? How often do you eat them? Homemade or favorite provider? Etc.

Inspired by that thread, I made myself a burger last night. I got ground beef from the butcher, some American-style bacon from the local supermarket (sometimes they have it); fried the bacon, fried the burgers in the bacon grease. On top, added comté cheese and strips of bacon. A dollop of ketchup and I was away. It was extremely satisfying.

Recount your burger story here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't make them at home. I eat them out, once or twice a month. Sometimes less.

I do like bacon cheeseburgers with cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo or mustard (or both). A local eatery also makes one with strips of sauteed poblano pepperand onions on top, with monterey jack cheese, lettuce and tomato and "chipolte" mayo. Like that one a lot.

I'll eat a burger about once a month. Nothing fancy: lean ground beef (well done), lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, and A1 steak sauce (no mustard or ketchup).

I know that the "well-done" part is blasephy to some. The only time my late father-in-law was disappointed with me was when I ordered a steak well-done - in Nebraska!

Grilled, usually with only salt & pepper. Sometimes I like to put some blue cheese or gorgonzola inside the burger before cooking.

As far as dressing, I like lettuce, tomato, grilled onions and a toasted bun. Sometimes avacado.

As far as favorite restaurant burgers- Steak & Shake, In & Out, Wendy's, Red Robin, the Squeeze Inn in Sacramento and Fuddrucker's.

I remember a great place for burgers in Austin on Guadalupe called G&M Steakhouse. Anyone know if it's still there?

As long as there's a good beer to go with it, I'm not too picky. I usually like to keep things pretty simple (although I do enjoy a good avocado burger). Grilled medium-well, hold the pickles, and other than that I'll be pretty happy with whatever you put in front of me.

How often? I dunno... all I know is that I want one right now. :)

I think the best burgers I've had in recent years were at Rosie's Cafe (Tahoe City) and R.G. Burgers (Monterrey).

I'm always partial to an avacado bacon swiss burger with lettuce, tomato, mayo, and mustard.

If I roll to In-N-Out Burger I go with the Double Double "animal style," with pickles, grilled onions, regular onions, and extra spread.

Another great burger joint is Tommy's, where I get the double chili cheeseburger with the works.

Fuddrucker's is a fine burger, Free. I go there every once in a blue moon.

Islands makes a huge burger with a lot of different styles that are all good. I recommend the Volcano burger, it's got jalepenos cooked right into the burger with pepper jack and these deep fried red onions. They've got this other chicken sammich called the California Flyer that I've been getting because it's ridiculously good.

I usually season with salt, pepper, and worcestershire sauce in the burger before grilling. I also find any burger leaner than 85% is too dry. Lately I have been seasoning with salt, pepper and a little cayenne pepper and then using habernero jack cheese on top, not as hot as it sounds but really delicious. Lastly, I like to use a slice of American cheese topped with a little cheddar (when not using habernero jack) makes a visually appealing burger.

I have only recently discovered Siracha sauce (great on veggie wraps and chicken veggie wraps or on eggs), haven't tried it on a burger yet, only a matter of time.

Never cared much for burgers, but would walk miles (and did and still does) to get those...

3SECCO.JPG

from the Secco bakery in the 7th Arrondissement of Paris :) . Awesome place which was formerly the Boulangerie Poujauran. Jean-Luc Poujauran caters nowadays only to many of the best Parisian restaurants!