James Moody

Mark Stryker

On 12/31/2009 at 2:42 PM, BillF said:

I have only two Moody items - very contrasting items - in my collection. The first is Moods by McGhee, a 10" LP on the French Guilde du Jazz label, which I've had since about 1960, and which features, as well as the leaders, Milt Jackson, Hank Jones, Ray Brown and J C Heard in about 1947. The second, which I bought a couple of months ago, is Moody's Mood for Blues on OJC/Prestige which consists of great septet sides from 1954-55, originally issued on two 10" LPs, I believe.

d92281pecn4.jpg

I picked up a used copy of this at the Mosaic warehouse sale in March, and listened to it tonight.  To say I was impressed would be an understatement.  Wow!  The mood, the charts, the playing, Eddie Jefferson, it was all so enjoyable.

The liner notes indicate that this CD (OJCCD-1837) and two others (Hi Fi Party, OJCCD-1780, and Wail Moody Wail, OJCCD-1791) chronologically resequence 7 sessions that were broken up on prior LPs.  The others seem hard to come by, now.

Looking further, I see a whole bunch of sessions on Argo and EmArcy that need proper re-releases.  Wish that could happen.  Moody was magnificent.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:47 AM, mikeweil said:

That LP with Mickey Tucker on organ (IIRC) is on my wish list for a long time - hard to find.

It's a FANTASTIC record, Mike.

I made a 70s-jazz Various Artists compilation for my son a while back, and his very favorite cut was Moody's version of "Freedom Jazz Dance" from Never Again!