Eric Rohmer dies at age of 89

ejp626

He had a long career and was making films until recently... haven't seen many though (and skipped his last one, which didn't sound very interesting).

Anyway, when I'll get a chance to see some of his films on the big screen, I'll certainly catch it (I missed out on his last retrospective here... I think something else was running at the local cinematheque at the same time, forcing me to make picks...)

Le Monde's obit:

http://www.lemonde.fr/carnet/article/2010/01/11/mort-d-eric-rohmer-legende-du-cinema-francais_1290329_3382.html#ens_id=1290326

Probably my favorite film maker. A true loss.

You have to like that sort of movie. A common reaction is "Nothing happened during that movie. All they did was talk." If this sounds like you, you wouldn't like his movies. But for others, ahhh...

No, really, there are so many wonderful Eric Rohmer movies. Off the top of my head: Claire's Knee, My Night at Maud's, Pauline at the Beach, Summer (original title: Le Rayon Vert), Boyfriends and Girlfriends...

Nothing much happens. Yet so much happens.

Thank you, Mr. Rohmer.

He had a long career and was making films until recently... haven't seen many though (and skipped his last one, which didn't sound very interesting).

Anyway, when I'll get a chance to see some of his films on the big screen, I'll certainly catch it (I missed out on his last retrospective here... I think something else was running at the local cinematheque at the same time, forcing me to make picks...)

Le Monde's obit:

http://www.lemonde.fr/carnet/article/2010/01/11/mort-d-eric-rohmer-legende-du-cinema-francais_1290329_3382.html#ens_id=1290326

Please let us know if you come across an English translation.

Huge loss, first film i saw of him on a big screen is L'Anglaise et le duc (The Lady and the Duke) which showed without a doubt that for a man coming from another era, he still had both feet in the present.

Was also fascinated by Perceval Le Gaulois, starring a youngish Fabrice Lucchini. As mjzee commented his film his films were of the stereotypical french movies with plenty of dialogue, but thise who went beyond those prejudices he truly made some gems.

If i'm not mistaken but from this era only Resnais remains.

Reposez en paix monsieur Rohmer.

Not to highjack this thread commemorating Mr. Rohmer, but Jean-Luc Godard is still with us.

Those French filmmakers live long. Jacques Rivette, Godard, Chris Marker, Alain Resnais - all alive and working and past 75 years of age.

Rohmer lived a full life and left us with an amazing series of films. R.I.P.

Eric Rohmer's death is frontpage (also 9 more pages inside) news in today's Liberation

preview.jpg

The headline reads 'To the end of the tale'

Quite a change for a very discreet filmmaker.

Rohmer was a very influential contributor to Les Cahiers du Cinéma and its editor in chief from 1957 and 1962.

A lover and craftsman of words (this was at the center of his austere and moralistic films), his ascetic silhouette could be seen roaming the streets of Paris (he shunned cars and - unless I am mistaken - had no driver's license) until very recently.

We still have his films to appreciate.

Eric Rohmer's death is frontpage (also 9 more pages inside) news in today's Liberation

preview.jpg

The headline reads 'To the end of the tale'

Quite a change for a very discreet filmmaker.

Rohmer was a very influential contributor to Les Cahiers du Cinéma and its editor in chief from 1957 and 1962.

A lover and craftsman of words (this was at the center of his austere and moralistic films), his ascetic silhouette could be seen roaming the streets of Paris (he shunned cars and - unless I am mistaken - had no driver's license) until very recently.

We still have his films to appreciate.

Thanks for the alert, bought me a copy of today's "Liberation"!

A short, but interesting, analysis of Rohmer's technique from Slate: Slate piece

In Rohmer-world, events that seem random and quotidian suddenly coalesce into pristinely constructed stories. It's only in the last few minutes of The Aviator's Wife that we realize how every turn of the plot (in which a semi-spurned lover lurks around Paris spying on his rival) has been necessary for the final twists to make sense. Rohmer characters are often flâneurs, wanderers, time-wasters, but the films they meander through never waste a moment. And though his use of conventional cinematic frills—showy camera moves, non-diegetic music—is sparing, no one could call his movies austere. They take pleasure in everything: in nature, weather, language, color, light, and above all the varieties of female beauty. Has any director ever had better taste in women?

Not to highjack this thread commemorating Mr. Rohmer, but Jean-Luc Godard is still with us.

Those French filmmakers live long. Jacques Rivette, Godard, Chris Marker, Alain Resnais - all alive and working and past 75 years of age.

Truffaut passed away rather early, though. Only 52, I believe. WAY too early.

A short, but interesting, analysis of Rohmer's technique from Slate: Slate piece

In Rohmer-world, events that seem random and quotidian suddenly coalesce into pristinely constructed stories. It's only in the last few minutes of The Aviator's Wife that we realize how every turn of the plot (in which a semi-spurned lover lurks around Paris spying on his rival) has been necessary for the final twists to make sense. Rohmer characters are often flâneurs, wanderers, time-wasters, but the films they meander through never waste a moment. And though his use of conventional cinematic frills—showy camera moves, non-diegetic music—is sparing, no one could call his movies austere. They take pleasure in everything: in nature, weather, language, color, light, and above all the varieties of female beauty. Has any director ever had better taste in women?

That is a great description. Rohmer's films are sensual, but not in an overripe way. They're bursting with life.

Truffaut passed away rather early, though. Only 52, I believe. WAY too early.

Any time is probably too early, but you're right - 52 was WAY too early.

Add Agnes Varda & Chabrol to the list, too. Actually, it's amazing how many of that generation ARE still around, making films. Good ones, too, judging from those I've seen (A Girl Cut in Half for instance).

Edited by Nate Dorward