Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brownie

Dick Johnson 1925-2010

7 posts in this topic

This is really sad news. Dick was revered here in Boston for decades - s superb musician.

Also made several nice records for Concord in the 80's.

r.i.p.

I think all I've heard is one of those Concord discs, but I can't even remember its title. I'd love to hear the Riverside one, looks like a great one, with that line-up!

That's one of the Riversides never reissued as OJC, so I never heard his playing - R.I.P.

Dick's Riverside date, "Most Likely" along with his Emarcy recording, "Music for Swinging" were reissued as a single CD by Fresh Sounds back in 2008. Recorded in 1956-1957.

Catalog # FSR-CD-528. Great playing from Dick and Dave McKenna on the Riverside session.

A friend of mine fixed me up with a copy of his Riverside album - great stuff! My friend also knew and played with Dick Johnson and said that he was a good guy.

R.I.P., Mr. Johnson.

A fine talent all around, and especially as a clarinetist -- good enough for Artie Shaw to ask Dick to play/lead his new orchestra in 1981. I had a chance to meet him and interview him then. A real nice guy, who, while admiring Shaw, didn't seem to be intimidated by him or his music.

I remember a story about that time (was it through Bill Crow?): in his thick Brockton Massachusetts accent, he phoned a company to print up some covers for the "The Artie Shaw Orchestra led by Dick Johnson" band books. When they arrived they read "The Ottie Shore Orchestra led by Dick Johnson"