Eric Alexander vs Joshua Redman

mrjazzman

It's unbelievalbe that Eric came in second to Joshua in the Thelonious Monk competition a few years ago. IMO there's no comparison between the two. I can't hear Redman's music at all. Eric more than any of the other tenorists today plays "in the tradition".

I'm not really interested in the argument, but I do think it's a little silly to judge the quality of anybody's music by how "in" or "out" of "the tradition" (or any tradition) they are.

I also think the initiator of this thread might have been trolling.

No troll here, just interested in others opinions when they differ from mine.........

After reading all these responses I'm surprised a few things haven't been touched on.

Apples & oranges! Alexander has admitted himself that he's not doing anything groundbreaking...he's not trying to reinvent himself constantly. He just wants to play straight ahead jazz. And he does it with a modern approach - he plays "inside" but has an incredible harmonic sense that allows him to get "outside" just long enough to be extremely tasteful in the style. Alexander has been doing this since his first release "Straight Up" and will continue to do so. I'm someone who digs straight ahead playing very much - so all in all, Alexander has been in the heaviest rotation for me in the past 10 years.

Redman on the other hand is a player who is much more well-rounded and capable of playing in many styles. He's also grown quite a bit since that Monk competition. He's one of the only guys out there I can think of that has given a unique approach (notably the Elastic band on the Elastic & Momentum recordings) While Redman is extremely well rounded in terms of style, I personally don't feel he plays in the straight ahead post-bop genre better than Alexander. Can he play some funk/rock oriented stuff better than Alexander? I think so, without a doubt. I think his trio approach has been very interesting in recent years. He's very exposed...and there's so much communication going on. Sax/drums/bass, a la Sonny Rollins has been a really beautiful outlet for his playing.

In terms of their command of the instrument...Redman clearly has more control in the altissimo register which he capitalizes on. Alexander I feel is much more comfortable at blazing fast tempos. I think it's also interesting what someone earlier noted...Alexander has recorded a TON more than Redman. 31 albums as a leader. 20 as a co-leader. 132 albums as a sideman (from my research - not a definitive number). Redman doesn't even touch this. In terms of live performance, I'm pretty sure that Alexander is much more active as well. Is this because Redman is pulling in more money because of greater name recognition? Or Alexander is incredibly ambitious? Probably a little of both.

Regardless, Alexander & Redman are easily my two favorite living tenor players. I would kill for a recording (or even just a set list!) of what these two (along w/ Potter) played at that infamous Thelonious Monk Competition.

Wow, I'm the original poster and I could not have said it better, I agree with you 100 per cent. I never said I didn't like Joshua, I own Wish and Joshua Redman and like both titles........

• 11 years later...

This old thread has some quite interesting discussions, quite aside from from the core questions that are discussed.

There are a number of names of musicians with whom I am familiar but whose work I really don't know, largely because I don't really keep abreast of modern "genre work" in the bebop/hard bop world. 

I would be grateful if someone who likes these players could recommend me one record for each of the following players that he or she thinks is a good representation of the player at his or her best (it needn't be a leader date):

Grant Stewart

Tardo Hammer

Scott Hamilton

Sasha Perry

Steve Ash

Thank you in advance.

5 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I don't have enough exposure to say this is his "best" but it's a good album and I think he plays well: 

R-2794219-1602618893-9633.jpeg.jpg

I think Scottie deserves a leader date and something more recent than 36 years ago!

How about:

R-6408014-1553467558-3430.jpeg.jpg

or:

60442d6538f58835988eb32dbb618f5b.jpg

This probably my favourite Grant Stewart leader date:

8712474126927.jpg?20210504134220

And here he is in other excellent company:

51df0CQkfbL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by BillF

Yesterday read through this entire thread. It is somewhat strange to realize that all but the most recent few posts were from eleven years ago. My guess is that the opinions expressed would most likely be exactly the same today.

The playing of Eric Alexander, Grant Stewart and Scott Hamilton today would have been expected to have changed a bit with all those 11 years of experience as a result of maturity and playing over all those years with a large variety of musicians throughout the world. I suppose the way to judge that might be to play their early recordings to the most recent ones.

33 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Yesterday read through this entire thread. It is somewhat strange to realize that all but the most recent few posts were from eleven years ago. My guess is that the opinions expressed would most likely be exactly the same today.

The playing of Eric Alexander, Grant Stewart and Scott Hamilton today would have been expected to have changed a bit with all those 11 years of experience as a result of maturity and playing over all those years with a large variety of musicians throughout the world. I suppose the way to judge that might be to play their early recordings to the most recent ones.

Re early recordings, I think the biggest change would be heard in Scott Hamilton, who at the age of 66 has had a much longer career than the others, and whose influences sound to have moved from Ben Webster to Zoot Sims over the years.

22 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I read my own comments at least, and was a bit surprised that I expressed some mild criticism of Eric Alexander's playing. I take it back. No issues whatsoever. Excellent player. 

This is a relatively early Alexander record but I think it stands up as one of his best:

R-10787987-1504334328-5030.jpeg.jpg

Here is one of Scott's best IMHO

41WSVMY64AL.jpg

And I agree with the very positive assessment of this Grant Stewart CD

R-2307685-1275864773.jpeg.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

I was driving in my car yesterday listening to the Real Jazz channel on SXM radio and a few seconds into a sax solo, I thought, "That's Eric Alexander". I looked at the screen and saw that it was Joe Chambers playing "Evidence". When I got home, I looked it up. Joe Chambers playing Horace Silver tunes with Eric Alexander on Tenor.

I can "hear" Eric Alexander fine. This attitude that he has no originality doesn't work for me.

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I can "hear" Eric Alexander fine. This attitude that he has no originality doesn't work for me.

Same here, but even today it's s like he's the guy who is almost George Coleman. I guess that's his voice, because, yes it is almost immediately identifiable!