Blue Note logos

sonnymax

Happy New Year all! I'm looking for some help in clarifying when Blue Note changed a couple of it's label logos.

This one appears to have been used in the early 50s:

logoBluenote.jpg

The earliest example I found of this most familiar Blue Note logo is 1959:

blue_note_records_logo.png

I'm curious if other people have different information, and if there was a time in the mid- to late-50s when BN had perhaps a different logo.

I'm not really interested in the design of the LP label, but if someone wishes to share that info, that's cool too. Thanks in advance.

Btw, anyone ever buy a pair of these boogaloo shoes?

adidas-blue-note-01.jpg

That logo you have is the 1985-to the present version of the '59 era one. Theres a newer variation without any text in the barline, and of course for various new albums in the past 12 or 15 years they have resurrected the '64-66 era version with the catalog numbers in the entire whole note portion of the logo. In 1959, for only Jackie Mac's "New Soil" and Blakey's "At the Jazz Corner of the World" issues, on the front cover on the upper left hand corner there was a vertical stripe with "BLUE NOTE" the catalog number and a half white/black LP label design. There's also the version from '68-71 or so with the solid color logo with "BLUE NOTE" underneath in a square. Then the lowercase "b" logo, used on labels and album covers from about '73 till the label shut down until 1985. From what I've read and understand about the shoes, mostly hip hop fans with no interest in jazz are buying them.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 8 years later...