Your favorite "obscure" piano trio recordings

Joe

Only a couple of years old but I don't see this marvellous disc mentioned much:

37223067.jpg

'Aurora'

Thank you so much for this suggestion. I downloaded it from eMusic yesterday and used it for my wake up album this morning. Wonderful, peaceful, inventive music.

There's a new duet album between Guy and Fernandez just up on e-music.

If you don't know them I'd also recommend Guy's trio discs with Marilyn Crispell and Paul Lytton.

I strongly agree on the initial mention of Amina Claudine Myers' Circle of Time and - a bit later in the thread - Dave Burrell's High Won-High Two. And the Richard Wyands Then, Here and Now (which was on Jazzcraft before Storyville reissued it.)

An album that was one of the first jazz recordings I ever bought is Off Centre by British pianist John Cameron, which is now available again as a CD reissue. Love that record!

Off Centre

Okay, technically it's not a trio record, as Harold McNair plays flute and saxophones. But it definitely fits the "obscure" part...

nothing obscure about that record where i come from. masterful. "troublemaker" even cam out on a Deram 45.

180300388626.jpg

now that is pretty tough to find.

On this side of the big pond I'd bet that not too many people have even heard Cameron's name, much less listened to his music though. Man, I want a copy of that 45! Especially if the Anarchy spinner is included. :rofl:

Nice ! :) I've got a copy of the 'Off Centre' LP but the 45rpm 'Troublemaker' single is a tough one to find. It was reissued on the 'Jazzman' label some years back I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my favorite "obscure" piano trio albums is by Connie Crothers — Perception. One of the most interesting Tristanoites in my opinion. Her "Lennie's Scene" is how I'd play piano if I could.

Luckily, this album is available on disc and is also available through iTunes. Check it out!

post-282-126725627846_thumb.jpg

I just picked up a Tony Zano LP last week (at Stereo Jack's). It's called "In Retrospect." Recorded in New York in 1983 and issued in 1987 on Mark MJS-57624. He's joined by Teddy Kotick on bass and Joe Hunt on drums.

"In Retrospect"

Chris Anderson: The Inverted Image

Also, Tony Zano was a very interesting and under-appreciated pianist, cerebral and with some great ideas. I can't think of any titles except for a very early release: Everything Swings.

• 8 years later...
On 30.12.2009 at 5:48 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Piano Trios are a specialty of mine. Here are some of my favorite CDs by musicians who have a low profile, and whose recordings deserve, in my opinion,

to be heard. I don't believe any of these have been previously mentioned in this thread.

Frank Strazzeri Trio - I Remember You - Fresh Sound

Jodie Christian Trio - Blues Holiday - Steeplechase

:tup:tup:tup!!!

Here are a number of (good)  additional "obscure" Piano Trio recordings.  

Donald Brown Trio - Autumn in New York - Space Time

Todd Coolman Trio (Renee Rosnes, Lewis Nash) - Tomorrows - BRC

David Newton Trio - Pacific Heights - BND  

Wray Downes Trio - For You ...E - Justin Time

Mick Pyne Trio - Live at Ronnie Scott's - Spotlite

John Horler / Jeff Clyne / Trevor Tomkins - Sorry It's Been So Long - Woodville

Georges Arvanitas Trio - Recontre - Columbia

Mark Eisenman Trio - Sweet & Lovely - Cornerstone

Rene Urtreger Trio - Move - Black & Blue

Gene DiNovi's Generations Trio - The Three Optimists at The Old Mill - Sackville

Not sure if these have been mentioned - some images have been deleted in previous posts:

See the source image

Billy Bean, Hal Gaylor, Walter Norris: The Trio

See the source image

Frank Hewett: We Loved You

71aCkfR8WuL._SL1095_.jpg

Barry Harris Trio: Chasin' the Bird

Barry Harris isn't an obscure name, especially here. but I'm sure that this hasn't sold many copies over the years, and it's a very good one.