i'm still alive

look, anybody who can make fun of Kind of Blues is all right with me - just to let you know that the rules have changed a LOT here since you left. From now on, all underwear must be changed THREE TIMES a day. And every year at Xmas we must pay tithe to the moderators; that or send them a first born.

glad to see you -

Randy, I came to this thread late and am saddened to hear what you have been going through. The fact that you are making it back is a Christmas present we all can enjoy. Yes, I always relished the clips you came up with, but it is the personality behind that effort I really missed. May 2010 prove to be a giant step to normalcy. Welcome back!

• 6 months later...

I don't know if anyone around here remembers me. I used to be pretty active around here until I had a stroke in Febuary of this year. It left me paralyzed on my left side and caused me to spend severals months in hospitals and rehabilitation centers. On top of that I had major computer problems which took me a few months to fix. All in all a major bummer that caused me to spend most of my time watching TV and feeling sorry for myself. The computer problems have been fixed so I decided to try to rejoin the land of the living and try typing with my right hand. This is my maiden effort and since it's Christmas eve I thought itwould be a good time to check in here and let some of you know that I haven't given up my interest in jazz and reading all the opinions that are expressed in this corner of the Net.

After I posted the above post my computer problems didn't entirely end, so I didn't get to see all the kind and generous replies that followed until a few days ago. I was upset with my self for not acknowledging all the people who were nice enough to reply to me in December, so I thought it would do that now so that's what I'm doing with this message. It meant a lot to me to read the messages from so many people and also for letting me remind people to take care of their health and not ignore the warning signs of high blood pressure like I did. Before I got sick I thought I was in the best shape of my life. I was running 30 miles a week and eating lots of fruits and drinking bottled water and gatorade instead of soda and beer. I had lost a fair amount of weight when I was in my late 20's and in my early 50's I was feeling on top of the world. The only thing I couldn't control was my temper,which caused me a few problems at work and in my daily life. I had gotten into a few fights with relatives and even strangers in stores, my mother used to warn me to go to a doctor to get my blood pressure checked but I knew better. Now I'm getting around my apartment with a cane which is an improvement over the wheel chair I was using before. My goal is to get back outside and start moving a few miles a day.

Randy, it's great to have you back. I really missed your posts and various newspaper clips. As I read your post, it struck me that there is a way around the one-hand keyboard entry. I don't have your physical problem, but I often use a program that lets me talk instead of type. I use a Mac and the program is MacSpeech Dictate. It really works amazingly well and I know that there is a PC equivalent, if that's the platform you use.

What you said about being fooled by how we feel into thinking that we are in top shape is something we all should be aware of. Thanks for the reminder. Take good care of yourself, and please keep posting here.

Chris