Twilight Zone Jazz

Teasing the Korean

25 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Well to spin the fathom a bit further - topic interests me - here is the content of the "Ultra Lounge" CD FYI

I have thought about the theme of the topic. Probably we can find more in some sound tracks & compilations  as these here:

a) Lalo Schifrin has his own style of composing and arranging

b) Pete Rugolo (know him mostly from my Kenton recordings) but he likes to experiment too:

.... and this one

I will have to re-spin "Jack the Ripper."  

I would say that Lalo's Mission: Impossible albums fall on the cusp between the 1960s spy sound and the emerging sound of 70s urban cop show funk.  His "Bullitt" main title from a year or two later really ushered in the 70s urban sound. 

To my ears, I hear a difference between what we might call "crime jazz" or "private eye jazz," and what I'm referring to as "Twilight Zone jazz."  That latter is more abstract; has an ambiguous tonal center; and conveys a sense of nervousness, desperation, confusion, or unease.  

I would also suggest that some of the best Twilight Zone jazz may have been written by classically trained composers who may not have been fully immersed in jazz.  Franz Waxman's Crime in the Streets, which I posted above, may be a good example of this phenomenon.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6.2.2020 at 2:00 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

To my ears, I hear a difference between what we might call "crime jazz" or "private eye jazz," and what I'm referring to as "Twilight Zone jazz."  That latter is more abstract; has an ambiguous tonal center; and conveys a sense of nervousness, desperation, confusion, or unease.  

Probably this one fits into that cathegory?

37821146tl.jpg

37821148zk.jpg

37821147hj.jpg

I am not so sure about that.

In the end I will of course bow to the judgment of TTK, the expert in this field ;), but while my original of the Dr. Kildare LP has a few pops and crackles  the music comes through well enough for me to feel this is yet another "westcoast jazzy mood theme and soundtrack" LPs. Look at it - you will see that quite a few of the tracks there are not exactly supposed to be set to a "Twilight Zone" mood (starting with the Shirley Temple Show - which of course as such doesn't mean anything to you or me over here but still we do know who Shirley Temple was - even in later years, right? ;)) In fact I find that LP even less "crime-y" or "twilight zone-y" than the "The Wild One" (Leith Stevens) or "Hot Rod Rumble" soundtrack LPs (two of few LPs in that genre I have here), for example.  Even the Aaron Bell "77 Sunset Strip" LP would fit that category better in comparison, I think.

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I am not so sure about that.

Well opinions respected. I am not  a connoisseur either of the species "what is Twilight music or sound". I do agree its a fine west coast music Lp as the 2 others you did mention (here too). So I have nothing more to offer in that context. ;-]]

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Well opinions respected. I am not  a connoisseur either of the species "what is Twilight music or sound". I do agree its a fine west coast music Lp as the 2 others you did mention (here too). So I have nothing more to offer in that context. ;-]]

Why not check out some of the examples that I posted? 

20 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Why not check out some of the examples that I posted? 

I did but the music doesnt fascinate me enough to pursue it. There might be more in the sound track department but I concentrate more on swinging jazz with a few "off road" samples here and then during the time.

Stumbled recently over the music of Lalo Schifrin when looking at his 4 CD box.

I add a list of tracks from these 4 CDs. As it seems there might be some examples  in that "twighlight mood"  among his works. Cant say which ones because I have  played only once 2 CDs  and  that was some time ago

37864942zq.jpg

37864943df.jpg

• 1 year later...