Jim Alfredson: "In Memorandom"

CJ Shearn

Well, Jim sent out all the preorders and "In Memorandom" may be the most personal music Jim has yet created. It's all synths, which may be a red flag for some here, some prepared piano and drum machines, but what's remarkable about the record is the gamut of influences it possesses. Jim has influences on the record from Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Genesis, Brian Eno, Pharoah Sanders, Coltrane, Joe Zawinul, Herbie Hancock, video game music but filters it through his own lens of musical experience. The dynamic range on the disc soundwise is incredible, it's a headphone record, with tons of lush, mostly improvised synth textures, and upper voicings, found on pieces like "Psyche". The relative quiet of "Silo" is startingly, brilliantly offset by the gated percussive thwack of "Oddball". Overall, its very good music and while copies remain, check it out.

Just beautiful.

If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that VGM was a worldwide smash dancehall track.

I am really touched by the beauty and the detail of this music. So much soul, feeling, emotion. I'm not at all familiar with synth music, but this album gives me a new ear. Total immersion of sound. Thank you Jim!

I dare you to keep still during Khalimba!!!

You are brilliant.

Samples are on the Big O Records site: http://www.big-o-records.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20

I'm touched that people are enjoying the album. I originally planned to just make some CD-Rs for my family, since this is a very personal project. But some friends convinced me to go the distance on this one and I think it was the right move. I'll be curious if y'all have any favorite tracks.

I've considered writing a short essay explaining the impetus behind each tune but I'm afraid that might take away from personal interpretations.

Just placed my order. Not missing this one.

Jim, this is why you are my hero. You *do* this kind of stuff, instead of just thinking about it (like me). Plus, you have the cajones and the drive to do this (in addition to your Organissimo and Root Doctor gigs) all the while running a house full of women in a state with probably the worst economy in the nation right now. What makes you that much more heroic to me is that you don't waste any time worrying: you just keep on going. I wish I had that ability.

Having never met your father, I'd like to think (however presumtuous this may be) that he's very proud of you.

Thanks, Al. I appreciate your comments. I honestly don't know what I'm thinking sometimes; I just do these things because I have to. Its the way I am. I use to spend hours upon hours under headphones creating music instead of chasing after girls, studying, hanging with friends (or my family), etc. Thankfully school came easy to me and I rarely had to study until I got to college and by then I didn't give a shit anymore and just wanted to play music. So that's what I'm doing, come hell or highwater! :)

It can be hard and sometimes I question whether I'm doing the right thing, especially on a day like today when my wife starts crying because we're flat broke. But hey... as my dad always said, "The Lord will provide". I don't necessarily believe in "the Lord" as he did, but I do believe that positive thoughts bequeath positive actions and things will work out for the best. Somehow there was always food on the table when I was a kid. And sure enough, today I picked up $180 worth of piano work and got another two calls requesting tunings next week. The Lord will provide, indeed.

As for this project, I am thankful for having people around me that believe in what I'm doing including my wife and friends. I was not going to release this "commercially", but some good friends convinced me to do so and I'm happy I did. This is the tip of the iceberg. :)

I have a lot of ideas for projects, some suggested by good friends; a solo organ record, an all-improvised extremely mellow ambient jazz record (with synths galore), organissimo with horns, organissimo with a vocalist, a John Patton tribute record, a prog record, a bluesy / Americana record of my own songs (with lyrics and me singing), a recording of works for 16-piece mixed choir, another electronic record that also has "real" instruments (such as a choir!), etc. The great thing about music is that it never ends!

This project was sort of a "test piece" to see if I had support to make these kinds of jumps stylistically. I made enough money to pay for the duplication; that's all I can ask for. That means I can keep going. :) So thanks to everyone who bought the disc!

I will buy every single one of the records you just listed. Lifetime subscriber. I love listening to you play for organissimo and this synth recording just made me realize how personal your concept is. Be you. I'm listening, and looking forward to hearing your concept expand.

I don't know why I don't have the Root Doctor stuff.

In Memorandom is a fine balance of ambient sounds, keyboard textures, and percussive elements. Thoroughly enjoyable start to finish.

"Khimbala" reminds me of Tempo '70 "El Galleton" which is on the Ubiquity compilation called Bag Of Goodies. Unfortunately I couldn't find a proper audio file on line for reference, but it's a jazz funk song with a similar electric keyboard refrain. What's weird is there is a salsa song by the same group, same title which makes me wonder if Ubiquity didn't title something wrong on emusic...

I have a lot of ideas for projects, some suggested by good friends; a solo organ record, an all-improvised extremely mellow ambient jazz record (with synths galore), organissimo with horns, organissimo with a vocalist, a John Patton tribute record, a prog record, a bluesy / Americana record of my own songs (with lyrics and me singing), a recording of works for 16-piece mixed choir, another electronic record that also has "real" instruments (such as a choir!), etc. The great thing about music is that it never ends!

This project was sort of a "test piece" to see if I had support to make these kinds of jumps stylistically. I made enough money to pay for the duplication; that's all I can ask for. That means I can keep going. :) So thanks to everyone who bought the disc!

Jim - Have you looked into the Artist Share route? I would think you could get a few of us here to sponsor you.

Kevin

I'll be curious if y'all have any favorite tracks.

After several listens, there are two tracks that I really, really like: "Silo" & "Certainty Within." Mind you, narrowing it down to even two was pretty tough. Lots of great stuff Jim! I love the dark tension of "Silo" and in contrast, I dig the bright hopefulness of "Certainty Within."

I was intrigued from the get go when I read this was going to be in memorandum by using electronics. For the past 9 years I've been going through watching my Mom deteriorate from Alzheimer's, and about 5 years ago I realized that the person I used to enjoy talking to had died and there wasn't any funeral. Something that helped during this process was Robert Fripp's A Blessing Of Tears and The Gates Of Paradise. Both were dedicated to his mother, in fact the former includes his eulogy. The music is about both grief and the latter a representation of the soul in the afterlife. While I'm not religious nor has my mother physically died, the recordings (especially Gates Of Paradise) have been incredibly powerful & cathartic in dealing with it all.

So that was a long way of saying I've found electronic music to be highly expressive to handle such deep emotions. Luckily posts above ensure that people understand this isn't some funeral dirge or a bunch of heavenly swashes, far from it. "Random memories from childhood" are definitely in the mix which allow the listener to imagine what went on in your household growing up. Oddball. ;):)

I hope perhaps on my 3rd time around I'll get to listen to it without interruption, but it succeeds in drawing me right back in. I congratulate you and thank you for expanding your musical boundaries as I love what you've done here. As suggested above I look forward to putting on the headphones as there is such attention to detail. Well done!

I'm glad it arrived here today - just in time for Christmas! 

# 12 out of 100 copies - I feel priviliged. It's like a Christmas gift to me, even though I paid for it ...

On first listen I like it a lot, the tracks without drum machine even better. My wife thinks some tracks sound like those synth new age CDs she use for therapy, but I tell her it's the approach that's different, and we started arguing in no time ... This Cd was not made for the purpose of being used like one of those other synth CDs, it's just music ... an more.

Thanks a lot, Jim, for sharing this, and merry Christmas and all the best to you and your family!