Ed Thigpen R.I.P.

ghost of miles

Yet more sad news - and one of the most 'musical' drummers in jazz :( . Always liked his work with Oscar and the 'Out of the Storm' session. I'll give that one a spin - RIP.

He was based in Copenhagen for many years I think - certainly since the mid-70s and the 'Action Reaction' band.

Edited by sidewinder

Ed Thigpen wasn't a stranger to younger musicians and newer forms of music. Check out his playing on John Lindberg's Quartet Afterstorm w. Lindberg, Eric Watson, and Albert Mangelsdorff (a contemporary who was also open to newer forms) and Lindberg's Bounce w. Lindberg, Dave Douglas, and Larry Ochs. He plays beautifully on both of these.

Thanks for all that you gave us, Mr. Thigpen.

I was a student of his for a while way back when life seemed a lot easier and carefree.

All I can say is that to this day, 30 years later, Ed still remains one of the friendliest, coolest and all-around nicest people I have ever met in my life.

A true gentleman, through and through, a great teacher and ... most importantly ... a fabulous musician. He was a well of musical knowledge, understanding and perception. He was also a man of impeccable timing and technique, innovative and stylish, always in tune with the music he was accompanying.

The last time we talked on the phone I asked him if it was possible to put together a discography of every sessions he had ever played on, something I wanted to put online somewhere one day, and he only laughed out loud. He liked the idea but thought it impossible.

Whenever I had the chance and no matter what he was doing I tried to be there at the concert although it happened fewer and fewer times these last 10 years. Since the late 70s, I've seen him play live hundreds of times, usually around Scandinavia. What always astonished me was the great variety in what he was doing, especially in the later part of his career.

We also shouldn't forget that one of the most important things Ed wanted to achieve in his career was to pass on what he knew to the next generation(s) and if you look at his itinerary for the last few decades, that is also exactly what he did. In that sense, it is even sadder that many of the young musicians will now only have the many spectacular recordings to learn from that he left behind.

It was really his personality that made his music shine.

Through and through.

Rest in peace.

I'm getting a little tired of these reports... :(

RIP.

Fully agree!

Wish there was a way to reverse the trend!

Ed Thigpen's departure is very sad news :(

No way we can reverse that trend, unfortunately. But knowing that it's there gives us all a good reason to treasure those who are still with us, and to let them know that whenever we have the opportunity. And I'm not just talking about musicians when I say that.