Chicago hardbop

ghost of miles

A guy who I'm pretty sure came to Chicago after the city's hardbop era but who spent a lot of time there, was a significant figure on the scene, and who certainly fits in stylistically would be tenorman Lynn Halliday, whose at times erratic but at best striking work can be found on several Delmark albums.

Delmark just put out this CD:

468.gif

Any thoughts about it?

A guy who I'm pretty sure came to Chicago after the city's hardbop era but who spent a lot of time there, was a significant figure on the scene, and who certainly fits in stylistically would be tenorman Lynn Halliday, whose at times erratic but at best striking work can be found on several Delmark albums.

Delmark just put out this CD:

468.gif

Any thoughts about it?

Haven't heard it yet--it came the other day as part of a Delmark package. I'll definitely post something as soon as I give it a listen.

John Jenkins

Charles Davis

I've lived on Chicago's south side for only 21 years, and regularly play with a few oldtimers. Tenor saxophonist/vocalist Johnnie Henderson tells me stories about playing in an early Sun Ra Arkestra alongside Eddie Harris in the late '50s. At that time Phil Cohran was the trumpeter, after Art Hoyle. There is now a school at 51st St. between Cottage Grove and King Drive named after Capt. Walter Dyett, who taught many of these musicians at DuSable High School. Capt. Dyett might be the common link to the "Chicago Sound" from Nat "King" Cole through the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Has anyone else here heard the guitarist Larry Frazier? I first met him right before a paid gig with Johnnie Henderson's big band 3 years ago. He taught me much in a few hours. Larry is proud to never have had a "day job" for 50+ years, and is probably best known for working with Jimmy McGriff in the '60s.

I have an obscure 1983 album on the Beehive label, named after the famous jazz club torn down for the University of Chicago's "urban renewal" (3 blocks away from my house). It's called "Hyde Park After Dark" with Von Freeman, Cy Touff, Clifford Jordan, Victor Sproles, Norman Simmons, and Wilbur Campbell. This is my definition of Chicago hard bop. The Beehive was where Thelonious Monk first met Johnny Griffin and Wilbur Ware in 1955.

Kudos to those who mentioned John Young, George Freeman, Jimmy Ellis, Willie Pickens, Jodie Christian, and Wilbur Campbell.

Hard Bop is alive and well in Chicago, with bassist Larry Gray and drummer Robert Shy getting most of the high profile gigs when a famous musician needs a local rhythm section here.

For those who don't mind me going past the time period mentioned by the OP, I've gotta mention trumpeter Corey Wilkes, saxophonists Edward Wilkerson and Ernest Dawkins, and Von Freeman's jam sessions at the New Apartment Lounge. Hard bop in Chicago lives!

• 2 weeks later...

Duke Payne was a very good tenor player, played bagpipes too. He did a record with Eldee Young.

Damn right! He was also in Odell Brown and the Organizers.

Which Eldee Young album is he on?

MG

I recall the JRM selling it in the mid 80's. I believe it was self-produced and a live recording(I have a foggy memory). Eldee's quartet also had Ari Brown in it. They used to play regularly at the Backroom on Rush St. I can't recall the drummer.

I love this board for this sort of random reference. I have a 45 by Duke Payne called "The Bottom" which features some of his bagpipe stuff, and I have an Odell Brown & The Organizers joint, but never made the connection. I'd like to hear the Eldee Young...

• 3 weeks later...

while researching the Gene Ammons - AACM connection :-) i stumbled across the following statement by Ari Brown:

"The next number, "Richard's Tune" was written by Ari in the 70s and was once recorded by the late Chicago Sax man , Gene Ammons. Ari shared the story that he heard this tune on the radio under a different title and needless to say had to legally remedy the situation. "

Brown's recording can be heard here:

http://www.lastfm.de/music/Ari+Brown/_/Richard%27s+Tune?autostart

can any Gene Ammons expert here (or anyone else) tell me where Ammons recorded it?

i did some searching - it doesn't look like Ammons redorded it under this title; maybe it's in the liner notes to Brown's cd (Live at the Green Mill) or Don Moye's Jam for your Life (which also has a recording of it)

thank you!

Edited by Niko

while researching the Gene Ammons - AACM connection :-) i stumbled across the following statement by Ari Brown:

"The next number, "Richard's Tune" was written by Ari in the 70s and was once recorded by the late Chicago Sax man , Gene Ammons. Ari shared the story that he heard this tune on the radio under a different title and needless to say had to legally remedy the situation. "

can any Gene Ammons expert here (or anyone else) tell me where Ammons recorded it?

i did some searching - it doesn't look like Ammons redorded it under this title; maybe it's in the liner notes to Brown's cd (Live at the Green Mill) or Don Moye's Jam for your Life (which also has a recording of it)

thank you!

That is one DAMN FINE player! Thanks Niko. I must get that CD.

I've never heard the tune before, so far as I can recall, and I've got most of Jug's recordings.

MG

thank you!

That is one DAMN FINE player! Thanks Niko. I must get that CD.

I've never heard the tune before, so far as I can recall, and I've got most of Jug's recordings.

MG

thanks! had hoped you'd chime in and i'm glad you liked it! strange... this is not the type of story someone makes up - and if Brown heard it on the radio, it can't have been that obscure...

• 2 weeks later...

Trumpeters Willie Thomas and Paul Serrano, alto saxophonists John Jenkins and Bunky Green, pianists John Young and Chris Anderson.

Serrano's album Blues Holiday is lovely, and you get four Chicagoans for the price of one - Bunky Green, Jodie Christian and Don Garrett too.

Thanks for the rec on BLUES HOLIDAY--excellent album. :tup I'll be using at least two tracks in the sequel show, which will probably air in early-to-mid May.

• 8 months later...

Saw Mike Reed's People, Places and Things at the Bishop last night in Bloomington and got a chance to talk with both Reed and saxophonist Greg Ward afterwards. Looking back over this thread, I realized that I never posted the sequel to the Night Lights show:

Returning the Call: More From the Unsung Heroes of Chicago Hardbop