Night Lights: "Hep to the Holidays"

ghost of miles

This week's Night Lights show, the annual Christmas extravaganza, now up for online listening:

Hep To The Holidays

...includes poet Sascha Feinstein reading "Christmas Eve," a poem about the legendary 1954 Miles Davis-Thelonious Monk recording session, Bob Brookmeyer's "Santa Claus Blues," Horace Silver and Andy Bey's recording of "Peace," and much more. Plus, check out the program page for a Night Lights holiday outtake--hipster comedian Lord Buckley performing his take on Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."

Happy holidays, all.

Edited by ghost of miles

This week's Night Lights show, the annual Christmas extravaganza, now up for online listening:

Hep to the Holidays

...includes poet Sascha Feinstein reading "Christmas Eve," a poem about the legendary 1954 Miles Davis-Thelonious Monk recording session, Bob Brookmeyer's "Santa Claus Blues," Horace Silver and Andy Bey's recording of "Peace," and much more. Plus, check out the program page for a Night Lights holiday outtake--hipster comedian Lord Buckley performing his take on Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."

Happy holidays, all.

Nice show! Was pleasantly surprised to hear an unmistakable Harold Land solo on the Shorty Rogers track. I don't recall hearing him in a Shorty Rogers outfit before. Loved the Sascha Feinstein poem too - the "noises off" on that 1954 session have always fascinated me!

Bill, thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I became friends with Sascha when he was doing grad work here in Bloomington during the 1990s--actually met him right around the time I got jazz religion. That poem was originally published by a bookstore (long gone) here in B-town, and Sascha was gracious enough to do a recording of it for the Night Lights show. He publishes a very good jazz journal, Brilliant Corners, and has written or edited several anthologies of jazz poetry and fiction.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...