My 101 year old mother died on New Year's Day

My wife posted the following on her face book page:

"Faye Claener Medjuck (b. 1908), wonderful wife , mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, great grandmother--rest in peace. Died peacefully early morning this New Year's Day. We always marveled that Faye was the energizer bunny, even at 101, so we're not a bit surprised she saw the New Year in."

I managed to get back to New Brunswick a couple of days before she died. She was already in the hospital getting good care and being kept comfortable but even the Energizer Bunny eventually runs down.

The funeral will be Monday and my family is on the way but we've got a blizzard here and most of them are stuck in Toronto-- the last stop on their way here. One of my sisters has flown back from a vacation in Africa and will also spend in the night in Toronto.

So I'm in a a hotel room in Fredericton New Brunswick catching up on the always interesting news at the Organissimo Forums.

She definitely had a full life. Born in Russia and emigratied to Canada about 1913 (we think-- she never talked about it and implied (she never actually lied about it) that she was born in Cape Breton where she grew up. Moved to Fredericton after she married my Dad and lived here for more than 70 years.

Sorry to hear about this. Coincidentally, my great-grandmother (who lived to be 107) emigrated from Tolchin, Ukraine to Halifax via London around the time you describe, before eventually settling in Chicago by the time of my grandfather's birth in 1919. I wonder what the chances are of their having crossed paths...

so sorry Joe - my grandmother was born in Russia and emigrated to the US around 1900 - we also don't know the exact date. Though they weren't precisely of the same generation (my grandmother was born in 1900), these were Jews who truly experienced a way of life and a way living that we can barely comprehend - especially that cross-ocean passage, which my grandmother, like yours, did as a child, on her own.

best to you and your family.

Edited by AllenLowe

I'm sorry to hear this. She had a hell of a ride, though...

My wife's grandmother died at 97 and my grandmother is still going strong at 91. Long life can be a curse, as well as a blessing. My grandmother complains (in a humorous fashion) about how she hadn't planned on living this long, and that it's really messed her finances up. She recently used her age to get out of Jury Duty. Her comment: "Why would they want 91-year-olds serving on juries, anyway? They'd just fall asleep...or die."

Seriously, my condolences. Remember the good times...