Coleman Hawkins: "A Documentary" (Riverside)

Postif?

François Postif, indeed!

François and I cowrote a series of articles in the late '50s.

I was even supposed to be along when he interviewed Lester Young at the Hotel d'Angleterre on the Rue de la Boétie (off the Champs-Elysées avenue) but could not make it because I had to complete work on some damn highschool studies :mellow:

:mellow:

Brownie - you coulda met Prez!

oh well - it's not exactly the same but it's like the time I had a chance to go see Ray Nance, and couldn't because I was sick - and he died the next week or so.

but Prez! imagine being in the same room -

I'd give up 10 years of my life for something like that (assuming that I'll live to 110) -

Edited by AllenLowe

I did see him when he walked in at the Club Saint-Germain at around the same time. He did not play and did not stay very long.

I did see Billie Holiday at the same Hotel d'Angleterre (Prez recommended her the hotel). Even spent an evening with her and several friends!

Somewhere around here, in a closet, tucked away in an old Scotch tape box there is a reel of 51 years old tape containing my interview with Billie. It took place in her dressing room at Pep's, a Philadelphia club where she was appearing. Unlike my "interview" with Prez, which was never meant to be heard as such, this was done for my radio show and meant to be heard in toto. I haven't had a rel-to-reel deck in many years, so I don't even know what I've got in those tape boxes, but there should also be interviews with Rex Stewart, Jimmy Rushing, Willie the Lion. Mahalia. Count Basie, Lem Winchester, and others. Perhaps it has all turned to magnetized brittle. :(

Yes, Allen, I'm postif you are right. The character Francis in "Round Midnight" is partially based on him.

Brownie, you must be kicking yourself about missing that interview! It's extremely atmospheric and hypnotic, with all the rich cussing and sound effects, such as matches striking. I had to laugh when Francis didn't know about the suburb of New Orleans called Algiers.

Yes, Allen, I'm postif you are right. The character Francis in "Round Midnight" is partially based on him.

Paudras, not Postif, in Round Midnight.

But Positif in real life, which is what I meant.

Postif and Paudras were two different (real-life) people. The 'Round Midnight character was based on Francis Paudras, the commercial artist who was a writer and jazz aficionado who befriended and supported Bud Powell, among others. François Postif wrote (French-language) jazz articles for magazines.

Best wishes.

CHris - we need to find a place to try and transfer those - you never know what might still be left -

I know, Allen. BTW, I was at the post office when you posted this. :)

I also have a one-hour (or is it 2?) roundtable discussion about the future of something called jazz. It took place over 50 years ago and the panelists include, if memory serves, Hentoff, Martin, and Schuller.

• 2 years later...

3.7 thanks for the link

edit: The cover art is included in the 'sbrhs001m-3.zip'.

You don't have to download it separately.

edit2: I cleaned up the files and re-packaged them.

Just a basic clean up. I still have to listen to the interview :-)

http://rapidgator.net/file/46116396/Coleman_Hawkins_Interview.rar.html

Edited by flat5