Aggie87

Well, we saw it today.

I liked it just fine. I don't know why people are complaining about the story. You can pretty much tell from the previews that it's going to be a Battle For Terra/Dances With Wolves type of thing, and besides, what the hell do people expect from Cameron? Deathless dialog and surprising plot twists? Ain't gonna happen. It looked good, it was entertaining, the flora and fauna of Pandora was fascinating, it didn't bore me. A good time.

Although one of my kids said it was too long... And they both want to see it again in 2-D. One of them said the 3-D was unnecessary and he perceived a slight flicker for the first 20 minutes or so. (This didn't happen to me, thank God.) So we'll probably be seeing it again sometime.

Edited by BruceH

Saw it.

Liked it, without getting that excited.

A few days later caught 9, which also deals with SF/Fantasy themes but in a whole different way..

My, my - much better!

Creepy, grim, bleak, groovy in a sort Gormenghastian/Perdido Street Station way. :tup

Do you mean "District 9"? If so I agree. I liked Avatar and had a good time but in some ways (even technically) was more impressed with District 9.

Saw it.

Liked it, without getting that excited.

A few days later caught 9, which also deals with SF/Fantasy themes but in a whole different way..

My, my - much better!

Creepy, grim, bleak, groovy in a sort Gormenghastian/Perdido Street Station way. :tup

Do you mean "District 9"? If so I agree. I liked Avatar and had a good time but in some ways (even technically) was more impressed with District 9.

No, I mean this one:

http://www.madman.com.au/9/

Saw it tonight in 3D IMax. Pretty cool. The way some of the images seem to be hanging about three feet in front of your face is a very neat effect. I thought the story was fine, if predictable. I like movies with decent villians and while the army commander in Avatar doesn't rise to the level of Alan Rickman in Die Hard or Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men, it's still enjoyable when he gets what's coming to him. All things considered, very entertaining.

Saw this last night in Imax 3D. All I can say is Wow! Story is not original as some have noted but it is beautifully conceived and executed. Simply amazing movie.

They also showed coming attractions for Cinderella in 3D. That also looks amazing.

We saw in this afternoon in 3D. I was thoroughly impressed with the cinematography, the imaginative creatures, and the wonder of the planet Pandora. I agree that the story is a familiar one, but I didn't have a problem with that. At 2 hours and 40 minutes, it held my attention throughout, even if my butt started to hurt a bit at around the 2 hour mark. I'm always a little apprehensive when there are a lot of kids at a show, but I have to say that this film was spellbinding enough that they kept quiet.

Hey all -

What's better, regular 3D or IMAX 3D? My gf and I are going but I don't know which to pick.

Guy

Regular 3D is good enough for most purposes, but if you don't mind the extra monetary outlay, IMAX will give you a total-immersion experience that's quite nice. I'm kind of tempted to see it again in IMAX, actually, and I don't usually do that.

They also showed coming attractions for Cinderella in 3D. That also looks amazing.

Do you mean Alice in Wonderland? We saw the previews for that when we went to Avatar. I am not aware of a 3D version of Cinderella though - re-release or new version.

For what it's worth, I agree with most of the previous reviews - the plot is unremarkable, but not enough to ruin what is truly an amazing visual experience. I still wonder whether a better script and director (Ridley Scott? Peter Jackson?) could have improved it.

Given that Avatar was better than Scott and Jackson's last couple of flicks, I wouldn't be so sure about that!

Hey all -

What's better, regular 3D or IMAX 3D? My gf and I are going but I don't know which to pick.

Guy

Regular 3D is good enough for most purposes, but if you don't mind the extra monetary outlay, IMAX will give you a total-immersion experience that's quite nice. I'm kind of tempted to see it again in IMAX, actually, and I don't usually do that.

Kinda depends on whether you prefer the larger, but squarer Imax screen or the wider non-Imax 3D screen. Avatar is released in two very different aspect ratios depending on how/where you see it.

I wasn't aware that there's a different aspect-ratio for the two, though that makes perfect sense.

One thing I don't like about IMAX is that it sometimes seems more like a theme-park ride to me than seeing a movie. But for some movies it works well. The experience can be either pleasurably immersive or bludgeoning.