New Paul Motian trio on ECM

Bol

I just saw an ECM ad about this in JazzTimes. I don't know when the release date is, but it should be a really interesting and lively disc. I read a NYT review of one of their gigs some time ago and I salivated then. Good thing there will be a recording.

Edited by Bol

• 3 weeks later...

I was at one of the 3 in 1 Trio shows last February at the Vanguard and thought that the combination (Chris Potter, Jason Moran, Paul Motian) was one of the very best shows that I attended last year.

Any idea of a potential date for the ECM release? Too early to be posted on the website.

LWayne

• 1 month later...

For a live recording this sounds great, Potter is very soulful on this and Moran shines (I prefer him as a sideman than on his own records). Tempo wise its what you would expect from a recent Motian ECM release but has a nice warm NY 50's noir feel. I dig it.

Well, I adjusted the bass volume, and that seems to make it better. I do wish though that Motian was somewhat more upfront.

Also, I'm not sure about Potter. He is able enough, but not very interesting. I think Bill McHenry, another frequent Motian collaborator, would have been a much more interesting choice. Less brawn, but more surprises.

I know: Complain, complain!!

Quietly artful or just quietly dull? Did ECM select the sleepy tracks even though the gigs were supposedly lively? I am trying to support new jazz releases but don't want (yet another) dull dud, so further opinions appreciated.

Judging by other Motian gigs I've attended, I'm guessing ECM was intentionally selective in favor of the slower material at the beginning of the disc. "Drum Music" and "Ten" are fairly intense free jazz performances.

Guy

Quietly artful for sure. It's beautiful - "dull" is certainly not how I would describe this recording. I was there for the gig, and have the CD - Moran and Potter both play Motian's music beautifully, with restraint where called for, but some of the later tracks, like "Ten" and "Drum Music" are much more energetic. I don't know your taste, but I think it's one of Paul's best records, and would recommend it to anyone who appreciates Paul's music.

OK well thanks for those nudges. I do enjoy Paul Motian's playing and he it was who turned me on to jazz at a concert at Leeds University many moons ago (he was part of a quintet led by John Taylor, featuring Evan Parker.... ahhh, had I only realised....). I guess I will find it a bit sleepy (um, a 'sleeper' is something which gets ignored on issue but which people slowly realise is excellent). Somnifery aside, I guess I'll get over to amazon and give it a go.

I saw this trio last night at the Vanguard, with Greg Osby subbing for Potter. I felt that Osby was somewhat superfluous except as a colorist, though Moran and Motian were terrific and really locked in. They played "Mode VI", "Lost in a Dream", "Ten", and "Drum Music" from the recent album as well as "Round Midnight", "The Sunflower", "Once Around the Park" and a few other tunes I didn't recognize. Much more uptempo than the album.

I saw this trio last night at the Vanguard, with Greg Osby subbing for Potter. I felt that Osby was somewhat superfluous except as a colorist, though Moran and Motian were terrific and really locked in. They played "Mode VI", "Lost in a Dream", "Ten", and "Drum Music" from the recent album as well as "Round Midnight", "The Sunflower", "Once Around the Park" and a few other tunes I didn't recognize. Much more uptempo than the album.

Moran and Mary Halvorson will be playing together at the "CareFusion" NY Jazz Fest. Too bad it is happening the weekend my sister is getting married in Minnesota!

I like the slow stuff. As I said in another thread, it seems a bit sacrilegious to have a Paul Motian Trio that does not include Frisell and Lovano. That said, I am enjoying the disc. At times it strikes me that Potter sounds a lot like Jan Garbarek on first impression.

At times it strikes me that Potter sounds a lot like Jan Garbarek on first impression.

Yeah that occurred to me. But also Jason Moran uses a good deal of ECM phrasing and harmonies. Since I doubt that many musicians sit around copying licks off ECM records I wondered if Eicher had compiled a riff-book that he hands out at the sessions.

That said (and I only listened to three tracks) I like Potter's super-trained playing. I know that a lot of folks prefer older-school self-trained styles, but I must say that turning to Potter after listening to a few sides of 70s/80s LPs in recent days I found myself strongly preferring Potter to some notionally biggger names.

I did wonder how it was that drummer could write so many tunes that lacked a basic pulse, but then I remembered that if Motian is known for liberating the drums from time-keeping then he can hardly expect anybody else to keep it that snappy.

As far as the recording goes, I find it wonderful. I'm not sure that Motian is under-recorded - I just think he's keeping it down.

Hey, if I ever get past the first three tracks I'll post an even longer and wittier review. Ho ho!