Evolution LP reissue

brownie

I was impressed with the sound of this recent LP reissue of Grachan Moncur's classic 'Evolution'. This was manufactured - with approval from Michael Cuscuna - by the French outfit Heavenly Sweetness.

'Evolution' and several other BN LPs are currently available in selected record stores and on French ebay

A recent article in the French magazine Shook.

Need I say I have no connection whatsoever with the company?

Thanks - I'll keep a look out for them. I have a good copy of 'Evolution' NY mono pressing so will pass on that particular one but I'll look out for the Herbie 'Dimensions & Inventions'. I've stayed away from those US Scorpio pressings that are everywhere in the shops though, based on feedback from trusted listeners..

Sounds good - but hopefully Music Matters will do a 2x45rpm stereo issue of 'Evolution' at some stage !

I've bought a lot of those Music Matters pressings. They are really good. The Grant Green 'Matador' is next on my list although I've already got it on King.

The art work seems to be different from the King sleeve for some reason. The 'Inventions and Dimensions' is very tempting. Thanks for the up, Brownie.

The best Bluenote reissues on vinyl I've heard are Herbie's Takin' Off and Dexter's One Flight Up released a few years ago on the now defunct Cisco label, Amazingly quiet pressings and fabulous sound. This French series looks tempting. I feel that the MM 45 rpm series is just too expensive for albums that I have already got on decent sounding CDs ( mcmastered or whatever)

Edited by Clunky

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any other view regarding the sound quality of these Heavenly Sweetness LPs ?

I bought five of them (all except the Art Taylor) and they all sound marvelous -- full, warm, extremely well balanced analogue sound. Better than the CDs that I own.

Great vinyl quality too, not the slightest hint of surface noise, very unlike those other BN vinyl reissues.

Any other view regarding the sound quality of these Heavenly Sweetness LPs ?

I bought five of them (all except the Art Taylor) and they all sound marvelous -- full, warm, extremely well balanced analogue sound. Better than the CDs that I own.

Great vinyl quality too, not the slightest hint of surface noise, very unlike those other BN vinyl reissues.

encouraging , thanks

The best Bluenote reissues on vinyl I've heard are Herbie's Takin' Off and Dexter's One Flight Up released a few years ago on the now defunct Cisco label, Amazingly quiet pressings and fabulous sound. This French series looks tempting. I feel that the MM 45 rpm series is just too expensive for albums that I have already got on decent sounding CDs ( mcmastered or whatever)

Interesting. I was personally pretty disappointed with the Cisco TAKIN' OFF. Quiet surface yes but I don't like the EQ choices (or perhaps its the way the master tape sounds and it could have USED some EQ help), bright and thin sounding to me. Kevin Gray is normally an outstanding mastering engineer but I think he just missed it with this one.

The MM 45 rpm albums are indeed expensive but I feel miles better sounding - Kevin collaborates with Steve Hoffman on the mastering of those and they have a much nicer, warmer, expansive sound as is characteristic for Hoffman's mastering style.

Edited by DrJ

• 11 months later...