I Walked with Giants

That should be a great read. Jimmy was also briefly interviewed by a writer called Valerie Wilmer, years and years ago. And he was also on Marian McPartland's "Piano Jazz" once.

Lol, there was a last page in that Wilmer book, entitled "The One That Got Away". It went something like this: "But Mr Davis ...!". "Listen, baby! When I say later, I mean later ...."

Valerie Wilmer

Val Wilmer - esteemed UK photographer and jazz writer. She interviewed many of the big names in the 1960s and 70s in particular. Also took some wonderful photos of Coltrane.

The Jimmy Heath book promises to be great. It will be interesting to read what he has to say about Coltrane and also the 60s period working for Blue Note and Riverside.

I was fortunate to catch Jimmy Heath a couple of years ago twice in one day, first at an open admission class at Palm Beach Community College where he fronted a quartet, three locals comprising the basic rhythm section. He discussed and demonstrated how original jazz melodic lines can be placed over standard chord changes and took Q&A from the audience. Very engaging as well as his wife, Mona, with whom I chatted afterwards.

That evening for the ridiculously low price of $10, I showed up for the public concert, again at PBCC, where Heath fronted an orchestra led by the PBCC's David Gibble, performing many of his jazz compositions that he has arranged over the years, e.g., "C.T.A.", "Gingerbread Boy", etc.

Heath advertises regularly at the back of various periodicals, e.g., "JazzTimes", in which he offers to conduct master classes at various colleges, venues, etc. I'm sure this is how these one day events came about. In any event, he is a warm, engaging, obviously talented, individual, still going strong. I look forward to also reading a book of his life.

Edited by MartyJazz

• 2 weeks later...