Leno / O'Brien / Kimmel / Letterman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the midst of all that is happpening in the world today, it's sad to see all these multimillionaires quarreling, being petty, and complaining about getting "screwed".

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/jay-leno-turns-the-tables-bashes-conan-obrien-with-biting-monologue

Not just multimillionaires doing the complaining. Gosh, the shattered 6th-grade lives!

Syracuse Schoolchildren Upset Over White House Response to Letter

Posted: 01/15/10

The students of the H.W. Smith School in Syracuse, N.Y., are upset with President Obama for answering an invitation to visit their school with a form letter, local television station WSYR reports. The children mailed the president a letter on Nov. 13, inviting him to come help them build a snowman. They included a photo of the group, and wrote about how building a snowman together would demonstrate unity and peaceful living.

The reply they received from the White House was dated Nov. 6 -- a week before they sent their letter -- and was addressed to "students." Most of the students said they did not expect the president to visit them, but they had hoped for something more personal than a form letter.

......Simeon Greenberg, a third-grader, added: "I felt disrespected." (Hey Simeon! Put a cork in it, ya brat!!) :P

I agree, Ferguson is now the funniest guy on late night TV, if you can stand to stay up that late. I still don't understand why Leno didn't just retire after leaving The Tonight Show, like Carson did. And why is NBC so bent on keeping him at any cost? Finally, when Leno took over The Tonight Show in '92 his ratings lagged for at least two years. The network stuck with him until he found an audience. Why can't they do the same for Conan? Instead they're destroying a 60-year-old tradition? It makes zero sense.

I agree, Chris, and I don't.

My son downloads Conan and puts it on occasionally when I'm at his place. Conan is a bright lad, but the monologs are mega boring. "We have a great show for you tonight!". And he says "yeah" after each new topic is brought up. They seriously need some writers.

Jay Leno had the highest rated late night show. NBC decided he was getting too old for that show, so replaced him with Conan. Jay goes on at 10 PM, tanks. Conan then tanks in Leno's old slot. Affiliates bitch and moan about the much lower audience numbers for the local news.

It takes a real genius to fuck up the one time slot NBC was winning, 11:35. Now they will likely lose Conan, and have Conan's fans pissed at Leno. Then not only will Leno have to compete with Letterman, but with Conan on Fox, or ABC!

And NBC chief Jeff Zucker was recently given a 3 year contract extension from G.E. for coming in 4th. He has to be a super genius to still have a job.

Jay Leno had the highest rated late night show. NBC decided he was getting too old for that show, so replaced him with Conan.

I believe the decision to move Leno to prime time was based largely on economics. The scripted shows that used to run from 10-11pm cost a lot more to make than the Tonight Show, and NBC hadn't been coming up with many hits in that time slot in recent years. The amount of money they would have saved in substituting Leno for five hours of prime time programming a week would have been substantial, if he had succeeded. I'm very glad he didn't, for it's reasonable to assume that other networks might have followed NBC's example if the experiment had been successful. With all the (un)reality shows and idiotic competition programs that are on now, there's very well-written drama left. Sooner or later I'll probably upgrade my cable package to include HBO, Showtime, and other premium channels that are offering some shows worth watching.

I used to like the old NYC Conan show back in the 90s, when it was still fresh. The band was pretty good, too, and the studio acoustics way better than on Leno's show of the time.

I agree. Conan seemed a lot more relaxed then, as compared to more recent years where he's trying way too hard the minute he comes out for his monologue.

Leno was a decent (not great) stand-up comedian, and used to have good chemistry with Dave when he guested on Letterman's show. As a host... EPIC fail. Too bad, because I think he's a good guy.

That is so right. Conan is too intellectual for a program like the Tonight Show.

I also think Jay is a very nice guy. But he's a very shallow interviewer. He's had many interesting guests and it's frustrating, because they never get into anything interesting. Jay is best when they have something like a dangerous snake and he lets it slither all over him.

CNN is reporting that O'Brien will sign a deal tomorrow that pays him $40 million to leave NBC and the Tonight Show. The only stipulations are that 1) he has to stop bad mouthing NBC and 2) he can't accept any offers from competing networks for one year. Nice deal. One year should give him just about the time he needs to get a show ready for Fox Television.

No one wins- my wife is estatic about Leno coming back- I couldn't care less- I like Conan and Letterman over Leno. Leno is for older folks- older than me. Conan is edgy and I like his sense of humor. So we're a divided household. Glad I go to bed at 10:00P- I'm up at 4:30A.